1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Bit-Tech Folding@Home Team (CLOSED: now superseded by joint CPC/bit-tech team)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Byron C, 2 Aug 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Thanks wuyanxu, giving it a go now. I suppose you could fold on both cpu and gfx at the same time, giving you that extra amount of power potential?

Sam

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

indeed you can, but q6600 will never beat 8800GTX. i'll add my q6600 to Fold when i see someone producing more points than me on here. currently my Q6600 is helping SETI@Home

only 2 days, i've have overtaken everyone in the 7-day counter, bar LoneArchon. so if i keep this going, i shall be number 1 soon.

come on people, Fold! let's get a competition going :)

3. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

Ive just started folding with my 8400gs i know terrible
    but ive got 150 quid to get a new card tommorow so either a 4850 or 4870 and ill fold on that.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I may have to recruit a gpu into my folding array.

5. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

The whining of my card drove me mad and I stopped for a while. Back at the parents place now and dont have to live in the same room as it. OH ITS BACK ON!

6. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I just installed the GPU2 client - my 8800GT will live to regret this day!

The visualisation say's doing about 60 itterations/sec. How does this compare to other people, eg your 8800GTX wuyanxu?

I think I'm going to need to reconfigure all the fan speed and clock speed settings I have in Rivatuner, to keep things quiet whilst still getting some reasonable work done...

7. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

Well im running a crappy 8400gs and its getting between 180 and 305 itterations/sec

when my 5850 arrives either tommorow or saturday ill post to see how much its getting.

8. wyx087

wow, that must be a beast of a card :naughty:

i can't remember how many itterations/s i have. most people on the internet uses "PPD". god knows what that is. use FaHMon to get that value.

i get around 4900PPDs. 8800GT is based on G92, with higher shader processor speed, so they should get fold faster, something lik 5000PPDs

bad news, my internet is down........ may not able to fold this weekend. we'll see whether it comes back up later today.

9. pistol_pete

Right, just being the beta version the visualisation isn't working for me, just shows Test molecule A, which is irrelevant.

Nonetheless, FahMon says I've been doing just under 1000 PPD - I left my computer running overnight to see how it performed, which I don't normally do.

Bear in mind that's with the GPU usage set very low - at full usage the card gets up to 80 degrees, with the fan running quite loud, I don't really fancy that.

10. wyx087

is that the bit where you select set GPU usage mannually, and then move the slider all the way, or is it the top radio box? (default)

how many PPD you get with the default settings?

11. pistol_pete

The slider, which I'm playing with now. At full speed FahMon is only showing 1029 PPD, comapred to 996PPD at lowest- does this average over a day to get the score? I take it it's not an instantaneous estimate?

12. pistol_pete

I found the options I needed, it now updates after every frame, which is much better.

I'm finding it's really impacting performance though. Scrolling a page in Firefox is no longer smooth, and Google Earth struggles a bit and actually became unstable yesterday. Crysis runs at it's normal ~30FPS, but jumps a bit every second, same with HD movies. All these problems disappear if you pause the work on the GPU client, still not ideal though. I'm considering going back to CPU folding for now, untill the drivers/client involved with the GPU get better.

13. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

How do you find out your ppd?

14. wyx087

yes, GPU folding still not ideal, having to pause every time. but the speed is well worth it.

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Now folding with my GPU, yeeee

Sam

16. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Also now folding with the GPU, however it appears to be using my 8400GS card (which I use purelly for 3rd/4th monitors, no 3D stuff really) instead of using my 8800gtx, which id like it to do while im at work all day.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Installed the cuda drivers which claimed to support all the GF8 series, am I missing something?

EDIT: the 8800gtx is set as the primary card with monitors 1&2.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2008
  17. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

My only thoughts are that most bit-tech people have access to an 8 series+ Nvidia or the relevant AMD card so if they all joined the team it would get ALOT of work unit done, more then some bloke with 51 GPUs.

18. wyx087

agree. most people here just folds using CPU for a bit and then forget about it.

http://kakaostats.com/t.php?t=33346
    see, im nearly top with only 8800GTX folding and it's not even 24/7 folding

19. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Even with the latest drivers and latest version of folding @ home gpu i canny get it to run on the 8800gtx, always seems to run on the 8400gs, which dont do tooo badly, but could be better.

Anyone else know how i might be able to change this... or run both at same time maybe?
    I tried following the info on the F@H web site, but no joy.

20. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Yay just about completed my first work unit on my 8800GT.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.