1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Have you had major surgery?

Discussion in 'General' started by teacherboy, 12 Sep 2012.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Mmmm, omeprazole, sweet relief from constant acid reflux. Awesome little rattly capsules.

Ramipril junkie here too, only mine are blue and white (10mg).

Only surgery I have ever has was a circumcision (before anyone says anything, nothing remotely major about that...) about 4 years ago due to some complications arising from my diabetes.

First time I had ever had a general knockout either so I was more than a little nervous. Cutest little student doctor was getting ready to put the breathing tube down my throat, she didn't help my blood pressure at all but hey, at least it meant they would be able to find what they were going to operate on... ;-)

Last edited: 5 Oct 2012
  2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Too many to list. Do have a plate in my skull. No lasting meds from that, but everything else gets them. Omeprazole, nortriptyline, metoprolol, tramadol and oxycodone for the rest of my life, with more to come. Still waiting for my turn at that aorta surgery. They're hoping my heart lasts long enough.

3. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

the only medical surgery i have had done (in a hospital) was a tonsel removal when i was 6. But have had lots of dental reconstructive work done.

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Omg epic scar. Congrats on happy ending.

My only hospital story is getting my appendix out, I was about 12 I think. Wasn't very nice, but it's the happy ending that counts. I had been off sick from school for a week or so because I was a lazy bones (still am) and used to make up excuses not to go. And then just my luck, the sunday night before going back the next day, I spent the whole night being violently ill. I kept trying to wake my parents and they kept telling me to get lost and try to sleep. By morning I was still awake, and had vomited so much, all that was coming up was green bile, and even some medicine I took in the night just got vomited up 5 minutes later.

My Dad whizzed me to hospital (A&E), and they saw me right away. A nurse pressed on my stomach and said does it hurt here?, owwww, does it hurt here? Owwwwww, then pressed on the lower right side, does it hurt here? YAAAAAAARGGGGHWWW!!!!!!!!! So she says it seems to be appendicitis. Can't remember if they took an x-ray to confirm but they may have. Anyway she says we better put you on a ward and keep an eye on you, as sometimes it goes away by itself, and in fact that might have happened to me years before, I think.

Anyway this time, I spent the whole time on the ward feeling really ill and it didn't get any better. I don't even know how long I waited because I was asleep most of the time, between vomiting, but one night I was woken up in the middle of the night and all the other kids on the ward were asleep, and my parents were standing over me and a doctor woke me up and startled me. He put his nose right next to my mouth and I grumbled URGGHH!! and tried to turn away because I was sure my breath would be gross. He said, "No its ok!" so I breathed on his nose and he immediately turned and walked away, gesturing to the other doctors, and they all started rushing. I felt really dizzy and all the lights seemed to be waving around and I felt kind of delirious and I think I fell asleep or something. Next thing I know I was awake again, and my bed was being pushed down a corridor and there were people around me pushing the bed, and I was looking up at the lights travelling above me, and it was kinda scary, reminded me of a psychological horror film when patients get tied up in a straight jacket and drugged and then wheeled down the same looking corridor on their beds to be cut up, or whatever. Only in my case, deep down I wasn't really scared and I knew they were going to save my bacon.

Then I remember arriving in the operating theatre and all I remember was 2 pretty looking nurses that smiled at me and said it's going to be ok and they were just amazing at putting me at ease. They put a mask on me with gas and I went to sleep.

I woke what I assume is the next day but I have no idea how long that was, and I was still in bed but back in the ward now, and it was daytime with curtains open, nice sunlight coming in the room and the big TV was on and all the kids watching telly. A nurse came over and said everything went great and I was on painkillers and I was being fed by a drip in my arm (or hand, can't remember). She said I would have to stay there for a week or so to recover. (YAY no school!) My stomach was ok when I was just laying still, but if I tried to move it was insanely painful. The worst thing was when my family came and tried to cheer me up - laughing was just excruciating and I had to tell them, I know you're trying to cheer me up but please stop being funny, it really hurts!

