1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 480 Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 15 Apr 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Since when did they start letting the partially deaf review gfx coolers? Quiet it is not.:nono: Well, it is now i've got the 3 pin extension on and speedfan looking after it.

i think maybe i went a bit overboard with the heatsinks:worried:
    [​IMG]

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Typically you don't need to cool the 'Inductors' and the heatsinks on those may obstruct the Gelid cooler itself because it is raised. The Inductors are the six modules to the right of the capacitors. Everything else looks fine, nice job! :thumb:

3. The_Crapman

I thought I'd see if actively cooling them helped lower the voltage any, but temps were affected, only got 72 on furmark@950mv :s will take them off when I get back tonight. Water cooling stuff for modding my 620 should arrive today! :D

4. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Have managed a little screw up in regards to my 480 SLI upgrade plan, Currently living in halls at Uni and my HX850W's modular PCI-E power leads are at home :( Parents are in Vegas for NAB for the next few weeks so I've fired off a begging RMA request to Corsair and hopefully they'll be able to get me some soon :-/ is so frustrating sat here looking at one of the 480's here on my desk. Gonna be good when it's in though :)

5. sirsiddius

sirsiddius What's a Dremel?

Hi, owner of a POV GTX480 here. My card goes up to 74 Celsius with fan speed at 100% under furmark at 720mhz. Noise isn't an issue since I only use my PC to game and it's rather quiet till the gpu fans spins up and drowns out the other 8 fans my case. But I consider the efficiency of the stock gpu cooler relative to the noise it generates to be abysmal.

Thinking of getting an aftermarket cooler, those of you with gelid or arctic accelero solutions care to share some pros and cons of each?. The Arctic accelero seems to be over twice the price of the icy vision, and i'm wondering where that premium is going towards.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Post a pic of the leads you need I might have some you can borrow

7. Madness_3d

That would be awesome if you did :D It's 2x these, for this PSU.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I'll get a nice reply from corsair sending me some but if not you'd be a life saver :clap:

Last edited: 19 Apr 2012
  8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Can't speak for the Accelero but the Gelid is adaptable and can be made quieter if you install some form of fan control alongside it. Would have thought a Zalman FanMate would do a good job. Although to be honest I don't personally find it all that loud, then again I do have a couple of Delta Fans to deafen me once every quarter of an hour! :D

9. The_Crapman

I've just got a gelid, although yet to do any proper testing with it. If you have some puny non delta fans, it is quite loud using the 4 pin connecter to the gfx pcb as its not actually a pwm cable. But it comes with a 3 pin adapter to hook it up to your motherboard and it is very quiet for general browsing/low load.

On a side note, I got my antec kuhler mod finished last night.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/75170254@N08/6946112406/
    Well I say finished, itks yet to be filled but passed the leak test with flying colours:) Sorry for the link I can't get the location on my phone.

10. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Please dont use anything but the correct leads!! I used leads from another psu from the same manufacturer as mine (corsair) and it blew up my gtx 480, a rampage ii extreme and a 128gb ssd!

Corsair sent me the correct leads in a couple of weeks, I was just impatient and I wish I had waited.

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's really neat! :thumb:

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

13. Teelzebub

I'll sort out all the corsair ones I have and get some pic's posted tomorrow

Edit these are the right one's I believe I've got two if you want to borrow them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PM me your address and I'll send them if you want them

Last edited: 19 Apr 2012
  14. Madness_3d

@Teelzebub Awesome that looks like them, Working on getting my cables found and sent to me but not sure how that's going to pan out, If I haven't had any luck or heard from corsair by monday-ish I'll drop you that pm. Thank you so much for helping out and if I borrow them I'll be happy to cover the postage both ways + a beer or two :)

15. Teelzebub

No problem, Just let me know and I'll get them sent :thumb:

16. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I recently sold my watercooled 480's and upgraded to 580's. Being completely honest, I'm rather underwhelmed with the 580's. The 480's I had ran like a dream and would run at 896 / 1792 / 2030 on stock voltage. I know they scored 12,588 on 3DMark 11.

The 580's do score higher, but not by much. In hindsight, for the money I spent upgrading, I'd have been better off keeping the 480's. With the right cooling, the 480's are fantastic value for money at the moment.

17. The_Crapman

Thanks. I'm really pleased how it turned out. Was going to do a write up last night but I got a new job yesterday so went out to celebrate :D

18. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Got my 480 today for some Sli goodness.

Heaven benchmark: Stock Settings
    Score:1276
    FPS: 50.7
    Min FPS: 19.8
    Max FPS: 130.9

API: DirectX11
    Tessellation: Extreme
    Shaders: High
    Anisptropy: 16x
    Anti-aliasing: 8x
    Resolution: 1920x1080

what did you guys get for sli?

19. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

^^ what did you get with a single card ??

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've got a rippin' SLI board and a good PSU, so I might consider getting a second 480 if the prices stay reasonable.

I've also got my watt meter back home so I'm going to measure power draw and see if I can stretch to a second 480 with my 775W unit. :thumb:

As for single GTX480 performance, anybody want to take a stab at this (the GPU score)? :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Apr 2012