1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat Foldings worst Enemy

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Vince_Kinslow, 30 Jun 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My bedroom window hasn't been closed for the past 2 weeks, and that's no joke. Doors open, desk fans blowing through open windows... and my room still won't get below 28 celcius ambient (Which translates to about 32 degrees case temp and around 50-60 on CPUs, 65-75 on GPUs).

I haven't, like many of you have been saying, removed any overclocks just yet. I won't have to as soon as the new network connection to my workshop is finished and I can move these machines down there because it's nice and cool in there most of the time (at least it will be until this lot get in there and heat it up :rolleyes:)

Keep on bearing the heat and fold on everyone, EVGA will not stop just because we're sweating a little!

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Wrong forum uni :naughty:

Selective quotes f t w

3. Unicorn

LOL you got me :D

Embrace the cheesecake Sas! :p

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Just checked my temps this morning ... one of my CPU's was sitting at 98DegC :jawdrop:
    Seems the arctic freezer HSF stopped working - that puts a couple of GPU's out of action till I can get a replacement (hopefully there's no permanent damage!) :wallbash:

5. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

Heats got saspro I reckon thinking about uni's bedroom :worried: :naughty: :nono::lol:

7.15 am temp in the office a nice 20.2C to start the day :rolleyes:

6. Vince_Kinslow

:eeek: Sorry to here your woes Jon not the best start to the day matey :worried:

7. Unicorn

I woke up to a coolish 23.8 this morning, then started Antec300_2 up again and watched it slowly rise right back up to 28 :D

8. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Great thread Vince, very topical and just at the right time here in the UK.

My office is a cool 24 degree C in the mornings in this weather, however with its flat roof and being upstairs that quickly rises as the sun moves around to the front where the office is. Yesterday it hit a high of 31.8 with both folding pc working and both windows open and desk fan working at top speed.

The fans in the Antec 300 i have is keeping that hardware under control but my other generic beige box is a nightmare, i have the side door open angled to funnel in the air from a 12" desk fan through, pretty crude but will have make do until funds allow.

9. Vince_Kinslow

:rolleyes: Back up to 28C already its only just 9:00am :nono:
    If any of my GPU' go over 85C Im switching my machines off :worried:

10. Vince_Kinslow

23.2c this morning at 0809am had some rain earlier thought things may cool down instead its got very muggy :sigh:

11. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Hi all
    The interesting thing is that my 2nd computer in the radio shack in the loft which is at 28'c is churning out 511's on its ATI 3850 at 70'c no bother, whilst my new PC using the NV 275 in the lounge at 25'c needs the fans on full to maintain 65,c and there are 2 more 12cm fans in this larger box, be glad when I can water cool it:wallbash::wallbash:

Last edited: 3 Jul 2009
  12. Vince_Kinslow

:cooldude: Now our Indian Summer appears to have finished in the UK temp in my Office currently a pleasant 20C. :cooldude:

Where there any other folding kit fatalities or was it just poor saspro? :nono:

Hope its all sorted now chap :worried:

13. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

Everything chilling down in my rooms now too, much quieter as well as the fans can be throttled down!
    On one hand I miss the sun and the heat, on the other I'm happy because my kit is nice and cool.
    Am I strange?

14. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

My really cool funky big a$$ floor standing fan arrived today..... when its not bl00dy needed anymore! lol

All prepared for the next time though :D

15. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

It would be interesting to see how much difference it makes to temps now though, get a baseline reading and see what happens when "Summer version 2.0" kicks in!

16. Unicorn

It had better not be over! I liked those few days of summer that we had, it's our first in years. My temps are a lot lower now as well, although due to the overclocks I am keeping all the fans running at top speed. What did Sas kill? Did he lose more cards? :rolleyes:

Nope, I miss the sun as well and want it to come back, but I am enjoying the cooler temp in the room with my farm in it. Like I already said because everything is overclocked I am keeping the fans on full speed but I don't mind the noise. I work in a noisy workshop all day anyway ;)

Pix? Where'd you get it from? They have some awesome ones for cooling the rooms at the iSeries, I suspect yours might be similar to those.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

A QX9650 & maximus formula (with rampage bios). Now currently fused together.

18. Unicorn

Oh yeah I head about that somewhere (possibly in here). Ul mate :(

19. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Just got 12 Vortexx Neo's delivered for the farms.
    Hopefully they'll fit in the rack with some mods

20. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Highly rate the Neo's got a few myself and they certainly dropped the 9800GT temps by a good 30 degrees and push the heat out the back of the case :D
    My thread about them here - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=169465