So I spent a week bored crapless, (and literally crapless, not even a wee) for a whole week, just watching TV. Then after about a week (maybe two) they removed my drip and started bringing me real food, and then I was there another week or so, while they waited for me to go to the toilet. The weirdest sensation was when I first got out of bed to go to the toilet, I had to take a drip with me (I think it was still in at that point - maybe just for liquids at this point) and I could barely walk. It was like when you see people who have spinal injuries, I could stand up but I literally couldn't walk. I had to go step by step, one step every 15 seconds or so. It took me ages. Very strange and worrying too. Can't remember if they gave me a wheelchair but they might have. But I was only there another week anyway, eating normal food etc. And then I remember a doctor came to see me and sign me out, and he asked me if I liked McDonalds, and I said yes! He said, "All looking good, you're ok to go home now. On the way home, ask your mum to take you to McDonalds, and get big mac and large fries and a milk shake and eat it all." Best thing a doctor ever said to me :)

Back at home I had some "butterfly stitches" on the cut on my stomach which is about 2 inches long. And then I think about 2 weeks later a district nurse came to my house and checked it out and then removed them. And I lived happily ever after. Kinda.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2012
  5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Simple appendectomy whilst I was a teen, I find its the equivalent to receiving a certificate from sports day at school. Not worthy of a 1,2,3 position, more of a 6th and "thank you for taking part".

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Had one a few years back when i fractured my pelvis and chipped the ball of my hip and broke the femur after a mountain biking accident.
    Basically its left me with a weakened left hip and knee, the hip comes out of place easily similar to unilateral hip dysplasia so im not allowed to run and have to be careful getting up and sitting down. The knee is simple compound damage from the accident where the cartlidge has never fully come back
    Due to these ive two major ops to look forward to, first a knee replacement and then a couple of years after a total hip replacement. Both should solve the pains etc I have and mean I can keep active

7. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Modded a dressing this morning so it was a hybrid 25cm Tegaderm with a 20cm Inadine Core :lol::lol:

[​IMG]

KayinBlack likes this.
  8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Mad propz. I know that trick. Hate Tegaderms though. They rip out my hair. Especially when they're on your face.

9. teacherboy

You have seen the pics above of my chest haven't you :worried::worried:

It's Interesting taking them off :jawdrop:

10. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Wow, impressive account. Good luck with the recovery.

Only surgeries for me are/were

Tonsils removed at 30, got told this was dangerous because of my age.
    Right ankle full dislocation in 2006, 9 screws and a metal plate inserted. Told at the time that this was a rare injury.
    Left ankle full dislocation in 2010, 8 screws and a metal plate inserted. Not that rare then.

Nothing since and not planning on requiring any ever again.

11. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

I had a hernia surgery 4 years ago (result of the teenage use of weights and a rugby accident) so now I have a large scar and a special net partially replacing the bottom of my stomach :-/ fortunately my scar was almost identical to yours and it healed very nicely, it kind of "faded" considerably. Unfortunately this surgery was in a bit of a haste and rather complicated, so the doc (also a professor) messed up the nerve going down to my right leg, which resulted in a partial thigh muscle numbness (no loss of mobility); weirdly this nerve practically repaired itself, somehow, almost exactly 4 years on. I simply woke up one morning and the feeling was back :cool:
    As for the pre-op, I agree with everyone here, just take it easy and don't worry, there's a reason why medics work their asses off at uni and beyond for at least 10 years before they get to cut and fix people. If they went through a 2 year program at college, then I would not let them touch me at all!

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Wow, after reading this thread i am no longer going to worry about having my gallbladder out :p

Nice!

13. teacherboy

Glad to have been of help - am largely recovered now and see my surgeon for a full MOT on 13th November, should get chest x-ray/ECG/Echocardiogram to check all the new hardware is bedded in nicely and that any scar tissue is not an issue and that the wires around my breastbone haven't broken free and likely to poke a lung/artery/heart chamber etc.

