1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Best mainstream bottled beer

Discussion in 'General' started by niro, 21 Feb 2011.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Any bottle-conditioned beer will have a small amount of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. The beer undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle, which produces the carbonation and gives a more "mature" flavour to the beer.
    Wychwood is cheesecake. If you like the Speckled Hen, try to look out for Old Crafty Hen, which is a stronger beer that is matured for longer. It's a real mid-winter, fireside type of beer.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

We get Amstel here as well. Bottled. Not a huge fa, though. Same with Peroni and Heinecken, though...

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Tuborg is my favourite - not sure you can get it outside Denmark.

Heineken is like drinking water ..

4. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

You get Tuborg in UK as well, whether it tastes the same is a different matter....but that ring-pull cap is so damn handy! :)

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Tuborg does exist around Tesco and the likes.

I can't say I'd rather drink Tuborg than, say, dog piss but hey. It is around.

Personally, I'd check Tesco for any of the BrewDog line - Punk IPA, Zeitgeist are the most likely, although I have seen 77Lager in my gargantuan Tesco.

Other than that, I don't stray too far from ales. Theakstons Old Peculiar, Wells Bombardier (And the "Satanic" edition), and a number of the "Fullers" brewery line (Particularly Bengal Lancer). The Wychwood lot is usually fairly reasonable.

It'd be worth checking your local supermarkets, they tend to have "Specials" for a month of a particular guest ale, and sometimes the little off licenses are havens for ales and what have you.

6. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Sam Adams is my fave US beer but for real ale Hobgoblin can't be beat. :clap:

7. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

+1 for Grolsch!

And although not mainstream, but widely availbale in decent supermarkets, i'd recommend leffe to anyone who's never tried it, and hoegaarden. If you find hoegaarden to your tastes, then give kronenbourg blanc a go, a far better beer I think but rarer than rocking horse ****. At least round these parts

8. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Can't enjoy these blonde beers, taste like fairy liquid after a few pints.

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The original (Czech) Budweiser happens to be my favourite.

10. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Useless fact I just remembered:

The mexican beer Corona wasn't taken with lime to add a zesty flavour...Limes were in fact used to keep flies away from the beer in the hot Mexican climate. Some American saw this and misinterpreted their purpose....A similar story to pie a la mode.

11. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Good shout, forgot about them. Plus they only got the money to distribute in this country because they took Budweiser (Annheiser Busch?) for tons of cash for stealing their name!

12. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

I regularly drink - Brahma, Sol, Corona, Bud 66, Grolsch, Becks, Bud.

And I like cider, Koppaberg, Brothers and Gaymers mainly...

13. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Carlsberg Export.

I used to prefer Stella but they seem to have changed the taste slightly.

14. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Was this not common knowledge? I haven't heard the 'zesty flavour' idea before. Granted I don't buy them very often, nor do my friends. But it does seem quite popular among the other students

15. Keith_UK

Keith_UK What's a Dremel?

1) Excellent call on Hobgoblin :)
    2) Also don't mind Carlsberg Export.
    3) Grolsch and Becks is ok if I cant find the other two.

16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Here in the UK i tend to drink Heineken or Becks.

Back in South Africa I'd drink Heineken if that was available, or Windhoek lager, but I'd always prefer to drink Hunter's Dry Cider.
    Can get it here (from speciality, read: South African, stores, but it tends to be expensive.

I'ev tried that Fursty Ferret ale, its bloody disgusting .....

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

My local shop only stocks bud, Corona or Miller. :grr:

Given the choice i would go for either Peroni, Asahi, Budvar or Staropramen. I beleive it also depends where you are as the Staropramen tasted much better in the Prague then it does out of a bottle here.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Great Story :thumb:
    Even better, Anheuser Bush wanted to prohibit Budweiser (CZ) to be sold under that name.
    Somehow Budweiser (CZ), coming out of the town of Budweiss, brewing beer there since before the US existed, solidfied their claim to the name, hmmm, mysterious :D
    No US lawyer could have expected that outcome :thumb:

19. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

My personal choice would be Caley IPA, but I'm contractually obliged to say "Heineken is the best beer ever, folowed by Fosters, Kronenburg, Amstel and Tiger". :grr:

Good luck with finding it Blanc was discontinued last year, if you do find any it's probably wise to check the Best before date.

20. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Nothing beats a proper Franziskaner dunkel weissbier :) Red Tuborg and newcastle brown ale are good ones as well.

I noticed that many in here likes Becks.... which honestly riddles me, to me it is flat, tasteless and dull. They use it everywhere in Munich despite that they have many great beers in Germany they could use instead.

Tags: