1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chimp Challenge - sign up here

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 23 Apr 2009.

1. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Your graceful way with words actually made me burst out laughing :D

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I'm going for the dual milestones of 2 million points, AND overtaking IwantAbetterPC before I change over... mwahahaha

Last edited: 28 Apr 2009
  3. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Well, that's exactly what overclockers australia are discussing, as well as getting all machines up and running cleanly before the official starting time. I think Stanford and/or team captains officiate, to get agreed point totals. Not totally clear myself.
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=772274

4. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Yes count me in.

Paddy4929

What is the GMT time when we change our username over to CPChimps on 5th May?

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

As posted by Uncle_Fungus on Maximum PC

Which is BST -8, so: 2000 5th May BST, 1900 5th May Zulu.

I'm guessing be ready for 7pm on the 5th.
    You can change at any point on that day as whatever the points are at when the comp starts classes as zero.

6. bigtoyota479

bigtoyota479 What's a Dremel?

Please let me make this clear to all involved. We've been doing this for 3 years now, and it was made clear from Vijay and Stanford from the get-go that if people hoarded WU's and then dumped them on May 5th, they would have to end this competition that we do every year.

Especially with 8 teams involved this year, it would create quite a load on their servers, and possibly crash a few, and they don't want to deal with this. I would like to ask that everyone play fair, please. We do track WU numbers, and will know if a team dumps a load of WU's that morning. Anyone found doing so will be disqualified. We want to keep this going for years to come, and we also want to keep Stanford happy!

As far as the beginning points go, we take screenshots of the Stanford stats page at noon on May 5th, that's GMT -7 for folks that are asking. We then use the points that are posted there and start the race to 20 million!

Please feel free to change your machines over BEFORE the race if you need to. Everyone starts on even ground on May 5th.

7. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

No, that would be 8pm, hence my post. We're currently in British Summer Time. PST/PDT is always 8 hours behind us except during the daylight savings time switchovers which happen on slightly difference dates.

Just to be clear

2009/05/05 1900 UTC/GMT <- no-one currently
    2009/05/05 2000 BST <- Us in the UK
    2009/05/05 1200 PDT <- West Coast US
    2009/05/05 1400 CDT <- Central US
    2009/05/05 1500 EDT <- East Coast US

8. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

I've got another 4 GTX295's on the way for the Chimp challenge which should put the PPD I can contribute up to something close to 120000 a day. After the challenge, one pair is going to my brother and the other pair - I'm not sure, we'll see. The 'leccy company is going to love me.....

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I didn't know we were actually going to be folding for a different username for this, I must have misread the original post :(

How long roughly do we think it's going to take to hit 20M? I only have a couple of rigs and would kinda like to keep folding on my own username, but if the team needs me I'm in 100%.

10. bigtoyota479

bigtoyota479 What's a Dremel?

If your ppd is roughly 2.5 mil a day, from past experience figure about half of that goes toward the competition. That's about 1.25-1.5 mil per day, so 12-14 days?

If you have a really motivated bunch of folks here, and it seems like you do, it may be even more PPD and a shorter timeframe.

11. JackOfAll

CPChimps is the 'chosen' username. (Or that could have changed to 'CPChimps & the tech-bits' while I wasn't looking. Chuckle.)

12. JackOfAll

I think we'll be very lucky to hit 1m PPD a day. Just a quick 'back of a *** packet calculation' I did earlier based on people committed so far.

13. Unicorn

Do we really stand a chance? I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but some of the other teams in this have a few MAJOR players who produce in one day what I produce in a month...

14. JackOfAll

We don't stand a chance. (Don't tell them that.) It's more of a damage limitation exercise. :thumb:

Stiff upper lip.... That famous British reserve in the face of adversity.... It's the taking part that matters, not the winning.

15. Unicorn

But if we don't stand a chance of winning I don't really feel good about changing the username on my hardware from my own to the comp one... I'm aiming for that magical 1M points and a much higher position in the CPC ranks table :rolleyes:

16. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

C'mon Unicorn, you know you want to do it :D.

If we all join up we might stand a cats chance of not taking a complete thumping from the competition.

I, for one, may completely lose out on the race to the team no 1 slot if Dave_Goodchild doesn't sign up but, what the hell, it still seems like a good idea to me. On second thoughts, you're right, what am I doing :duh:

btw I'm trying to persuade rocketmen.tv to come out of retirement for the challenge. To early to tell though.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

That's what I was trying to say.

18. saspro

saspro IT monkey

My 7pm start was to ensure we were all ready for 8pm when it started.

19. JackOfAll

Yeah, c'mon Unicorn. We don't want to come last!

Exactly.

Repeat 1000 times. For the team. For the team. I'm doing it for the team!

20. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Don't worry JackOfAll, it would take a force majeure event to prevent me from participating. Something like losing my job, flood, lightning strike, stubbing my toe etc.