On the upcoming Gall bladder op - good luck, my wife's uncle had his removed a couple of months ago as an emergency procedure and he was up and about the day after and outta hospital after a coupla days - he's 65 so I think you'll be OK :thumb:

14. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Okay, I might as well relate the two major surgeries I've had, both in the same year. One was an emergency C-Section when I had been in hard labor over 36 hours and my daughter's head was stuck on my pelvis. We were both in trouble, so it was touch and go at that point. Luckily everything worked out fine, although she was in neo-natal intensive care for a couple of days and overall we were in the hospital a week. As hard as it was, at least they hadn't already done an episiotomy before determining the C-Section was necessary. Some women have to deal with both.

I breast fed the little piglet for a month or so, but she was really hard on my nipples. Long story short, I ended up with a staph infection in my right breast. They attempted to treat it with antibiotics, but it had already gone systemic. Another emergency surgery for a partial mastectomy to remove the infected tissue. The surgeon told me he took out approximately a fist-sized section of flesh. More antibiotics and having to let the wound heal from the inside out. This meant it was open and closed itself up over the next couple of months. I was supposed to stand in the shower and let warm water wash over it to clean the wound out when I changed dressings. The flow was way too strong, so I improvised and used sterile saline fluid meant for contact lenses. The surgeon was amazed how quickly it healed. I did find it rather fascinating to have an inside look at my own breast. ;)

So I had a "zipper" scar beneath my navel and a crescent-shape scar around my right aureole. Luckily I have more than enough breast to spare and no one can tell I had that removed unless I tell them. ;)

15. teacherboy

My wife had an emergency (Category 1 over here in the UK) C-section when our daughter was born, nowhere near as long in labour but head stuck on pelvis - midwife told me to push a little red button and time and space then folded in on us, Lucy was stripped, prepped and luckily as she had eaten a biscuit or something within the last hour didn't have to have a general, she had an epidural.

For me the world went pretty much black and white, was told to put on scrubs and find my way to the operating theatre.

Beyond that all I can say is 15 mins from that button push to baby in arms - they were awesome and it all could have gone so very differently so very easily and I'm eternally grateful it didn't.

16. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Understood! As long as they came through everything okay! My daughter is now 26 and my granddaughter is 4. So very glad they had a much easier time birthing than I did.

17. teacherboy

First session of Cardiac Rehab was today - step tests for baseline fitness that I did all the way to the highest level they do ( Most of their patients are pretty elderly and quite frail ) and then circuit training for 3 mins each on various machines ( Rowing x2, upright static bike, recumbent static bike, treadmill, handcycle, cross trainer, stepper ) and some cool down/stretching exercises in between.

First time I've done any sort of structured exercise in years and I still made the instructor sweat to keep up :D

Just gotta survive the next 11 sessions ( 6 weeks x 2 session per week on Monday/Thursday afternoons ) and post an improvement on each machine although my self imposed target is to pull more than 200 watts on the 2 rowing machines at full resistance at over 30 strokes/min for each 3 minute session by the end of the course - If I can do that I'll be well happy and then trot off to my local gym to continue the general theme but probably lose the funky in between exercises as I'll look like a total tool doing box steps in between machine sessions :eyebrow:

Oh and had the all clear from my first surgical consultation post op last week - no problems and a drop in dosage for one of my meds ( Ramipril )

18. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Arghhh surgery on the 26th!

Ughh! please, please, let me be able to pee after! donotwant that thing up my .... :(

19. teacherboy

Nothing to worry about having a catheter - try and actually figure out when you may be having a pee though - you'll most likely fail on that one.

If the surgery is big enough to warrant one you'll be under anaesthetic when they place it and on funky pain meds when they take it out (shouldn't hurt anyways as balloon that keeps it in is deflated and it's just a thin tube).

Good luck with the op anyways - get the gf/wife/partner to take a pic when you come into recovery/ward so you get to see yourself as they saw you post-op. Let us know your experience so it can be added to the thread :D

20. heh-

heh- curses.

I echo teacherboy saying nothing to worry about having a catheter - I had to have one after both my recent surgeries - although the second time I had an alergic reaction to the pain meds - peeing didn't work, so they put a catheter in... which didn't work, it was only when they took me off the meds that I could pee at which time my bladder was like concrete :eeek: