1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XBMC + .vob = Fail?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Threefiguremini, 25 Aug 2010.

1. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Not sure if this should go here or tech support.....

Anyway I recently got an xbox (I know, I know) and want to use it as a bit of a media centre so I started ripping some of my dvds to my pc using anydvd. So that's fine I can open up Windows Media Centre on my pc and they are in there and run fine (although they are in there multiple times for some reason which looks messy but is second on my list of problems at the moment).

When I open up the Media Centre on my xbox the vob files don't show up. Can the xbox not play them? It gets my music fine and other video files so I'm at a loss. Any ideas? :sigh:

Ok so I've converted the vobs to mpgs it's a pain but it works. Does anyone know of a free program that will let me split the mpeg files into parts?

Last edited: 25 Aug 2010
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I used this a couple of times http://www.doeasier.org/splitter/. Worked ok for me :)

As for playing .vob files on xbox media centre, i don't think it's possible. Though I could be completely wrong lol

Edit: I know for PS3 there's a media server program that converts videos on the fly so you can view any video on ps3, I don't know if there's anything like this for 360. Might be worth a look? :)

3. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Its been a while since I've tinkered with my xbmc since its all working as I want for now, but I think ripping your dvd's to iso files is probably preferable. I'm fairly sure xbmc will handle those fine.

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

+1 rep

I was going to suggest iso files, then I decided not to lol

Damn my over-thinking lol

5. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Cheers I'll have a go at that later. It's a pain in the arse ripping dvd's to the comp :grr:

6. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

White button, play with, (I think its dvdplayer) (Not mplayer)
    Worked for me.

7. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

im not 100% sure but the only media files i have got to work on my xbox over the network are .avi files non of the other's have ever worked for me personally.

8. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

If you have an nvidia gpu then badaboom might be worth a try, you'll also need dvd43 to rip the dvds.

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i think the simplest answer would be to stick them all through handbrake