1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yeah I've played all of the X series games from over the last 9 years or so. It's only the latest one, Albion Conflict, that I've managed to get into though. They have such a steep learning curve and can be very unintuitive, which is a shame.

I read they want to correct these issues with the next installment.

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The latest update here...

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I have to try AP in the new year, I downloaded it when about a fiver on Steam a week or so ago (?) - being thrown into a war sounds appealing, that's one complaint I have with X3TC as whatever start game I use the Universe tends to balance out with hardly any fighting between races without my involvement (aside from pirates and xenon).

Yup, X:Rebirth is supposed to have quite a few gameplay changes although they have promised not to dumb it down too much.

Interested in following this development though, I think there haven't been enough good space games over the years since the original Elite.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sod it, I pledged £20,--.

For the memories.

5. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Just a reminder, with 5 days to go, it still needs to raise £150K or so

6. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Heh I think everyone already spent their money on Star Citizen.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I think they'll get there ok.

They did a far better job of pitching the game.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Agreed, Elite's pitch was awful for a long long time - basically going "OMG I MADE ELITE AND WILL MAKE ANOTHER....MAYBE" without anything to show. Star Citizen on the other hand was out of the gate with in-game footage.

9. Parge

Amazing in game footage too!

Plus they had the right idea, with offering better ships for higher pledge tiers, something elite only picked up on halfway through.

10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's looking hopeful now with four days to go. If the push on Godus in the last 24 hours is anything to go by then E : Dangerous should do it.

I like the enhancements to the trading system - I will primarily be a trader in E : Dangerous I think, so it's good to see some thought being put into that side of things. I like the idea that a group of players can flood or starve the market for their own ends - it should lead to some interesting game mechanics.

I think they could have managed their campaign better though. They were really relying on the nostalgia vote with this and did not really do very much to grab the interest of people who were not already fans of Elite.

For me, all I have to see is the schoolboy smile of DB's face when he is describing game features - you can just tell that he is very excited about making this game. I think that is very important when the project lead is so excited about the development and is not going to be restricted by suits at a publishing house.

I am really looking forward to this!

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Getting close! Latest update...

12. GravitySmacked

Watching the counter is making me feel tense!

13. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 1 Jan 2013
  14. Parge

They are now 'kind of' answering questions on Reddit. Which means loads of the people who were actually interested to ask questions have done so, but won't have them answered.

Just another example of how badly run their campaign is. Lets hope they are better at game development than they are at marketing and PR.

15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's a regular point of discussion. I think that because DB is a techie at heart and not a marketing man the project has reflected this. I reckon he is way better at development than he is marketing and I think that will bode well for Elite Dangerous.

I absolutely recognise the enthusiasm he has for this game and it is admittedly a very British understated enthusiasm but it it there nonetheless. I have pledged to get access to alpha on this one because I think that once the project gets started the experience is going to be a blast. He is bursting with ideas and I think that will be reflected in the way the game is developed.

We moan and groan often on these forums that PC game development is controlled by publishers, marketing men and bean counters in general. I think it is worth supporting a project that is very obviously being run by a techie and a developer who isn't afraid to take the game in directions that would frighten some of the big boys.

May we live in interesting times!

16. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

£32 pledged here, REALLY hope this gets the funding!

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

With 50 hours to go, the goal has been reached. Even with the usual Troll reductions, this should get past the funding post.

2013/14 - The era of Space games!!

18. Parge

Wahey!

WOOOOHOOO!

19. GravitySmacked

20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

A happy Mr Braben...