1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Yet another 24" advice request!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by caff, 27 Jun 2008.

1. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone, I'm looking into getting myself a 24" lcd and i thought the best place to ask for advice would be here at bit-tech!

Basically I'm willing to spend good money on something that will last me for a good few years to come, so a pva panel sounds like the right choice but please correct me if I'm wrong :). I'd like something with good colour, viewing angle and response time as this monitor is going to be used by my pc, xbox 360 and ps3 (i don't have or intend to get a TV).

I currently use a Samsung SyncMaster 206bw with 1680x1050 resolution. Obviously I'm wanting a bit more desktop space with that sexy 1900x1200 resolution so heres my shortlist at the moment:

- Samsung SM-245T
    - DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP (though I'm not 100% this is a pva panel)

Not an amazingly huge shortlist (maybe that's why they call it a shortlist?) but let me explain what i need:

The monitor needs to have a dvi port, a vga port and a hdmi port. Which yes, you can find on a lot of monitors. But the thing i need that you don't find everywhere is an audio out port, which most monitors don't have. You see hdmi is all well and good, but if you cant get the audio feed out of the bloody monitor then somethings going wrong.

My money is pointing more towards the 245t, but it wont be if I'm going to notice this so-called "input lag" everyones been ranting and raving about.

So i don't care how much it costs, basically i just want a damn good 24" monitor with dvi, vga, hdmi and audio out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance.

Caff.

2. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

The Samsungs are nice (I bought my wife a 22 incher, the model of which I can't remember) and I personally own both a Dell 2405 and a 2407 and I love them and have never seen this thing called input lag.

3. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

Well its good to know your not seeing any input lag type thing, I'm not sure how worried i should be about it. Obviously, like everyone i want the best for my money.. So i just need to check im not going to regret spending £600 on something heh.

Thanks for your input, anyone else have any advice/recommendations?

Caff.

4. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

Anyone else for anyone else? I think im going with the 245t, anyone think of a reason not too, parting with that cash very soon hehe!

Thanks, Caff.

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

You might want to check out the Benq G2400W. I find it is an excellent monitor at an excellent value. It has DVI, D-SUB, HDMI and audio out. Terrific refresh rate, and, to my eyes, superb colour balance. Also, it comes at a price point almost one third your budget - which means you could get two. ;)

6. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the recommendation, thats a tn film right? hows the viewing angle on that?

I am willing to pay more money for the pva if its going to be better in the long run, but i must admit.. 2 24" screens would seriously pwn!

Any more for any more?

Caff.

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

If memory serves me I do believe it is tn. Viewing angle seems excellent as well; I can distinctly view the entire image whilst looking at the screen almost from straight to the side of it (colours get a little washed out at this angle though) - I don't think viewing angle should be a problem.

8. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

Ok mate, thanks for the advice.. i guess more research is in order! :)

Caff.

9. toric334

toric334 What's a Dremel?

Read in a number of places that the 2408 has considerably more input lag than the 2407, which wasn't exacty praised for being lag free (Although I can't notce it).

10. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

Well low and behold, bit-tech have reviewed said monitor! And have sucessfully convinced me not to buy the monitor. So it's back to the drawing board for now. Thanks for all the help guys!

Caff.

11. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

12. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I've got the Dell 2408WFP and I'm very happy with it. There is a little input lag, but during general usage I don't notice at all (in fact I only notice it when I put a timer up on 2 displays and the Dell is slightly behind the other one lol ;) ).

13. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i have the hyundai 24" pva and pleased with it, bit tech did a review going back a while

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As said above, the Dell and 245T have pretty damn high input lag.

I put my own 24" monitor want list together the other day, and the top dog is currently the Hazro HZ24W or (if you can find one) the BenQ FP241WZ.

There's the SM245B as well, and although it's a TN film job, it's a very good monitor. :)

Tags: