1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Your funniest/fondest gaming moments

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 27 Jul 2020.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Here's another one of 'those' types of threads. As per title.

My two favourite moments:
    1. I was playing Gears of War coop with a friend (online PC). I got taken down by a shotgun blast to the face. My friend revived me and as I got up, his character (Dom) uttered the line 'Walk it off, pussay*'.I cracked up for about five minutes, struggling to tell my friend between gasps what had happened.
    2. At the weekend, I was playing Wolfenstein Youngblood with the same friend.I was using the laserkraftwerk on enemies for the first time and was saying 'Look at this! It makes them explode!'. A second later, my friend fires his newly acquired Uberhammer (think BFG) from behind, vaporising about six enemies in front of me. This was followed up by him commenting 'Hmm. I didn't think it was working properly' (the gun needs to charge to fire).
    Over to you...

*Apparently this word is censored...

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Playing Rainbow Sex Vegas 2 local with my best friend whilst drinking heavily (numerous times), you can imagine communication and stratergies go out the window.
    This rolls over onto all COD games these days with some relationship testing experiences

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A few friends and I used to play "Juggernaut" on Xbox with two drinking rules;

- Assassination = Take a shot. We basically used whatever the strongest alcohol we had was, but by the end of our time playing this it was absinthe.
    - Death to the Juggernaut = Chug whatever you're drinking. Mostly this was tinnies of Strongbow or whatever piss-lager we used to drink. Tyskie, for example.

There were a lot of girlish screams and laughter in that game mode as we got progressively worse at the task of killing the Juggernaut..

Another friend and I used to play Terrorist Hunt on Rainbow Six Vegas & Vegas 2. That was always a hoot, we got progressively worse every new attempt somehow.

These days that same friend and I play ArmA, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Mudrunner, with about the same dropoff of effectiveness over time. Usually quite fun, mostly because we're laughing at the spectacularly bad tactics and execution of our own plans. Although the first playing of Mudrunner was seriously exhausting, so much concentration needed..

Last edited: 27 Jul 2020
    goldstar0011 likes this.
  4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Playing Team Fortress at school on the LAN, perhaps eight of us in the room, I saw someone approach and wasn't sure if it was our guy playing as a Pyro or an enemy spy:

"Kieran, is that you?"

[a small voice, certainly not Kieran's, coming across from the enemy side of the desk]

"...yes"

It was an entirely unconvincing ruse :hehe:

Hex likes this.
  5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Love it, that made me feel OLD though.

We had a school LAN in the 6th form, 16 BBC Micro 'B' models with a single shared hard drive...

My friend who hacked the network was quickly recruited as network manager, thereby taking away the fun element :rolleyes:

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

One bright memory was playing MechWarrior 2, and firing an ER laser at a distant target. It was well out of range, and you couldn't even see it except for the reticle, but I remember hearing whatever voice sample it had for "enemy mech disabled." Walked over, turned out that single shot had drilled right through the cockpit and killed the pilot.

I also used to enjoy making silly builds. Things like a 30-tonne mech with an engine designed for a 90-tonner. No room for weapons beyond a single machine gun and 1 tonne of ammo, so I couldn't kill anything, but nothing could kill me either 'cos I was running around too fast. I also edited a save once to put 3,000 jumpjets in a mech - pressed the J key *once* and had to quit the game about ten minutes later as I was still climbing skywards...

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Some of my fondest gaming memories are from playing with my brother when we were both a little younger living with our parents.
    We played through metro 2033, mostly me controlling but sometimes he took over, with two pairs of headphones, and both being equally terrified but it was so immersive and just a great experience. Normally both of us would run the opposite direction from anything horror/post apocalyptic but it just worked.

Then playing hours and hours of older Heroes of Might and Magic games both with him and an old family friend we'd visit a couple of times a year, he was also the person to introduce me to desperados, another game my brother and I kind of would work our way through in tandem.

Then more recently it's been playing through Shadow Tactics individually whilst chatting on Skype, the brief venture into competitive TF2, or playing Monkey Island with my Dad via skype whilst sharing my screen.

The main funny/cringey event that springs to mind is playing TF2 in my first year of uni and loving life, until I got a bang on my window and had the upstairs flat standing outside telling me to shut up as it was 4am and they'd just got in from a night out and wanted to sleep haha.

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Just the entirety of Portal 2 co-op. Me and a good friend were at an I-series LAN shortly after Portal 2 came out so we promptly had to play through it together. Much betrayal of portals/light bridges was had!

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Mechwarrior 2 had the best silly builds.

Mine was a Jenner with the smallest possible engine, no armour, barely any heatsinks, all of the jumpjets and 8 machine guns set to group fire. Teleporting up to people thanks to the wonders of 28k internet and deleting them never got old, but I'm fairly sure it got me kicked a lot.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  10. derekthetree

derekthetree What's a Dremel?

Lots of recollections, some that immediately come to mind, in rough chronological order:
    • Lotus Turbo Challenge on the Amiga
    • Endless hours on Simcity 2000
    • SWOS leagues in a night with a mate
    • GTA1s fully functional but time limited demo
    • Tasering your mates in SWAT4 multiplayer
    • First game of tag online in Forza 4 - "you're on my team!"
    • Only 10 kill game on WoT

11. creative

creative 500rwhp

The longest match of Socom 2 ever with my Clan at the time. ( 6 min rounds and first to 6 rounds)

Was a full on 3 hour match that was nail biting throughout. Socom allowed for draws of a round and one evening we ended up in a room with a great bunch of players that were there for the game! It had moments of sneaking, moments of full on combat, 4 v 1 etc etc... just trying to last a round so we didnt lose it!

Ended up 6/5 to us and was one of the greatest after match lobby I had ever been in. No name calling, no trolling, no insults, no screaming 12 year olds that wanted to F%$* your mom... just a full on GG moment with 16 complete strangers that thoroughly enjoyed what had just happened!

12. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Some fond memories of playing the Battlefield games with some of the guys from the forum, some good times squading up with the likes of Deadbolt and DracaXL.

Lots of great memories playing MMOs like EVE Online, Lineage 2 and Anarchy Online... probably my favourite memory our of those games is from EVE Online when we had our fleet preparing to defend our HQ - our scouts were jumping ahead of the enemy's fleet to tell us how long we had to wait for them to arrive, so my wing decided to have a good 20 minute singalong to kill time.

Me and a couple of my friends used to have a blast playing the original Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit, we'd spend hours seeing how long we could last in a police chase without crashing.

Me and my friends also had a lot of good fun taking turns to make levels on Tenchu and see how well each other could do against our challenges.

One of the funniest moments in gaming for me was probably when I got a friend to play Eternal Darkness for the first time on my GameCube and watched their reactions as the game's insanity features started to kick in.

Hex likes this.
  13. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Ahhhh I know that well! I loved that game and the insanity effects. I used to watch my boyfriend play it and not let him restore sanity just so I could laugh at him. He made me get up and sit with him one-night cos it got late and he was scared after That™ bathtub scare :hehe:

14. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I think because the majority of the game has more of a subtle creepiness than a scary feel, the few jump scares that it does have really catch you off guard.

Hex likes this.