1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 480 Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 15 Apr 2012.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My only aim is to destroy your GPU score LennyRhys! :D

Can I transfer my 3DMark license to a second PC? Only flaw in my plan at the moment! I have two fat 240 Radiators supported by dual Phobya Nano-2G and Delta FFB1212EHE 120mm fans. Your Gigaybte Special Edition 480 will be decimated! Although it is a lovely card :thumb:

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Good luck :D

If you can get past 910MHz on the core I'll be very impressed :thumb:

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's a champion when undervolted so I'm inclined to believe that gives me lots of headroom where overclocking is concerned. Have you tried undervolting your chip LennyRhys? My ASUS GTX 480 got down to 925mV and operated at stock clocks perfectly.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've not tried undervolting yet - I think I had it at 800MHz on stock volts (1000mV) and it was fine. The temperature is ridiculous at the moment though... idling at 55C because the thing is just caked in dust. I need to get the rocket blower and the hoover onto it!

Edit: I just remembered that using both monitors (30" and 20") pushes the idle temp up quite high. D'oh. It's 3760x1600 :D

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Installed a second 240 RAD in preparation for the Hydro Copper cooled ASUS GTX 480. At the moment it's cooling my E8500 and 680i Chipset very well with some more reasonable (quieter!) Phobya Nano-2G on the second RAD. Still can't beat the Deltas for that extreme edge though! :D

Sounds like your card needs some TLC LennyRhys. Give it a good dust off and some new TIM! :thumb:

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Score: 729
    FPS: 28.9
    Min FPS: 8
    Max FPS: 70.2

those are some tough settings for the old girl!

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just reassembled the Hydro Copper, fully cleaned and now decked out with Arctic Silver 5 on the VRM heatpipe (internal heatsink, not the VRM themselves!). Also used silicon grease around the edges of the waterblock and not on the seal itself. Little extra water proofing for piece of mind! :D

Used a little silicon grease on the water block screw threads and it makes them a damn sight easier to tighten! Hopefully get a leak test rocking this weekend and then I'll move onto the ASUS GTX 480 install! Loops all ready sitting and waiting for this GPU! :thumb:

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Finally got the TRI SLI set up again so what benchmark programs we using

At stock settings with 2x480's Heaven temps maxed @ 72c fans set at 58%

[​IMG]

With 3x480's

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Apr 2012
  9. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I'm gonna have to try and get involved in this overclocking soon :p from what I've seen so far my Asus looks to be the better clocker but to be honest neither of them look like they're great shakes in that department, I think they're both 1025mV stock voltage but we shall see, they both seem happy at 570 clocks 732/3900 core/ram but from what little testing I've done the EVGA bonked out at 800/3900 @ 1.1v :duh:

My cables have arrived but are stuck at the posties now until monday :( Ironically same day mine find their way here I get an email from corsair saying they're sending out spares on monday ^_^ Either way should be able to get some SLI going soon :D

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Leak test of the Hydro Copper failed, but not badly. My big hose managed to twist the barb loose, once it was properly tightened it is completely leak free! Has a real fast flow rate as well which bodes well for temperatures on the GTX 480. I'm going to dig out a small Delta fan that I previously used on the 680i Northbridge. I will be pumping some riskier volts through this card so the Delta will take care of VRM cooling with directed air flow.

11. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

So yeah carrying on from my thread, Seeing interesting results so far,

Playing BF3 Maxed out at 1920x1200 with VSync on (I hate screen tearing) I am seeing lower temperatures and less noise with two cards than with one!

The reasoning being that the average GPU load on each card is only 65% according to GPUZ so less noise, lower temps and an absolutely silky smooth frame rate

Same story with Skyrim except even less load, even with Ultra, 8xAA and FXAA!

All in all by spreading the load over the two cards I've turned two hot running beasts into gentle creatures, until that is, you fire up something which takes both cards to 100%

Getting max temps of 93/88C on the two cards, under gaming mind (Metro 2033), I haven't dared try the likes of furmark on them :p Don't want to blow my PSU before I've even got started :)

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Try to keep the thread on topic pls Blogins :naughty:

LOL :D

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's hard to avoid innuendo when describing water cooling!

Also my GTX 480 is now underwater sitting at around 40 degrees in game. Time to beat your clocks LennyRhys! :D

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Bring it :D

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What voltage does your GTX 480 offer 910MHz clocks LennyRhys?

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just did a run at 920MHz on the core with 1100mV, this was stable throughout the 3DMark Vantage Benchmark. I lack a full license on this machine so no scores! :(

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Never thought I'd ever say this, but... deep breath, my GTX 480 overclock is PSU limited! :D

My little Enermax Liberty 400W PSU shut down at 600Watts! Left it for a minute and then I turned it back on with no problems whatsoever, just gotta love this PSU. This was at 1120mV on the GTX 480 with 930MHz on the core testing the metal with FurMark. I'll have to hook up my Enermax Galaxy 850W PSU externally to advance my testing!

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Attention watercooling officianados! I'm going to have a go at using an antec kuhler 620 to cool my 480. Full details can be found in the modding thread linked in my sig. Your help would be much appreciated :D

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was maxed out at 1.125v... however high the bios allows it to go via Afterburner basically.

I tried running it with higher clocks but it crashed, and it's definitely not PSU limited but very possibly heat limited!

20. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I only just found this thread! Typical - always late to the party.

I've got 2x480's in SLI (1 Zotac, 1xeVGA) both @ stock, but under water. Was on Sandy bridge, but sold up and went back to an RIIE S1366 board - because I love it. :)

Not sure if my cpu is 100% stable @ 4.2Ghz (i7 950) as my GPU folding clients crash after a while - that's some heat that these tykes kick out when they're going for it...