1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma 2: DayZ

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingred, 24 Apr 2012.

1. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Me and some friends have also been messing around with the dynamic zombie sandbox mod (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15778) and while it doesn't have the extreme realism of dayz, you can host your own server (and set a load of different parameters) Been really enjoying it so far.

2. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Noob question here, is OA or CO required for this mod? I only have normal Arma II atm?

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

4. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

5. GravitySmacked

I seem to recall there is a way of running it without OA but you would have low res character models. May be worth looking into.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I bought ARMA 2 to play zombies but TBH I like the vanilla version of the game more

7. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Well Arma 2 is free now I think. And the expansion pack is better than the original Arma2 anyway so I wouldn't be without it.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

You can't run it without OA, but you can run it without A2 - sort of! Instead of using A2 you can use A2 free - there are various "how to's" around on that.

The low res models are due to the fact that the mod uses models in both PMC and BAF (Arma 2 OA DLC). Operation Arrrowhead comes with lite versions of both BAF and PMC so you can play online on servers who have this DLC without having it yourself - you just get lowres versions of the character models.

So, the options to play DayZ are...

You NEED Arma 2 : Combined Ops which is either;

1. Arma 2 + Arma 2 : Operation Arrowhead. or
    2. Arma 2 : Free + Arma 2 : Operation Arrowhead.

The DLC (BAF and/or PMC) is entirely optional, but as the main character is a model from PMC, you may get a bit pissed off watching low res dudes all the time!

Both BAF and PMC also come with a SP campaign each - I think they are worth the extra outlay if you can afford it.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Every time I watch a video of DayZ, I see someone wandering about empty streets with not much happening. Saw one zombie attack on a group and marvelled at how crappy the zombies looked and the dodgy animation. The arma engine is just so clunky.

10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Part of the appeal of DayZ is the tension - it's not really meant to be an all action mod! The Real Virtuality engine is what it is - which is pretty much perfect for the task it is supposed to fulfil. I am looking forward to seeing what they have done with the Real Virtuality Engine 3, in Arma 3 - once E3 is done with they should be releasing an Alpha.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Me too on arma 3.

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Yea Arma 2 free, its not the same as the full game, low res models etc and no SP campaign etc.

Well ill need to get CO/OA and the otherones soonish. Kinda regret buying the steam version and also it seems all the best mods/addons need OA/CO to work best lol.

13. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

I've just dl'ed OA last night, didn't know I'd need further DLC. How much are BAF and PMC, and are they worth it?

14. GravitySmacked

I'm playing without them and I feel no need to get them.

15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

You don't need them to play, it's just a better experience I guess. Personally I enjoyed the PMC and BAF mini-campaigns, so that would be the real reason to get them.

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The Steam version is no different to the none-steam versions. If you have A2 on Steam, you can buy OA from somewhere else and it will work.

Since December OA performs a registry check when you launch it, and if you have A2 it will automatically launch as Combined Ops.

The version on my main client is the Steam version, but other than the first time I have never run it using Steam, I use Six Updater.

17. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Had a blast playing with a few random people today. Had to go a away for a few mins and when I re joined the session, walked outside to see the bodies of the two guys I was with. I unwillingly took revolver rounds they had and blood packs, said a prayer and continued on my own. Think I'll jump back on in a bit

18. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Lol cool story, that's pretty creepy. You know a game is good when it can create stories like that in just one play session.

19. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Lol stuff like that happens. The size of the map is eerie too since anyone could be stalking you, waiting for you to go into the woods just to cap you in the back for baked beans

20. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I try to use 6, it infuriates me to no end, i just cant seem to get it to work! It refuses to load with ACE, i can run ACE no problem manually (my own shortcut) but trying it through 6 it cant seem to work.

Thing is, i have a steam version i would like the overlay in game but i cant as im using a non steam shortcut, if i use it in steam i need to modify the launch dependant on mods i want to use.