1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

If EVE wasn't subscription based then I would agree in part. I tried and tried to like EVE but I just did not find it fun and because of that I could not justify paying the subscription.

This needs to be more than a re-boot as simply clothing the old Elite with nice graphics and multiplayer will not cut the mustard. On the basis he has wanted to make the game for a long time, I am hoping (gambling!) that he has put a lot of thought into what this game should be 30 years on!

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I would hope so too. My only gripe with EVE is that it is too combat/war oriented and the level grinding you have to engage in before you get anywhere at all is longer than longcat. Great fun with a group of players, but I simply do not have the time in my life anymore to devote to it. I would like to be able to dip in, fly around a bit and dip out. It's not that kind of game.

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

As a huge fan of the original, and a fan of the genre, I've just had a major nerdgasm. With this and Star Citizen the next couple of years are looking to be very interesting for space sims and PC gaming!!

I wonder if it will come with lenslok copy protection and a novella?

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yeah not too interested in a straight remake with modern graphics. But I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt, and the poor guy's company has been starved of financing the past decade or two. It might just be a quick cash in, but it might just be a great opportunity for him to bring us the Elite4 we always dreamt of and get his foot back in the door of the industry.

5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Difficult to be justifiably cynical about a someone involved in the raspi.

Also a big fan of the original, and Oolite too. I happen to like how they're approaching this, the implication is that rather than budget & publisher deadline pressure they'll try to get what they are aiming for down even if it goes out late.

Gets my backing anyway!

6. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

I have backed this because I loved playing this game on my acorn electron, and used to play it on my Amiga as well.
    Also eve online controls system is a bit meh and its more like orbit target at said range and keep firing.

7. rma

rma Minimodder

Are you sure you played Eve?
    There are no levels in Eve, there is just passive learning (which happens whether you're online or offline) to enable you to fly ships and use items.

It's the least grindy MMO ever!

I play the game for PVE - I've only ever lost 1 ship to other players, the first time I poked my ship's nose into low sec. I now live in null sec and still am 100% PVE.

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Do you know you can purchase subscription time now for in game currency? Been playing 9.5 years myself, on a bit of a break atm, so I only have one account running. I log in and do one maybe 2 level 4 missions a night. With the isk I generate from bounties, loyalty points, loot and salvage, I make more then enough to pay for that accounts subscription.

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I didn't know that. But, to be honest I found the whole thing a bit of a grind (played for about a year several years ago). It has maybe changed now, but at the time it seemed like I had a second job. I guess it didn't help that I was a member of a group that had mining quotas for everyone - what kind of annoyed me was getting messages from the assistant deputy leader who was half my age telling me to buck my ideas up and mine more stuff! At the time I was working for a huge Corporation in real life and EVE reminded me of my job! It was supposed to be escapism!!

I am currently in the beta test for Dust 514 and it starting to feel the same!

Maybe one day I will get back to it, but I kind of like to play stuff that I can sink a couple of hours into and then forget about it until next time. It's what I hope Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen will allow me to do.

10. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm not convinced by this given all the talk of Elite 4 over the years. I haven't played Eve as I'm not a big MMO fan - particularly for Space games that are meant to be getting you away from this world.

Howveer I'm a massive fan of the X-series games by www.egosoft.com. They've taken thing a lot further while keeping it in a single player universe. The great thing is they way that you play in a universe what exists outside the sector you are in, with it calulating the effect of battles that you may never be aware of rather that have a sector effective vanish once you leave it. They whole scope of the games is massive and a single player game makes it rather more relaing as you can play when you want to and choose whether you want to be fighting or working on something else at any given time.

11. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

The X series is still living in Elite's shadow imo, even 20 something years later. If this guy gets the budget, I bet he will deliver.

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

To quote Amiga Power's review strapline: "Elite was fronty, Elite II is Frontier". I vaguely remember playing Elite once or twice on a C64, or at least attempting to and failing miserably. Elite II on the Amiga was amazing. The fact the whole universe was packed into a file under 500KB still amazes me.

13. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Maybe, but a lot of people continue to buy the latest sequels from non crowd-sourced funding even after they may have received poor reviews, it seems to be a human trait that we want a game to be good even after numerous sequels just because we have fond memories of the first one or two games in the series, I guess that's nostalgia for you.

Quite, and again it's the nostalgia associated with the game you only have to look at many of the comments posted here to see that but, are enough people nostalgic enough to pay for it :confused:

14. Risky

Risky Modder

Only because there hasn't been an actual Elite game to put it up against. The games are an impressive piece of work from a very dedicated development team.

15. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

They just lack some stuff which harms my enjoyment, but I am hoping that X:Rebirth will change that.

Hope Braben gets another shot though, there's no question to me that he deserves it. He is a geek genius when it comes to programming and gaming technology and I don't think he had a fair chance to make games in the modern age. Not sure he could come up with something today that is as special as Elite was in the 80's and early 90's, but I bet he would deliver something well worth having.

And he would have to push the boat out because Star Citizen is already promising so much.

16. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

You too, huh? :)

Loved Elite, but hated Elite II. I had a brief flirtation with Privateer, and it was good whilst it lasted (The love burned bright but briefly).

In two minds about this. Can we have normal Elite style game play with today's top notch GFX, with out all that dicking about planet side?

17. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

^ That's what the X games do, you can see the planets but you can't land on them. It's all just flying around in space, trading, expanding etc.

18. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

The studio Frontier looks like a safe bet, that being said something seems amiss, especially with no demonstrable workings. Also that thing about Ian Bell was concerning, seeing as how he was 1/2 of Elite.

It comes over to me as though they decided to work on it ten days ago, having had some board room meetings when Star Citizen was announced.

That's the short sighted bussines model, "quick earn some money, whatever it takes, whatever the cost". Then what happens after that project is completed, and they are looking at moving on to the next project.

Case in point, Studios X and Y have projects A and B on kickstarter successfully funded, both are completed, X's project is a failure in the eyes of the consumer, Y's is a great successes. Now both studios need a new project, otherwise they die. X goes to kickstarter with project C and likewise Y starts D. Plainly studio X will have quite the uphill battle getting C funded.

I would put this down to them being able to see what everyone else can't. Like MoH: Warfighter, apparently only a very small collective can see the good.

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

The way I see it is I've been wanting a new Elite game for as long as I can remember and now there's a chance of getting one. Worth £20 for the chance? Definitely!

I had a blast with Eve for the first 2 years after launch but then I had children and couldn't afford to sink so much time into a game (getting around in Eve isn't the speediest) plus all the politics, interesting yes but also time consuming. Still Eve is one of my favourite games of all time but I haven't got the time anymore.

I tried so hard to get into the X series but just found it too difficult; the potential was/is there but the learning curve too steep, for me anyway .

Now Star Citizen (big fan of Chris Roberts earlier games) and a new Elite come along, two games from a genre almost forgotten, well colour me surprised and overjoyed at the same time :rock:

20. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?