1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

G-Gnome,

Is it OK if I place your whole project log on my website when it's finnished?? (something like this needs to bee seen):dremel:

2. JeffPH

JeffPH What's a Dremel?

thanks for the help G-gnome :)

3. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Bit-Tech has been dead for me for a whole 72 hrs, somewhere along the verio link a router was dying out in the US for me...

Just went yesturday and got my self my first drill.

Click here for pic!

Today I'm off to get 1mm - 10mm bits as I have some other pending projects to complete.

Pug is sorting all my stuff out so I'm pretty much set. Sticking to 10mm barbs and 3/8" ID hosting as per nexxo's recommendation.

G-gnome: where did you get those screws/bolts to hold your restanks in place and all that? I simply love them. I need some fancy looking chrome bolts for my 2 aqua tubes...

Here is a pic of 'em :

[​IMG]

Good to be back!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2003
  4. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

G-gnome, I can hardly wait to next update. You have done something very awesome....

:rock: May mods whit you (ok, that's mean i'm praise you) :rock:

Everybody let's Praise G-gnome!!

Ps. we want more, we want more, we want more *whit rythm*
    :thumb: Doing good... hang on

5. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

beautiful, oh so beautiful
    amazing work man :clap:

:thumb: ++

6. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

like someone already said i want to know what ur going to do with the drives, i can see u replacing the out shell's on the disc drives with that green plexi, also wondering if u'll b trying to mod the hard drives:worried: lol.

going great though, keep it up./ :clap: :duh: :thumb:

7. dallas

dallas What's a Dremel?

Outstanding, It just gets better and better :clap: :clap:

8. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

g-gnome is the plexi god!!

9. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

hey gnome! excellent mod!!

Anyways i have a question.. i'm trying to use your jack plugs idea and i got myself a few of them too.. but the thing is.. when i unscrew them to reveal the solder terminals.. theres only 1 terminal.. so if i was gonna wire things to this, dont i need two? (ground, power)

heres a pix of wut i have.. im not sure if that thing sticking out is a soldering terminal or if its just used to screw it down..

the phono rca jack..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats the phono rca plug i have..

i normally use plastic ones which come with two terminals, but they look disgusting. So i'm trying to use these but theres only 1 terminal :waah:

10. BMCreider

BMCreider What's a Dremel?

You know what....

I still hate you. I have never, and I repeat never, seen a clear case look that good. How you hooked it all up is also never before seen in my eyes...

True 1337|\|355.:rock:

11. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Firstly, I used 3.5mm Mono Audio Jack plugs. All that aside, the rca plugs you have will do just as good a job and, yes, you are correct in needing 2 terminals - an RCA by it's very nature, requires 2 - just gotta find it! (looks like the second terminal is the spike sticking out of the centre of the socket ;) ).

Always wire the power to the centre part and GND to the side terminal (really concentrate on doing all of them the same way) and heatshrink your joins to eliminate any chance of a short. I would suggest wiring a plug and socket up to bare wires, plugging in, and running a multi-meter across the wires to check BEFORE you go fiddling/wiring something real important. I still test all my jack to jack cables after I solder and before I heat the shrink over them.

One other thing - with jack and RCA it's best not to plug/unplug while the PSU is on as you can easily short out the PSU by touching the plug tip to the GND on the socket (I have done it about 3 times now :duh: lucky my PSU resets itself after a short while)). Proper DC plugs have a protected live tip (the hollow centre) so can be plugged while power is on.

Anyway, just advice, but the usual disclaimer etc if you fry anything :D - if still unsure about the part itself, just go ask the store you got it at (if possible)? Hope that has been of help.

12. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi Rich_13,

Even though the case will look full-on by the time it's finished I really want to avoid a garish over-done look - complex and busy yet simple and balanced is my intent. Complex and busy through a wealth of cabling and details, but simple and balanced by sticking religiously to my main themes of neon green & clear plexi, chrome and stainless steel, white or green lighting/LEDs.

IMHO a simple mod well done is far far classier and cooler than something complex poorly executed. Expect the rest of the case to follow what I have already done (and you can see I have been at great pains to hide any ordinary computer-looking components)- that's as much as I am willing to say on my future plans at this stage ;)

13. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

14. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

thanks a lot gnome, that helped :)

15. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I was just rereading the sticky again and i noticed something (sorry!!)

The page title is mis-spelt It clamis the page is about G-gnome's Killer whale (ORCA).

16. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

17. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi Mike, it's in the project log but just to recap - Stainless Steel socket head cap screws - you should be able to get em anywhere that has a good range of ssteel fittings (try places that sell marine supplies or ssteel handrails/fittings). Unfortunately, the place I got mine doesn't send overseas (they don't have a website even).:(

cheers m8 :)

p.s. Nice drill too (de walt make good stuff) but could you possibly please turn yer drill pic into a link? Only pics in this thread should be of the ORAC proj that's all - heh, I guess that applies to the pics of the plugs as well Fohcus.

Cheers Mike(and Fohcus) :thumb:

Edit - thanks for putting up the link Mike :)

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

:hehe: It doesn't in the title or on the page itself (unless I'm going blind) but seems to on the task bar ? weird :) . Unfortunately I can't get into the page anymore and edit anything so just as well it's only there, eh!(I don't have enough room at home to mod a whale!)

:D

19. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

:lol: i know its not too bad but with so many people looking at it you may want it to be correct. Im no expeert at HTML but i think its the bit in between the <title> </title> tags that determines what windows puts in the title bar of that window and the task bar.

/me gets image in head of a chrome and luminesent green killer whale slumped over a workbench with a mad proffessor gnome standing next to it with dremel in hand :dremel: :D

20. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Still stunned by the perfect execution of everything in this project so far. Totally awesome work :jawdrop:

Nice to see that you're now "Modder Elite" above your avatar, can't think of anyone that deserves it more :rock: :rock:

Looking forward to future updates, it just gets better every time :D

Darkside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.