1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics X800XT PE resetting itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johnny Napalm, 23 Jul 2005.

1. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm What's a Dremel?

I've just upgraded from a 9600 Pro to a X800XT Platinum Edition (Powercolor) and have been experiencing problems with it while playing Battlefield 2. After about 90 minutes of play the VPU seems to reset and my monitor switches off forcing a hard reset.

When I first got the card I noticed it seemed to be running rather hot with an idle temperature of around 53-55° C, rising to god knows what when it was taking a hammering. So I cleared the 2 PCI slots next to the AGP and fitted a PCI slot exhaust cooler like this :

[​IMG]

and I also put an extra 80mm case fan in. This dropped the temp to a 34-39° C idle and about 55° C after a bit of a kicking, so I thought it would be ok. But no ! The problem persists.

Has anyone with this card experienced similar problems ? I was thinking maybe if I lower the clockspeed (heresy I know :D) it might cure it but can't find a utility to lower it.

My system spec is :

MSI MS-6714 (Intel 845G) motherboard
    Northwood 2.4 CPU
    2 x 512Mb PC2700 RAM
    300W PSU
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Catalyst 5.6 (5.7 has major issues with BF2)

2. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

if you see in my thread about flashing a x800 pro in the gfx section, ive talked about a friends x800 -> xtpe actually dieing on him. he was playing that exact game when it reset/turned off his machine.

anyways, your power supply looks to be a weak bit of your system expecially running that gfx card as it needs quite a bit of juice to get it running. also, is it a 100% xtpe? or just a x800pro flashed to that spec?

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Power Supply is the problem without a doubt IMHO.

4. Johnny Napalm

I did suspect that one, thats why I listed it in my system spec. Would a 420w Tagan cure it ? I have a few other devices on the current PSU, namely a SCSI CD-RW, an IDE DVD-ROM, a SCSI HDD and a IDE HDD as well as the VGA card and motherboard. I guess demand for juice would be high ! The specifications do state that a 300W PSU minimum should do it though.
    I'm pretty sure the card is a PE - it came without a box but it was stickered up. I do realise that the Pro VIVOs can be flashed up to fix the pipelines and clockspeed, is there a way to accurately tell ? I know the non-VIVOs have the 2 pipelines crippled with a laser but I don't know if I could tell from looking at it as the Pro VIVO's have no laser mark.
    I'd like to try it at the Pro's core/memory settings just out of curiosity though, is there a utility to do this ?

Thanks for the replies so far !

5. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

This is exactly what was happening to my X800 (Pro flashed to XTPE, but it did it with the flash reversed too) - after swapping every other piece of hardware out and reinstalling Windows, and trying the card in another machine, I determined it was the card's fault and sent it off to RMA. The one I got back clocks way better than the old one, too (585/625 16-pipe on silent water) :clap:

6. Johnny Napalm

Well today I fitted a new 425w power supply unit, and it seems to be ok so far (at playing the kids' films, lol) but I haven't given it a proper kicking yet with any games, so fingers crossed !

7. Johnny Napalm

I gave it a good thrashing with BF2 and everything seems fine, so the new Hiper power supply seems to have cured the problem. I've left the slot cooler in, but removed the extra 80mm case fan (YS Tech one, noisy as f00k) and the temps seem pretty stable at 40-41° C at idle
    Thanks for all the suggestions, and if anyone else is having a similar problem, make sure you've enough juice !

Just one last thing, can anyone recommend any super-quiet case fans ?

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

The SilentX ones, but I can't remember where to get them from :(

9. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Noo, SilenX (I have several) are overrated in CFM and underrated in volume - definitely not as good as they're made out to be, and way too expensive. I'd recommend Noiseblockers (Coolercases and Tekheads sell these) or Panaflo L-series (from Dorothy).

Tags: