1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Your thoughts.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HairyEyeball, 18 May 2009.

1. HairyEyeball

HairyEyeball New Member

Hi,

I have been thinking about getting a new Mobo and graphics card...

I have been conidering these

896MB XFX GTX 260 Black GRAPHICS CARD

and

XFX nFORCE 790i ULTRA MOTHERBORD

Quite like the idea of having the same brand stuff as looks nicer (imo).
    Do you guys have any thoughts/pros/cons etc to these?

I currently have a Pentium D 840 (3.2ghz) (thinking of upgrading that in a few months)
    also my current psu is a 470w thermaltake tr2, would this be powerfull enough to see me through a while until i can get something with a bit more oomph!
    I will also have 3 HD's (2x sata and 1 x ide) and 4gb ram....

Thanks for any comments

Trevor

2. bullseye

bullseye Who dares wins

Are you planning to go sli/ overclock.

That is a expensive board for a out going socket with i7 and soon i5.

You could get a BiostarTpower P45 and a E7400 for the cost of that board.

What will it be used for.

3. Digitalize-

Digitalize- New Member

I Would go for a cheaper Board, the XFX's arent amazing boards really. And the Overclocking is limited. Go for the Biostar or an Asus P5Q Pro (My Favourite :p) Unless you NEED SLi

4. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Biostar TP45 MB / Tpower I45 if you need raid.

You will need a much more capable psu, I wanted to get a gtx260 but my Tagan480 was just out of the 500 watt / 32amp needs of the gfx card.

Maybe drop down to a 8800/9800 gt or stump up the cash for a nice dark power pro 650watt.

I went for a 8800gt because i couldn't get hold of 80-100 quid for a psu at the moment.

5. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

if you want a good look.. alot of it is in the cable management and your power supplies connectors- it's more work than you'd think to hide wires (takes some planning)

sleeved wires are alot more sexy- but then you have to consider any mods you may have like card readers and fan controllers that will add alot of wiring out the back of the case.. then airflow is always a big priority if you plan on overclocking a rig

bigger cases are alot easier to manage than smaller mid size (which generally give you just enough room to fit your parts).. something you might want to consider

agree with these guys.. get an intel chipset on the cheap, no reason to get a 790 unless your planning on sli- and then you might as well go i7.. here's my 680 with a true 120 and ifx, evercool vc-re on the southbridge (covered my the 260).. get the awesome temps of bigger cases by spot cooling and giving enough intake- you don't really need a 100+ case to achieve this stuff

[​IMG]

:D no window so I don't have to worry about sleeving the red/black wires.. if your planning on windowed, you'll need a case (or dremel out some holes behind the board on a cheap case) and run as much of the wiring behind and out of sight.. the windowed cases I've done in the past were alot of work to get looking clean.. but that 790i is just a bad choice to make imo for a new build unless your bent on nvidia

6. HairyEyeball

HairyEyeball New Member

Thanks for your responses...

I dont NEED to go sli although I have thought about it a little... but I would like to overclock...

I suppose the XFX board is a bit OTT lol but I just think its a gorgeous board!

I was originally looking at a couple of other boards before I saw that one... One was a Striker II formula cant remember what the other was off the top of my head....

as for what it will be used for well... general stuff plus gaming, some video editing, office stuff etc but mostly for the gaming side of things...

My brother is going to sort out the case for me.... id cut my fingers off with a dremal lol

7. bullseye

bullseye Who dares wins

Last edited: 18 May 2009