1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[X]ubuntu Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hwulex, 10 Nov 2007.

1. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I've been googling for the last few hours and struggling with this for longer, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I've never tried to install Ubuntu before but have been meaning to on my home PCs for ages. However I'm a regular user of Ubuntu servers (pre-installed) working in software development, and I have some previous linux experience in RedHat and Slackware, though a while ago now.

I successfully installed the server edition on my P4 Xeon the other day, that all went swimmingly.
    Next up then was the little old Epia I had lying around. Ok so it's only a 533Mhz, but I've stuck 512MB RAM in it so figured I'd at least be alright with Xubuntu.

Unfortunately, however, it doesn't go the same as the server install did. First up, when the CD boots, I get this prompt instead of the usual one: :confused:

[​IMG]

If I choose to boot, it sends loads of loading dots across several lines of screen before I get a loading screen not too dissimilar to the default one (though loading bar is more basic).

After a few seconds of that, I get a busybox prompt: :duh:

[​IMG]

From what I can gather from various googles, BusyBox = install phart. But I can't work out what and why. Someone please help? Going nuts trying to get this bugger working.

I've also tried the Ubuntu Server and Desktop editions I have here to same result. I've md5sum-ed the ISOs and they're kosher.

Full system spec:
    VIA Epia 5000A C3 533Mhz
    512MB TwinMOS PC133 SDRAM CL3
    4GB CF (IDE only) MicroDrive (Primary Master)
    Pioneer DVR-108 (Secondary Master)
    Additional 3COM 3C905B-TXNM NIC

:wallbash:

[EDiT] Forgot to say, I'm installing this with the intention of it being a stop gap router (until I can afford a stand alone on- too many holidays + Christmas argh!), an over-night download server, and a small quiet cheap and quick way to check my email and the odd web page without firing up the main PC.

If there's a better distro, I'm all ears but I'm installing Ubuntu on the server and soon my desktop so consistency might be nice.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2007
  2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I had a few issues with the xubuntu liveCD, quickest way I found to fix it was to use the alternate install CD, it's much better for getting the system onto older kit.

3. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I'm downloading that now. Will report later. Thanks :)

Tags: