News Zimmermann promises 'Pretty Good VoIP Privacy'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 27 Jul 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Given that it is already a trivial matter with cheap / free tools to encrypt email communications beyond the capabilities of even the most determined code-breaker to crack (governmental institutions included), I do not see what further security risk is posed by allowing the same capability to VoIP calls. Surely anyone who is plotting something the authorities would be interested enough in to tap their phone line will be savvy enough to only use secure comms channels, in which case they may start using secure VoIP rather than email as a matter of convenience, but it won't manifestly increase the threat they pose.

Accordingly, I say, there's no point holding back tech like this on grounds of security - it will be a bonus for businesses and individuals alike to be able to communicate in realtime over a solidly encrypted channel.

3. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

Seems like the only ones who would object to this are people who feel the need to listen into other people's conversations; namely, governments and law enforcement. And I have no doubt that a back door can be created to mimic (at least at first) the security and laws around conventional phone systems. Are governments really going to argue "This should be banned because we can tap the terrist's land phones but not their Internet phones"?

Also, does anyone else find it funny that one of the most popular and useful encryption systems on the Web is only "Pretty Good"?

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I fear the day that government gets such a say (while exploiting the fear of terrorism) as to prevent me from being able to have a private conversation.

Oh, wait. There's already the patriot act.

I'd rather extend terrorists the liberty of covertness than surrender yet more of my freedoms in the name of "protection."

5. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Not being funny but why do we need secure VoIP comms? The standard telephone network we use every day is not encrypted as far as i know?

Nikumba

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

The standard telephone network is a lot more difficult to drop in on without being at the physical line. Big difference.

7. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

How can the government control VoIP lines? They dont have any control over the internet in general, so how are they going to touch this stuff?

And if your REALLY serious about security and junk, chances are your going to make your own VoIP protocol/codec rather then using one of the major carriers like Vonage or something...

Tags: Add Tags