1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Have you had major surgery?

Discussion in 'General' started by teacherboy, 12 Sep 2012.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Thank you for the reply! That's pretty crazy being stuck in your own mind.

Sent from my hospital bed

2. Weekly_Estimate

Anyone ever had a tube/camera put down there throat?

I've got a massive stone stuck in my bile duct xD

3. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Yes. Thankfully for me the policy at the hospital I had it done was to allow you to be knocked out for the procedure, as it is not very pleasant.
    My family members have all had it done in Portsmouth and the QA's policy was to either numb your throat or partially sedate you, neither of which is nice.

4. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Had an internal (Trans-Oesophageal) ultrasound x2 as part of the tests prior to the heart surgery and whilst the first at Yeovil District Hospital was ok due to the consultant using 3x the normal amount of throat spray (This in itself was the worst part for me as it makes you gag and want to spew), plus valium (Still didn't make me drowsy - was mimicking the "scratching" DJ's do when they were playing the sound of leaking valves through the speakers.)

The second one was horrible as they used much less spray at the heart institute (although they did try to compensate with a small dose of morphine) - i spent the whole procedure gagging and choking - to which they told me "breathe normally"..... hmmmm :grr: this is not funny when you have a metabolism that consumes valium/morphine/painkillers in general and processes them in double quick time :eyebrow:

Talk to them beforehand (my consultant from yeovil did this for me via his notes from the procedure - hence the morphine for the second one as he had noticed my tolerance for what would make the average person be asleep for 2 hours, the next one was - he was in the bed next to me) and tell them your fears and ask what they can give you to make it pain/discomfort free.

5. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I've had surgery on one of my eyes to straighten it; They were not aligned from birth!

6. Weekly_Estimate

Yeah i asked if they could put me under and received a massive NO. So i'm thinking of picking the second option :/

I'll ask them! bet they wont do anything tho!

7. heh-

heh- curses.

Just booked my appointment in the hospital which will be 6 months after my last one and almost a year after my accident.

Looking forward to seeing if they can take all the hardware out of my leg or if I'm stuck with it for life. Hopefully they can get rid of it because it's quite painful in certain situations.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Having an endoscope down is normally not done under GA as it is a lot less complicated - no anaethetist required, no ventilation or airway management beyond some basics as the patient is conscious and hence protects their airway themselves. Plus the procedure is more rapid, and with less complications.

9. Weekly_Estimate

Thanks for the replies guys the scope was nothing, they injected a really strong painkiller, then the sedation stuff, all I can remember is puking midway and being helpless because of the tube. Was over in like 20 minutes!

Hopefully that's my surgery experience over now.

Wish everyone all the best :)

10. teacherboy

Hopefully will have more tales of tests being wrought upon my body soon...... started coughing blood last night while at the gym.

Sat in hospital bored but at least they have wifi to occupy me until my code runs out at 3.51pm

11. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm facing surgery for a urachal cyst, major surgery involving cutting the abdominals and a long, long recovery time. Not looking forward to it. Except the fact that I'll not hurt as much afterwards.

12. teacherboy

Good Luck Kayin :D

13. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I had the same thing done last year and it really helped. I haven't had a twinge out of it in 9 months.

The only difference is I had mine taken out after 4 years due to on going pain. Not horrific pain by any means but enough to make me wince on a daily basis.

At the end of the day the human leg was never really designed to acommodate a huge chunk of metal as well as all the other odds and ends it has to cope with.

Hopefully they sort it for you.

14. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Currently waiting for a date to go in for surgery to correct a burst disc on my back following a car accident last year, never had surgery, never been knocked out before, never done anything other than continually breaking bones, also have a completely irrational/pointless/stupid fear of needles. This could be interesting.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up, quite an interesting read for some awaiting surgery :)

15. teacherboy

Seen a consultant who's not overly concerned about the (what was in all honesty) a minor bleed, most likely caused by a ruptured blood vessel from a cough that was triggered by someone using one of the immensely pungent alcohol wipes near me in the gym.

What would immediately seal in a normal person pisses blood in me due to warfarin and so i coughed more due to blood leaking which made more blood leak ....... and continue on and on until you sit or lay very still so it can then veeeeerrrrryyyyyy sloooooooowly clot.

Still have to stay in overnight despite only living half a mile away and being in no danger of dying just yet :wallbash:

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Good old YDH, teacherboy? Hope it's not too crap a night for you.

17. teacherboy

Yup, YDH - supposed to be moving upstairs sometime soon, enquired about going home but have to stay as there is some confusion about whether a CT that was planned for me is still planned or whether it's just another night of obs and then booted out tomorrow.

Nobody seems to know either way.

On plus side I haven't spat up any blood for 20 hours so guess it was a small tear that just didn't close as quickly as it would in a normal, non warfarin chomping person - instead of anything else too terrifying to contemplate.

18. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Nothing like keeping patients up-to-date about what's going on...

19. teacherboy

Was released yesterday after being given a clean bill of health .... been told to tell my GP should it happen again :rolleyes:

PingPong likes this.
  20. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Ive had an endoscope down my throat to check for stomach cancer,also surgery to remove a hernia,surgery on my left shoulder and am shortly at the end of the month going for a colonoscopy not looking forward to that I can tell you