1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by orb, 25 May 2006.

1. orb

orb satisfying.

Hi

My xbox recently broke, well not really broke but won't play dvds anymore, and takes adgeees to seek in games. So i've been pondering over to either: get a new xbox drive, just get a new dvd player

I decided against getting a new dvd player really, seen as its more wires, more clutter. and one more thing to plug in when i want to use it.

And xbox drives seem to be fairly pricey too, probably because they don't make them anymore, so meh.

Is there any real reason to get a premium other then the 20gig harddrive? I already have more then enough hard drive space on my computer, so i don't really need it and the price increase is kinda ridiculous.

Ill probably get a core if no-one can move me to get a premium, i just have a few questions about it.

Can Xbox 360s play "backup" movies straight out of the box? I used my xbox fairly heavily for my backuped movies, and dont want to get a 360 if they cant do that, and i dont really like the look of the mod..

If anyone can help, it would be cool

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The premium has the wireless pad aswell, and the price differnce is ridiculous.

My housemate has the premium one and it won't play back backups.

3. orb

orb satisfying.

I don't really need a wireless pad, so i guess a core for me then :p

:( It doesnt? I asked some guy and he went to test and he said it did, odd..Could it be the drives?

4. logan

logan flashback!

If you're getting on Live you'll need the hard drive to download any of the bigger demos/videos. I'm not sure how big the memory card is, but i'd choose a hard disc over memory cards anytime.

And wireless pads are teh sex. :D

5. orb

orb satisfying.

I don't really like the idea of live, and i'm planning to play with the new hack out *cough* .

Can yours play backup dvds logan?

6. logan

logan flashback!

Fair enough, core pack sounds ideal for you then.

You may not believe this but I don't own any copied DVDs.... :eeek:

7. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Yes, the 360 is perfectly capable of playing burned DVD movies. It just won't play burned games unless you flash the firmware. If you do that, just make sure not to hook it up to your network because it will be on Live even if you don't have the Gold subscription.

8. orb

orb satisfying.

Goodie, thanks bloodcar!

9. orb

orb satisfying.

Another quick question, i don't have a HDTV, nor is my tv very big. Will i notice a diffrent in graphics from the origanel xbox?

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

regardless of HD the graphics in the 360 are WAAAAY better than the original xbox. All the talk about HD making such a monumental difference is all hype. Of course HD is gonna look a lot better due to the higher res, but it doesnt actually change what the graphics card is displaying on your TV. Yes, HD looks a lot better than SD, but try to think of it this way: Put Doom 3 on Ultra High settings and play at 1024x768, then take Doom 3 and put it on Ultra High settings and play at 1600x1200. As you will notice, the graphics are the same, but you will see the difference the resolution makes.

It's hard to describe, so I hope you know what I mean.

11. orb

orb satisfying.

Yeah i gotcha, sounds pretty damn good. Now all i have to do is wait for a good ebay auction and ones all mine ^^

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I got to be honest, I find X-Box Live a lot more important to the 360 than a HD-TV (I'm currently using my PC Monitor to play it, but that's only because I can :D).
    Don't forget, you need the HDD for backwards compatibility as well as downloading the XBL Arcade games/Demos/Trailers/Patches. And the wireless pads are fantastic.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think if you want backwards compatability with xbox games you need the HDD, not 100% sure on that though.

EDIT: Ah blade beat me to it. But yeah the emulation software for the xbox games are on HDD so you'll need one if you want to do that.

14. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

damn are u serious?
    i was gunna get a core but i want to play my old xbox games as the new ones are a bit pricey (might go 2nd hand :naughty: )
    but the storage space + the wireless controller :worried: :worried:

i think i might go for the premium now :D :D

15. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Premium is the only way to go, even with "rip-off" price, consider yourself lucky though any ps3's will be paying over £400 for a console that will probably just be sequals

16. orb

orb satisfying.

Buy a samsung, do something naughty and it will play all xbox1 retails and xbox1 backups :)

OR, buy a core, and buy a second hard drive, saving money and getting the harddrive :D

Tags: