1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Your Most Frustrating Game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Elton, 31 Jul 2009.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Name some of the games that have been hell for you to install + run, and then even after that, it was hell to play because it was buggy, name some and list how...

:D This is what happens when you're bored at night..

1. Oblivion: Even on the basic game the game was terribly unstable, had sever performance issues and needed a good dose of Anti-Aliasing. And then there were mods....

Still after 2 years, it remains one of the most fun games (to me) and it's actually runnable(albeit not stable still) after being fully patch on my current rig.

2. STALKER Clear Sky + SOC: Aside from having one of the worst installs(7/10 chance the install would not write your files correctly), you would be literally bombarded to hell with all the bugs, including characters not speaking, quests not activiating and such, good fun, but even for the next one, I'll have wait till it's patched at least 4 times.

3. Total War Series: The whole shebang, every one of the ones I bought(Rome and the original Medieval(which still runs today)) on release day were horridly bugged. Thank god 1.3 and 1.5 patches fixed it.

4. SimCity 4: After finding a copy of it in my shelf I decided to install it last week...Well thinking that my computer would handle it I did it without hesitation....Guess what? The game has severe performance drops with any card past the Radeon 9xxx series and the last card known to run it well was the X850...Great game, terrible coding. Thankfully SC3K still works.

5. Grand Theft Auto 3: Oddly, the rest were okay, but this one no matter how patched up would just die on any computer.

6. Grim Fandango: Might be because of the lack of the XP patch for me...

That's about it for me, well for now anyways.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2009
  2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

The most unstable game I've played - and continue to play to this day - is Oblivion for me as well. Still, even after patching, it suffers from random crashes, which is a shame as the game itself is brilliant.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Oblivion was a little unstable for me, but i can live with it after a while is becomes intersting.

Biggest problem i had was with Need for Speed: Pro Street, installed but wont play what so ever, after a reinstall i just threw it across the room and played GRID instead. Probably i crap game anyway.

Call of duty's expansion i could never play, game started where you have to run to a jeep and jump in, at that point all the AI troops would stand up and jitter, you could shoot them but they were like a zombie hord.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Vampire - bloodlines. I have started that game 4 times, lost all save data to various issues 4 times, then never installed it again.
    This goes second, though...
    first in line is Titan Quest, for me.
    I have tried. I have failed. Repeatedly. SO i physically broke the disc in anger... only time i've done that.

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Vampire Bloodlines was buggy as hell on release, but the fan patches out there now make it solid as rock in my experience. They add in loads of new content too.

Saying Grim Fandango seems unfair too - it's only unstable on OSes that it wasn't designed for, like Vista.

6. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

King kong the official game of the movie. Wouldn't even install for me, got the shiny metal box version and everything, was only £10 from virgin megastore (before it turned to zavvi then closed down) at the time so i shouldn't have expected a lot.

Empire earth wouldnt play (on xp never tried anything else) until i had patched it to the eyeballs.

Recently i tried playing unreal tornament 1 on pc for the first time in years since i bought unreal anthology and have only played on UT2004, wouldn't run in hardware mode because it doesn't like my video card, and in softwaremode it ran at like 10x speed which is unplayerble. Might run ok online though.

Another vote for stalker, althought it was a great game.

Never had any problems with titan quest, played throught it and the expansion and i can't remember it ever crashing.

7. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

GTA IV wins for how long it actually took me to play, ages to install, update, make a GFWL account, install that Rock Star crap and then I still needed to buy a new graphics card to play at a decent res.

8. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

gears of war - I could only get it to run using a crack despite having having the dvd!
    arma 1 - buggy buggy buggy

9. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

i laff at your unstable games....they seem positivly rock compired to my all time epic game of crashiness.

Frontier: First Encounters.
    It was the only game that actually knew when you hadn't saved..spent hours doing stuff. Then you remember, at that point it knows to crash.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Thing with titan quest was:
    I had a copy of the original, and played it for about 10 minutes before i saw teh_black_floor_of d00m and repeated crashes to desktop. Uninstalled it.
    Then the expansion came out, and a mate of mine desperately wanted to LAN it... so i bought Titan Quest and the expansion in the bargain bin, installed, downloaded all patches.
    Played for a couple of hours (right up to the end of Egypt), and the final quest wouldn't close... No portal to the next level, nothing... so we backtracked through the entire act, doing every subquest, etc. still no portal. Quit, reboot, reload, still no portal. Restart the act in single player, go through it again, still no bloody portal. That's when i said something about the developer's mothers and their dogs/birds and diseases that i'd rather not repeat in public, took the disc out and broke it in half...

Buggiest game i've played on the 360 was Gears of War 2 in coop split screen... i swear: LAG. Not jumpy framerates.. .that would've been ok... but LAG...ON THE SAME CONSOLE!!!!

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Probably L4D which somehow crashes regularly for me.

12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Vampire bloodlines is the hardest game ive had to install in win 7 it took bloody ages, dont really know why, but after finally getting it installed with the fan patches i havent had any problems, and after a bit of hex code editing it even runs at high res' too.

The buggiest game ive got while playing is also oblivion, it doesnt seem to matter what i try it still has issues, i dont play it so much now. I prefer morrowind + mods tbh

13. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

iFluid, bought it off of steam at new years for 4.99$, worst purchase ever, will not run no matter what I tried, the steam support was useless, and the developer refused to fix the game for all the users who couldn't use it.

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Here's an obscure title for you: Martian Gothic: Unification. It's a survival horror title with a great ambience and setting (everything John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars *should* have been). The game was buggy as f.... Randomly it would freeze on you, which was especially annoying since it was checkpoint-save-based.

15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Gears of War caused me the most problems, I had to patch it just to get it to install.

Grim Fandango has problems with multi core processers, there is a patch and a third party installer that fixes the problem.

Itsnot surprising that old games will have problems with new hardware but it does get irritating that the operating system starts giving you grief - I'm looking at you here Vista!!

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yep, Vampire was terrible on release, but it wasn't that bad even with just the last official 1.2 patch. Either that or I was lucky with it never crashing. Only time it did was when I didn't have a big enough page file. Why it needed a 1400MB minimum pagefile on a system with 8GB of RAM I'll never know. The fan patches add lots of stuff, agreed. :D

Titan Quest for me for sure. Bought it in Tesco about a week after release because I was bored. Load. Crash. Load. Crash. Wait for patches. Install patches. Load. Play for five minutes. Screen goes black with the screen OSD complaining, "DVI sync error". Can still hear music and the sound of my character getting owned by enemies. Restart. DVI sync error. Pull out GPU. Replace. DVI sync error. Pull out GPU, replace with spare. Boots properly. Replace with other card. DVI sync error. Conclusion: card FUBAR'd - by a GAME.

The thing I hated the most was the fact that the devs seemed to think that everyone who had issues was a pirate. That was the immediate response if you said you had problems: "Oh, you've pirated the game, you filthy stinking pirate." No, I had a legit copy.

A legit copy that, had I been able to return it, I would have done. I still have the game sitting on my DVD rack, but I don't have the courage to try installing it again.

17. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Neocron 2. Not a bad game (sort of like deus ex online, but not quite as good as that makes it sound :p) the single most buggy piece of software i have ever used.

took my a long time to get GTA IV working as well, kept insisting i had a pirated copy. much to my annoyance. stupid securom "please remove backup copy". No securom, it is not a backup copy, it is my legitimately purchased game that i installed on a clean system, infact it was the third program i installed, first being firefox and second being fences.

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

GTA IV....well I never bought it...

I remember how bad V:Bloodlines was although I never played it, I just remember people literally exploding in anger from it.

And okay, Grim Fandango was uncalled for, sadly I still haven't had time to get the fan patches and such.

Oblivion runs fine for me now, although it still CTDs after exiting. The funniest thing though, was that after playing only Oblivion for about a year, every other game seemed incredibly stable...>_>.

and Yes Morrowind + Mods is amazing. Just pure Amazing.

19. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Football manager 09
    Only one of the lot i regret buying. get about 5 matches in and BOOOM!! Desktop.
    Tried everything to get it to work but gave up and now just sitting on a shelf some where.

20. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Fallout 3 takes the title for me. I have had nothing but problems with it and ended up giving up with it. That's about the only title I have had problems with in a long while.