1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP1700 on a new mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -=ice=-, 23 May 2004.

1. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

looking to beef up my PC a bit,

don't have much in the way of money, so I'm trying to spread the upgrade as much as possible, so for stage one I'm thinking of

Sapphire 9800pro 128Mb (same card as my dads shuttle, works a treat)
    Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 (good reviews, have about everything i need)

I'm hopping that my XP1700 and 2700 ram will work, from reading the info on the mobo, it should, no problem. am i correct?

2. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

you cpu it's ok for new mobo you don't have a problem. :thumb: :thumb:

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yes your CPU and RAM will work fine on that board.

Though I would suggest trying an NForce2 based mobo rather than via if you harbour any overclocking dreams, due to the NForce having PCI locks.
    By this I mean you can lock the PCI bus to 33MHz and the AGP to 66MHz for increase stability when overclocking.

If firewire is not an issue you could try the Abit NF7-S.

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

i believe that gigabyte has the lock. my old GA-8INXP has them.

5. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

for me kt600 increase stability of mobo my two soltek with kt600 and barton xp2500 is very very stable in overclock.:D:D:D

6. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

the reviews all say no lock,

it's not something i'm realy bothered by, my old old Athlon700 system (slotA) was under clocked a bit so i could slow the 2 CPU fans down. Still did everything i needed from it :)

I need the firewire, as i'm mainly a mac user, i have more Firewire hardware than USB2 :)

And thanks :) just what i needed to hear :D

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

No probs :thumb:

8. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Go for an NF7-S v2.0.
    Just got one myself as 'stage one' of an upgrade - my old XP1600+ and 2100DDR are running better than ever with a few little BIOS voltage tweaks for extra stability.
    It's a marvellous board - all the probs i had with my old setup have disappeared overnight. Just goes to show how many PC probs are hardware related and not software, well, at least in my case. Not a single crash, hang, stall or reboot in over two weeks.

The retail pack comes with two firewire headers on the mobo and a PCI extension bracket with 2 firewire and 2 USB ports - sounds exactly what u need.

Nip over to the nice bods at CPU City and get them to sort one out for u :thumb:

Last edited: 24 May 2004
  9. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

D'ya possibly think that that could be due to the 8INXP being a P4 board, not a Socket A board, and therefore built on a completely different chipset? :rolleyes:

No VIA AMD chipsets have the PCI lock as of yet, it's looking somewhat promising for the brand new release but it probably won't be as polished as NF2.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I forgot about that, the NF7-S does come with firewire :duh: its just that I dont use it :duh: :duh: :duh:

Whats even worse is that my mobo is out of the case right now, I could have just looked over at the board when I typed that and seen the headers :sigh:

11. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

So it does,

Only place i could find that says it includes firewire was the Abit site, none of the stores had it down as a feature, thats why i didn't realy bother loking at it.

The price of the board does take me slightly over budget though, if i can i'll see if i can get the extra few quid sorted and grab one of them :)

Thanks again

12. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

.....it's worth it - jeez, the damn board is actually making WinXP look like a fine work of art, instead of a bug-ridden piece of crap :D

Sod 64-bit, i'm sticking with this board till i die.....

:rock:

13. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

lil update :)

got the mobo NF7 S, but couldn't quite afford the sapphire 9800, so went with the ATi oem card, all works perfectly :D

now i just need some more money for a CPU...

and thanks for the tip on the mobo ;)

14. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

good for you
    :thumb:

15. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

I second that -
    Also managed to play several hours of my severely modded Vice City install today without any crashes, so Abit's board has gone even further up in my estimations now :thumb:

Shame on VIA for making my life a living hell for so many years with their w*nky, bug-ridden chipsets (specially the pentium2 ones :D ).

Worship NVidia :hip: