1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, any doubts people had about his enthusiasm for this were squashed with that video! He looked like a little boy who had been given the keys to the sweetshop!!

I really hope he gets the funding for this. I have pledged more that I should for this, but I think it will be worth it, if it gets made.

2. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

3. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Thanks! I'll watch that now.

Ditto :)

I really love kickstarter, no matter what happens to it in the future, at least I got Project Eternity, Chris Roberts' two games, Planetary Annihilation, and hopefully this. Now if I could just get a new System Shock :)

4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Now it's hotting up, Star Citizen 40 something star systems. Elite... pick a number.

I can see this turning into a CoD vs Battlefield tit for tat, even though they are completely different games.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Don't you just hate it when no thought at all is put into game design ;-)

6. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Hahah Braben is an uber geek of the highest order, and I can think of no better guy to make me a space game :) I knew he wouldn't let us down.

I have no doubts that he will make the most amazing universe with the most amazing technology, even better than Chris Roberts' games. My only I hesitation with Braben's game is that beyond the epic technology and infinite universe etc.. there is actually some really good gameplay. As much as I loved Frontier, the combat left a lot to be desired and there wasn't much to actually do. There were very basic missions, very basic A to B trading, and very basic piracy. But games like Eve and the X series have taken things further by letting the player own corporations and run epic automated trade routes and own their buildings in space etc.. For me to be satisfied I think these new space games are going to have to really up their game and deliver this kind of depth.

I reckon Brabens game will have the best universe but I hope he saves some focus for everything else. And I reckon Chris Roberts games will have the best combat and storyline, but I hope he saves some focus for everything else. Shame they can't work together! But I'm sure they'll both deliver good stuff anyway.

7. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

This was interesting, and gives me the impression that Star Citizen and this will be something of CoD / BF, in that in fundamentals they are the same, but operate in different manners.

And something I've not watched, but has Chris Roberts in:

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You know, David Braben has been going on about this for nearly two decades. I'd actually would have liked to see some work in progress by now. It feels like this is never going to happen. Moreover he has hyped up expectations so much by now that whatever he releases risks being a disappointment. I mean, he has EVE to go up against.

I admire his enthusiasm and it is good to pursue dreams. But part of me feels that he should just leave ELITE as it is: a timeless classic. A piece of video game history. A golden memory of our childhoods. It cannot be improved upon; it does not need to be.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2012
  9. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Like this:

10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I guess we'll find out in 30 days! If it doesn't get kickstarted I don't think it ever will. I hope he does as I like him!

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Hmm, Half time and about half funded.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If its any consolation, I'm coming around to it despite being very skeptical at first. Maybe there are more people like me out there, waiting for nearer the end of the campaign to pledge.

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I really, really hope it gets funded. I've been asking for a new Elite for longer than I care to remember. Don't get me wrong I'm all over Star Citizen but there is definitely room for two!

15. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I was sold on Cambridge.

16. Parge

The £20 pledges were getting low in number..... so I've backed it! :)

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Haha! Nice one!

18. Parge

I figured that there is space in this world for Elite and SC.

Now, Brabham - you had better pull this off!

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Have you tried the X series? TBH I was completely mad on Elite and X3 Terran Conflict has given me a similar feeling to that of Elite when it came out.

20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I have tried to play X3 and it is a game I should like, but for some reason I just can't seem to get into it. It is why it's on my 'desert island list' as I need to sit down and just have some quality time to try and get into it!