Windows Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JPClyde, 10 Apr 2012.

1. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I'm over 350 in cooking but they have made it harder as of a small patch a few days ago, I don't envy the guys starting from scratch on it now, it's harder to get going than it was. You should definitely get in to something as soon as possible, they give mad xp. Not so much at first but enough to get a few levels through that alone, where I am now I get like 12k xp a craft with newer stuff and you can definitely get 5-10 levels throughout crafting to 400, if not more. Not to mention you can have 2 at once AND if you drop one to get another you can retake it later (at a cost) with the same progress recorded.

That means in theory, you can level to 80 by maxing all trades.. quite nice for those that enjoy that type of thing. A bonus for those of us that want to make a few of the levels fly by. ;)

@ DOM - I've been on mumble on and off over the last week, where you hiding?

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

For crafting I made the mistake of selling all my early materials so now I can't craft anything unless I go back to the low zones to mine stuff. I have a crap ton of mid and high end crafting materials (I store everything besides cooking materials, though I should probably save those for another char).

3. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Right, looks like I better get my craft on, think I'm only like level 25 in leatherworking! As a engineer, what would you recommend as a second crafting skill first to complement engi/leatherworking?

4. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Digi summed it up for me in game one time - it is a disadvantage to choose two similar skills. For example, I originally chose leatherworking and huntsman. The problem was that both used leather, and both also used vials of weak blood (so annoying to get!). I switched my leatherworking over to cooking - literally making 10 crafts took it straight up to 25-ish.

5. mansueto

I made the mistake of having armor and weaponsmithing, I have armor around 150, weapon around 23. I'll have to abandon weapon and either go back to farm for cooking or just not get a 2nd profession. Alternatively, I could roll a new character.

6. lava

lava Minimodder

Finaly got round to getting this just downloading now. Any recommendations for servers start on?

7. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Desolation is popular around here, but I belive it is quite busy so queues for things like WvW can be quite long. I'm on Aurao Glade and it's nicely populated. Think a few others are on Gunners Hold too.

8. Prowler_88

Prowler_88 What's a Dremel?

I'm on Whiteside Ridge, and so far not come across many idiots, plus queues for WvWvW is pretty short. Great running around in WvW with your guild mates :D

9. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Just been taking a look around some of the GW2 fan sites and found something that may be of use to someone.

GW2 Trading Post Calculator

Source

Also, i noticed they have put a priority order of the 'F' interact key - i can at last run around spamming F over bodies without hopefully talking to every NPC in the vicinity :D

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I am thinking about moving Home Server as long as it is still free to do so. Would like to play WvW at some point.

Have done some PVP. And whilst its ok at low level my skills aren't strong enough to do enough damage.

11. mansueto

I prefer WvW over PvP. WvW is more tactical, you gain a lot of karma if you have a good group and continuously assault and take over or defend keeps and towers and you get some decent xp while having a lot of fun. PvP only gives you karma and your PvP rank, it also feels less rewarding.

12. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Invite please? Name is: Caim Melbourne

13. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

SPvP - Structured PvP in GW2 parlance - actually gives you glory which will allow you to get better pvp gear (cosmetic only) and other pvp bonuses. It's a lot of fun and a good place for honing your pvp skills 1 on 1 or against multiple opponents without always getting zerged. The only con atm is the amount of maps and no CTF or other modes. The tournaments are also more organised version of this and get very very tactical.

@ DOM - You can have all skills and all your weapons can be top-end 5 minutes after walking in there, regardless of your level outside. That's what SPvP gives you that you can't get unless putting in a lot of hours in WvW or PvE. Thus you are on a level playing field gear wise with everyone else and it allows for great customisation of builds and gear - not to mention, as pointed out earlier, a smaller format to get your 'pvp skill' up to par.

WvW, when done well will always outshine SPvP for the sheer open-ended-ness, but if people don't work together or run around zerging it can quickly turn in to a tough time and even a exercise in how to waste time. That's why it's nice to get in guilds structured for the task or communicate with people in the zone.

mansueto likes this.
  14. mansueto

Thanks for the tips on sPvP, I'll have to look into that down the road once I learn the ins and outs of my class, and find a few builds based on team composition. WvW can be overwhelming without an organized group, the other night we were basically spawn camping another realm and we set out a bunch of arrow carts and ballistas. Granted, we were organized and had 40-50 people, we managed to hold them off for a good 30 minutes before we got flanked from both sides. It was a glorious death though.

15. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

I managed to jump into a bit of WvW last night. I enjoyed it but it was a bit hectic as I didn't really know what was entirely going on! Managed to follow a group of people that eventually turned into about 50+ of us running around stomping everything in our path :thumb:

Are peolw doing the daily and monthly achievements? I try to the daily ones everyday I log in. I manage to do everything ok apart from the last few nights I have been unable to compete the 5 DE's required due to a few being bugged :( annoying as I only really get a couple of hours a night to play and don't want to miss out on some free rewards :)

16. Harty

Harty What's a Dremel?

A 6850 with an i5 3450 could max this out with 30+ fps, right? Probably going to be my new build, will be mostly playing this...

17. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

I would reckon so! My 7850 fluctuates between 100+ fps in certain areas to 40 odd fps on 50+ people in an WvW fight. That's on all hight settings but with native sampling rather than super sampling.

18. Harty

Harty What's a Dremel?

I'm tempted to pick up a 7850, but then I'd have to wait a couple of months so I can fill in the extra cost, which isn't very ideal. :sigh:

Anyway! In WvW, I understand the fps drops heavily, is that due to the CPU or GPU needing to render, or both?

19. mansueto

The monthly gives some xp, karma and 20 of those coins. I don't go out of my way to do dailies, but just leveling you normally complete them.

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

My main is completely broke, I made a mistake and bought a books from a trainer without thinking about it. So I have 0 money.