1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Zone 66 and Scorched Earth

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by crazybob, 28 Jan 2008.

1. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Zone 66 and Scorched Earth are certainly two of the best games ever written. And now, thanks to the DOSbox DOS emulator, I can play them under Windows XP! I'm not surprised about Scorched Earth, but being able to run Zone 66 really impresses me. In a bid for better performance, the game runs in its own special environment. Even on a properly old computer, running an appropriate version of DOS, you can't just launch the game. You have to run the game from a boot disk, with no forms of memory management active beforehand. As a result of this tricky programming, it has graphics far more advanced than other games from the same era. The downside is the extreme difficulty in running the game, making it all the more impressive that DOSbox can manage it.

[​IMG]

2. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

man, i used to love playing Scorched Earth on my amiga, but then worms came along :(

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I haven't played scorched earth in ages, it was a great game!

I'm off to find a copy :D

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You could also look at pocket tanks, its good fun one on one. Also there's Atomic Tanks which is a scorched clone for bother linux and windows.

Tags: