1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP login freezes

Discussion in 'Software' started by l3v1ck, 31 Jul 2009.

1. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I've got a problem with my main profile on my PC. Last night when I was shutting down my PC, my wife (in her inifinate wisdom) turned off the wall socket before the shut down was complete.
    Now I've found that when I boot up the PC, Windows freezes on the "loading your personal settings" message after I've entered my account password. It's a total freeze, even the mouse courser wont move on the screen. There are two other accounts and I can login to these without any problems. Luckily I've not got any strict account security set up, so I can still access My Documants etc from the main account.
    I've tried tunning a scandisk and rebooting, but this had no effect.

Does anyone know of a way to repair this account. I don't really want to have to delete it and set up a new one.
    I have tried THIS guide, however I ouldn't log in to the new account, even before the files were coppied.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2009
  2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Great! [/sarcasm] Now the bloody thing is freezing before it gets to the login screen.
    Time to break out the XP CD and see if an installation repair will work.