1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xotic LAN Box -project-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gsand, 26 Feb 2004.

1. gsand

gsand What's a Dremel?

Im new to the forums so please be gentle :lol:

After just getting into the theme of LANPartyies, and the enjoyment they give, I thought it was necessary to build a specific rig for the task. As always, the main features of a LAN box apply: Lightweight, easy to transport, and as always (no matter what its designed for) awesome looks.

Ill start off by saying that I didn’t want to use ‘just another’ case and mod it accordingly. I wanted something that truly expresses me, which is ‘Individualist’. I wanted a 100% custom case, with killer looks, and a variation of the standard box. So, off I went and got to the drawing board. After several days of planning and thinking, I set a plan in my head for what its going to be like.

Okay, LAN Boxes are usually aluminium, obviously because of its low weight. But as I said, I have to be different. Yes, my case will use some aluminium, but only for the structural chassis only. All panels will be made of something I have never before seen used on a completed case*. The mystery material in question? Well, Formula 1 teams use it as a primary material, and it is also used in aerospace. Although both of these examples use slightly more advanced versions, It is still special. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m talking about Carbon Fiber. Yep, that cool looking stuff you’ve always wanted on something but never got any because you thought it was too expensive. Heh, well what do ya know, if I finish the task at hand, you may go ahead and do it too :).

*after the whole carbon fiber concept, I discovered mashie’s carbon/balsa panel. don’t think hes actually used it on a case though, I may be wrong..

The physical design of the box is also of a varied shape. It has an angled section at the top of the front panel to aid with cooling of the HDD. It works (in my head anyway) with the air blowing on to the HDD, rather than blowing ‘over’ it as the common method is setup. here is a basic design. Details will come later.

[​IMG]

Before I rattle on too much, ill give you a quick run-down of the system specs.

Athlon 2500+ @ 3200+
    Giel 512mb PC3200
    Albatron KX600Pro
    WesternDigital 80gb 7200rpm, with 8mb cache
    Samsung 20gb 5400rpm
    GF4 MX440 (Shutup! I have a 9600XT coming soon)
    Sony 52x, LG 52x24x52
    5” PSOne TFT LCD

Also, IF I decide to have a sidewindow, it will feature a bubblepanel as featured on Metku.net. I also want plenty of LED fans, but they get expensive once you started getting several of them :(.

There, nothing too special, but does the job fine. Cant wait for my new gfx card to come.

I have the aluminium for the case, and im starting the construction on the weekend.

Keep an eye out. :clap:

Regards, Glenn.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2004
  2. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Nice desgin mate. At first it looked like a house :worried: