1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Xonar DS or Xonar DX/D1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dramatik, 3 Jan 2012.

1. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Hey guys, was wondering what would be better suited for my needs. My speakers are Logitech Z506 and I won't be upgrading these for a while (5-6 months). Onboard sound currently being used is Realtek's ALC889. Main use will be for movies, games and music. I have no care for headphone benefits whatsoever. Just not sure if the price for the DX is worth it over the DS. Brand new I can get a DS for £35 whilst the DX is pushing the £58 barrier. My budget till next month is £40 so should I wait and get the DX or will the DS suffice till I get better speakers?

I have also found a D1 on ebay for £35, and I do have 2 PCI slots on my motherboard so this is an option, but I'm always cautious about buying second hand PC parts from Ebay. Do I have any kind of warranty, should the item be DOA or die within 3-4 months? Lastly, I've seen the Xonar DG but everyone who has been advised to purchase it have been people who want the headphone amp, which I have no care for. That £18 would be nice on the wallet though lol

Cheers

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

3. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

The DX has higher quality components as far as I'm aware, it also has a better signal to noise ratio. Just not sure if it's needed for my setup

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Unless you connect to a good HiFi you will not hear a difference.

5. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

So would your recommendation be that I stick with the onboard till I upgrade my speakers?

6. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Do you use Headset?

If you have a decent heatset a Xonar will make a huge difference.

7. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Nah I NEVER use a headset, strictly 5.1 with my logitechs

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

No I meant you will not hear the diff. between the Different models of Xonar.

dramatik likes this.
  9. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Even with poor quality speakers you should hear a marked difference in quality between onboard and discrete, to what degree that difference will be depends upon the rest of your audio kit (most notably will be background hiss and general interference). To be perfectly honest I'm quite happy with my DG hooked up to a Sony micro hifi with a set of Kenwood (I think) monitors for my everyday usage with a solid 4 speaker surround system (Pioneer receiver, Nuance speakers) in my home theatre for films and such run off the same card, so I think either card you get will work excellently. For the price the Xonar series is very hard to beat, if you're looking for a card that can work with games that is. Audiophiles tend to look elsewhere (from what I've read, anyway).

But as with any piece of audio equipment: nobody can tell you what will sound best to your ears, so give it a try for a few days before you make your mind up (most retailers have excellent return policies, after all).

Edit: though I do feel as though I may have sidestepped your initial question a bit... So if I were to chose between the DS or DX I would just go for whichever option best worked with my system and wallet! For the simple fact that I am running CF I'd opt for the PCI-E option, as I've an open 1x port just above my first video card, rather than the PCI slot below my second, which chokes it's intake slightly (my second card runs a few degrees hotter than my first due to this). From the reviews I've read there isn't much of anything between them, making the price difference one primarily of convenience.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
    dramatik likes this.
  10. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

@MShunter - My dreams were nearly shattered when I thought you meant I wouldn't hear a difference between the Xonar's and the onboard lol.

@Malvolio - Luckily I'm running the one HD6950 so I can go for a PCI or PCI-E card. I guess the next question now would be, should I opt for the brand new DS at £35 or the secondhand D1 (Basically the DX with PCI instead of PCI-E) for £38

11. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Bumpity Bump

12. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Get the DS or DX. Forget about the e-bay second hand if you're worried about warranty and
    the like.

Personally i'd go for the DX because I have a PCI-E slot free. But it is totally up to you. The diff.
    in sound between the two (as others have said) would, I expect, be neglible. And also, as others
    have said, the DX has newer parts/better specs. But real-world difference I don't think there
    is much. If you don't mind waiting. Wait and get the DX. Thats my opinion anyway.
    You won't need to upgrade it when/if you upgrade your speakers.
    Not that you would need to upgrade the DS either though. :D

dramatik likes this.
  13. OYUNCAK

OYUNCAK What's a Dremel?

Get the DS or DX. Forget about the e-bay second hand if you're worried about warranty and
    the like

14. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

hmm I'll probably wait and splurge on the DX then, thinking of the D1 as well though since I would like to have my second PCI-E slot free in the future to crossfire.