Electronics Yet another awesome LCD Auction

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twyst, 28 Jan 2004.

1. coorz

coorz Miffed

Yes, Hazer is right. EL has less lighting power but more uniform. Also the process of applying EL is more difficult, besides a sheet EL for a 320x240 + inverter will cost you some $ too.

2. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Hmm. Even so, there's plenty that can be done with what's available. And he might add in support for 640x200 if asked nicely. I can't see it being that hard, since it's controlled by the SED1335 chip. It may just be a case of setting larger allowable sizes in the software. (shrug) But I won't know until I get everything working.

3. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Okay, so I recieved my LCD panel today. Sadly, UPS decided that they wanted to play a little soccer, with my package as the ball. They bent the board, and shattered the LCD panel. :waah:

On the up side, Ryan, the guy holding the auction, was very good about it - and is sending me another one, free of charge! :thumb: :thumb:

Anyways, looking at this thing:

1. There IS a slot for EL. I took the metal frame off the LCD, and there was a nice 1/8" gap behind the LCD. Shining a really bright lamp through the back of the board, I was able to see green through the LCD panel, which suggests the LCD is transflective, rather than reflective. Although, I may just attempt to use a sheet of plastic like a diffuser, and use some nice LEDs.

2. it's HUGE. approximately 12" by 6" viewable. This sucker definately won't go into a case. Although, I was thinking of making it a hinged door, like on those antec cases. THAT would be slick. It's certainly big enough for that. But I'll probably just make a nice acrylic stand to sit next to my computer.