1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP switches to Windows 7 'by popular demand'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You asked if Windows 8(.1) had any innovations. I pointed out that it did, and they are empirically provable. Others are patently obvious: the Modern UI is an innovation which will make itself known to a user within a few seconds of booting the system up.

Now, if you want to ignore those innovations so you can continue to believe that Windows 8(.1) brings no reason to upgrade from an older release, that's fine. But do so knowing that you are literally doing so in deliberate ignorance of the facts.

Windows 8(.1) is an innovative OS. Arguably, it might have proven more popular if it were less innovative and more like Windows 7 Mark 2.

You see? This guy gets it.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No. i said...
    Please notice that i am asking what people are expecting, i am not asking what innovation is in Windows 8.x
    And i also said in the same post...
    Did i not say the Metro GUI could be seen as innovative ?
    Am i not asking what else does 8.x bring to the table ? (to provide something that will be a benefit)
    Its got nothing to do with what i believe, its got to do with how these innovations benefit the average user.
    It probably is, but unless you benefit from these innovations it means nothing.
    Not really because if a spork brings no benefits to someone using chopsticks why would they want one ? A spork maybe very innovative but unless the person sees a clear benefit to using one over their chopsticks it may as well not exist.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Just because there is someone out there who won't want it doesn't mean something ceases to innovative. Using your reasoning, nothing is innovative, never has been, never will be; because there will always be someone who doesn't need/want it.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2014
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Except you do in the very next line. "[...] what else does 8.x bring to the table." That's what I answered, right there.
    Yes, and I answered that thoroughly. Each and every thing I highlighted - with the possible exception of ReFS, which isn't officially supported on the desktop - brings a benefit. Don't you want the smoothest possible desktop experience? More reliable backups? An easier way to manage your storage devices? Better performance from Advanced Format hard drives? Boosted security? Hell, is there a reason you ever upgraded from Windows For Workgroups?!
    That's something you added later. You asked "what else does 8.x bring to the table." I told you. Those features don't appeal to you? Don't upgrade. Nobody's forcing you. Hell, I don't use Windows at all and I seem to do just fine. But don't claim those features don't exist, or somehow don't apply because the man on the Clapham omnibus doesn't understand them. The man on the Clapham omnibus can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps in games - hence the reason games like CoD and Battlefield sell gajillions on consoles - but I'm willing to bet you wouldn't be happy trading in your graphics card for one half as powerful, would you?

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yes and i even gave a link to what the meaning of "bring to the table" is, and said. Its got nothing to do with what i believe, its got to do with how these innovations benefit the average user. Benefit meaning, Something that promotes or enhances well-being; an advantage, To be helpful or useful to.

Like i have repeatedly said, "Seriously though when people roll out this innovation label what is it they are expecting ?" They are expecting something that benefit's them, and very little of the things you list as innovations in 8.x benefit the average user.
    No. It's something that was in my very first statement, as explained above.

6. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Someone take that shovel away from him.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

/Sarcasm :p

8. Gareth Halfacree

So. Explain how everything in my last post does not benefit the end-user.

9. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

He's dug so far down he'll need them chopsticks you mentioned earlier.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just out of curiosity corky, what benefits were/are there to W7 over XP?
    Since you clearly look at it more than I do I just upgraded because I didn't see a downside (apart from my own desire to want to stay with XP for no real reason) so I didn't even bother checking what the advantages were.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Like i said earlier...
    And i have repeatedly said...
    Seriously though when people roll out this innovation label what is it they are expecting ?
    Please note I am asking what people are expecting when they use the term innovation, i cant answer this for people as what benefits them depends on what they see as an advancement or advantage over previous versions.

As pointed out in another post...
    So from a users perspective, all they see as an innovation or benefit to them is the Task and File Manager, and possibly Metro depending if you find that a benefit to your own personal way of using your device.

12. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Everyone said it was better = innovation.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not only did they say it was better, it was better for what i would guess is a large majority of users, with things like Heterogeneous Multi-adapter support from different vendors and improved performance on multi-core processors. But as i have been saying about the "innovations" in 8.x it all depends on what and how much you use any of the new and changed features listed here.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Right, so you're saying that the vast majority of users know what "heterogeneous multi-adapter support" and "improved performance on multi-core processors" mean and see both as a direct benefit to themselves, but are incapable of understanding "faster 2D graphics rendering" and "native support for modern hard disks" and seeing them as direct benefits?

Do you not see a massive chuffin' problem with your reasoning there?

David likes this.
  15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

What's that machine they used to make the channel tunnel? He's got one of them set to straight down!

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I hear that when you spin a Windows 8 installation disk backwards, you hear satanic messages. :p

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Good points. If you want a new way to use a device you need a new device. Books to e-reader for example. But that's something Microsoft didn't really pick up on entirely.

Whipping out your old man balls doesn't add credibility to the points you make.

Interestingly it wasn't until I was a man that I discovered computing without a GUI.

18. Gareth Halfacree

<takes bait> "That's nothing: if you spin it forwards, you install Windows 8!"

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ You remembered! +100 geek points. :D

Microsoft didn't pick up on a lot of trends. It had the idea of an e-reader back in 1996. Gates and Ballmer nixed it because it wouldn't be running Windows. The Courier Tablet (2008) was nixed in 2010, again for not running Windows or Office. Apple released the iPad a few months later.

I think it kind of does. People really do not seem to remember the early days of computing, and those who forget the past are forced to relive it. I lived through the introduction of small miracles like Plug & Play and Windows memory management. I remember when Windows 95 was first released. It was as rough around the edges as Windows 8.0 is now. I remember how people complained about it being so different from Windows 3.11. Then again I also recall people being rather dismissive about introduction of the mouse.

No, my son. That's when you became a man. :p

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They probably don't not know what they mean, but i would bet most would see the direct benefit of them through longer battery life on mobile devices, improved performance and the ability to run multiple monitors with ease.

When i compare the list of new and changed features of Windows 7 to Windows 8.x, i personally see more features that i would say directly benefit the user with 7 than i do with 8.x, but YMMV.