1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x2 3800 Coolers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgr55, 19 Dec 2005.

1. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

I Think this is prob the most sensibe place to post this since it isnt really a mod and it isnt extremem cooling in any way

Basically i have a X2 3800

I have an Artic Silencer 64 TC Cooler
    LINK
    I also have AMD's Stock Heatpipe Cooler
    LINK
    Now I'm trying to get a range of oponions on which cooler will do the job best.

There both about the same weight.
    The AMD has heatpipes and a metal base though, but the fins ar closer together and thiner

I think the amd cooler is better so my proposal is this.

Use the Artic Thermal Paste and remove the amd thermal Pad
    try to fit the artic fan onto the AMD sink, or an AKASA 80mm fan that i have lying around.

What do ya think? Artic worth using at all? or just put it back in my "parts" box?

Last edited: 19 Dec 2005
  2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

AMD's heatsink will probably be better, even though the 3800+ one isn't quite as beefy as the version in the review - the AC HSF wasn't designed for the high heat output of dual-core processors. As you said, I think it would be best to remove AMD's stock pad and use some quality paste instead.

P.S. Links are backwards for your coolers ;)

3. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

Sorted the Links.

Cheers. I Thought as much. Going to swap the fan of for something a tad quieter if it isnt going to be too difficult

4. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I feel sort of cheated, I got the retail version of the 3800 X2 and all i got was a crappy hunk of alu, no heat pipes etc... i got the X2 3 days after it came though...

5. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

Contact AMD, send em a photo and tell them u have what seems to be the wrong heatsink. From what i've read alot of people have the non heatpipe 1's and if ya bother them they'll send u out a heatpipe 1

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've got a retail Athlon 64 X2 3800+ heatsink, and it's just an aluminium jobby. The heatpipe cooler in the gamepc link is for X2 4600+, FX-55 and above.

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

My 4400+ came with the intermediate heatsink. All aluminium but with the copper heatpipes - basically identical to the higher ones but without the Cu base.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My X2 3800+ heatsink is identical to my 3000+ Winnie's stock one. Cheap alu thing. Works fine and pretty quiet with a couple tweaks though.