1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Zalman RS6F USB Surround Sound Headphones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 2 Sep 2007.

1. GamingHobo

GamingHobo What's a Dremel?

Got to second that. I've yet to be convinced by any surround sound headphones, be it for gaming or anything else.

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I know a lot of people don't really believe in having surround sound headphones Vs. just a single speaker in each ear. I have some LTB surround sound usb headphones, and to be honest the surround sound really works. I'm a big Call of Duty 2 fan, and when playing online it can really give away the position of someone, a lot better then stereo headphones.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yeah, I tried a few films with it. The Japanese Zombie-gorefest, Versus. Also The Way of The Gun - both awesome films.

Sound in both was good, but nothing 'surrounding' really and nothing to get excited about when compared to some good speakers.

4. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Bindi has laser eyes?

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

my experiance was that surround sound headphones are a scam. As for positioning I find grado's are quite nice for that (aswell as been rather nice for music) as they have a high frequancy response peak which coincides nicly with footstep noises. For low bass noises and genral music listening I prefer my sen hd650's... they trick me into thinking my speakers are on (my amp I have a selector switch to turn my speaker on/off, often I look down in suprise to see they are off). This is because the bass is been acuraly reproduced and is going through my body tricking me into thinking that the sound source is not straped to my head.

6. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I have the previous version of these that have the front, rear, and center audio connectors. I find that they are great for games, allowing you to pinpoint enemy positions much easier in games like CS and America's Army. I think the experience they offer with movies is also pretty good. But for music, they are not as good as others. But for the price, I think it's a pretty darn good deal.

For me they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Although I've only owned a couple but they seemed much more comfortable and had a better feel than my friends Bose noise blockers. And I don't really have a problem with the hole hinge design either, but then again I'm no headphone connoisseur.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You didn't know?

8. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I have some SONY MDR-V700's and they fold up just like that, really nice for space-saving imo.

9. dom_

dom_ --->

The way i see it...

Pay £40 for 2 drivers or pay £40 for 6 drivers.
    I know which will sound better, also i find stereo better in things like CS than surround sound as it gives you a clear left or right on sound and then you narrow it down.

Which is why i am glad bit-tech disliked the zalmans.

10. Grum

Grum What's a Dremel?

I (also) own the previous version that plug into a sound card. I've found the surround sound is significantly better than any other stereo headphones I've tried, including the Sennheisers I listen to music with. However, my Creative T5400 5.1 speaker system does a better job of locating sound accurately. For me the big benefit of the Zalmans over 5.1 speakers is my wife does come and turn them off. So, while the 5.1's are better, I rarely get to use them at a decent volume. Also, they are incredibly comfortable for many hour sessions

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I have the original ones of these aswell, best headphones I have used, great in counter-strike. Seems the USB version doesn't work as well for pinpointing sound as the standard ones. The folding is a good thing as it makes them easier to move around to LANs etc.

12. robby

robby What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    First of all the me apologize for the following rather long comment and that I am posting to a thread posted quite some time ago. The reaon is that I just purchased the Zalman RS6F (USB version) headphones and am quite disappointed with them.
    I admit that I was attracted to the geek factor of their design, the over the hear type and a few positive comments about them.
    I am not a gamer - not good at it.
    I do love listening to music on my PC. I have used Winamp as my player since about 2000 and like it.
    I have a 7.1 integrated sound card, 5.1 Logitech speakers for everything but the side rear speakers - for those I use a pair of Phillips speakers I found at a thrift store.
    I prefer to use headphones for listening to the music in the evening.
    I live music and love Wilco - they allow tapers at all their concerts and these are legally posted on the Owl & Bear Web site.
    However the sound quality of these shows varies greatly - no offense given to the dilligent tapers.
    For the most part, I listen to MP3 & FLAC files (please no judgements I have many CD's & Vinyl records - just prefer the convenience of PC based files.
    I realize that I will never get a true 5.1 sound with MP3 Files (even those w/high bit rates), but I would like to get something better than what I currently hear.
    I'm 53 years old - set in my ways - and even 99% deaf in my right ear.
    I have to rely on the vibrations coming thru my right headphone cup to even get any semblance of a stereo sound.

OK so my question is this: What would you recommend for listening to this type of music in this manner?

I don't want to change media players, sound cards or file types.
    I've tried DSP output plug-ins - haven't found any satisfactory ones.
    I like over the ear headphones.
    I don't have the money for expensive headphones - the Zalman's were a big purchase for me.

Again, I'm sorry for the long time it took to get to my question and thanks for reading it. I just wanted to qualify it in order to really let you know what I am looking for given my circumstances. Perhaps this isn't the correct site to post this question, but I thought it might be somewhat challenging to some of the readers and really am looking for a good inexpensive set of headphones.

Thanks again and apprciate an help anyone can provide!

Tags: Add Tags