1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP switches to Windows 7 'by popular demand'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Jan 2014.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Need! :p

Seriously, how hard is it to grasp the idea of "innovation"? It is simply: a new and different way of doing things.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No. Great means, Very large in size.
    New means, Having been made or come into being only a short time ago; recent
    So adding one extra feature to an already existing program and renaming would be seen as new, selling a CPU with a 1Mhz bump would be new.
    Both according to the emphasis you placed on the meaning of innovation are innovations, when i questioned if it would be a very large helping of newness you said no, it just has to be new.
    Like the same mistake you made in assuming i meant something that i didn't in this post.
    Well as you are sticking to the strict meaning of the words, no it doesn't.
    Are you saying that after 3 month of binning when they have enough 3.4Ghz CPU's to release that its not a new CPU ? Because according to the emphasis you placed on the meaning of innovation we have made changes in something established.
    No. I asked what else does 8.x bring to the table.
    Bring to the table meaning, to provide something that will be a benefit.

So only you can misinterpret other people post ?
    And for some reason you have now expanded your originally request to provide you with a post where you misrepresented me to now wanting me to provide you with multiple post.
    Moving the goal posts much ?
    %500 of nothing is still nothing.
    %500 of 1p would be nothing if i had a million in the other account.
    And still you don't see the problem with calling something like the File History backup feature an innovation, even though it's what existed in previous version but with a few tweaks and a new name.
    You mean i don't interpret the meaning in the same way as you, news flash not everyone is going to agree with you.
    But you are setting the bar with everything you listed as innovations even though some are nothing more than a few tweaks and a new name.
    Then why would you list exactly those things when claiming there are plenty of innovations.
    So even though you say "I apologise for misinterpreting the post" and then claiming...
    So you have inaccurately interpreting my post and then based an incorrect or misleading representation of what i meant.
    Along with outright attacks for what you perceived as attacks on your person or character

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Actually, Corky, great has more than one different definition. I draw your attention to number two, to whit: "of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above average."
    Which is absolutely true, by the definition of the word innovation. However, I personally wouldn't call something innovative unless it was different and better. Just like all the examples I offered in my post were. (Although, technically speaking, that would make a Patch Tuesday patch an 'innovation,' as it's a new and better way of doing something that was previously broken. Welcome to the wonderful world of language, where words have different meanings according to context.)
    I made no assumption; I merely read your post. You've stated I misinterpreted it - which I still struggle to understand, as I can't seem to read it any other way - and I have apologised for my apparent mistake. No. Assumptions.
    That's exactly what I'm saying: it's the same CPU, just hand-selected for better quality. That's. Not. Innovation. Remember the definition of innovation involves change.
    The post I am referring to, and have linked several times, I believe I have answered in full. Have I not? Do they not provided a benefit in each of their fields?
    No, anyone can misinterpret someone's post - and then accept a correction when offered, as I did with yours. So far, however, you have not accepted that the post you appear to taken offence at was a misinterpretation and not an attack on yourself as you have claimed. Misinterpretation is an honest mistake; misrepresentation is deliberate.
    I'm doing no such thing, Corky. You stated you could provide plenty of evidence of my attacking or misrepresenting you - 'plenty', while we're quoting the dictionary, being defined as "a large or sufficient amount or quantity." I would say one post, even if it were actual evidence of your claims, is neither large nor sufficient to prove your case.
    Do you have nothing in your bank account? Do you have a million in your other account? I specifically asked if quintupling the money in your bank account would be a good thing. You haven't answered that.
    Except it isn't; it's a considerable change under the hood.
    The whole point of language is that it is a consensus. If half the country thinks a word means one thing, and half the country thinks it means another, they're going to have serious problems trying to communicate. Again, you're not arguing with me here: you're arguing with the dictionary definition of the word.
    No, I'm not. The fact you keep claiming I am is evidence that you are approaching this discussion in an extremely dishonest fashion. That is misrepresentation: you're claiming I believe something I do not, even when I have told you that is not the case. Stop it.
    Because. They're. Innovative.
    You have yet to tell me what you did mean in that post, or how it could be interpreted any other way than as a request for a list of innovations in Windows 8.x. If you do so, then I will roundly apologise for my completely unintentional misinterpretation. If you don't, then I'll assume that - as above - this is another attempt at chicanery on your part.
    Yes, that's the ad hominem - singular, making it 'attack' rather than 'attacks' as you continue to claim - I offered you in response to you doing the same to me. Remember how I've asked that you exclude that from your list, given that it was offered in simple quid-pro-quo to your own?

Still waiting.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2014
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yet another thread descends into interminable multi-quote tit-for-tat. Gareth, you're never going to get Corky to change his mind here, so this is something of an exercise in futility :D

Seriously, perhaps we need to set up another sub-forum for these tedious arguments? :)

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You're absolutely right. "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

Corky: on this topic, we shall have to agree to disagree. For my part, I wish to apologise wholeheartedly and unreservedly for my ad hominem. I did so in retaliation for what I perceived as repeated attacks against myself; that's offered not as an excuse but in simple explanation. Furthermore, I also apologise for at any point unwittingly misinterpreting any of your posts, or leaving any of mine open to such misinterpretation by being in any way unclear.

With apologies made, I wish to draw a line under the matter. I shall post no more on the topic.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I do love a good internet fight :D

Getting rather confused myself reading through it all but ah well, to me something innovative is something new and done in a better way than in the past, which I think is roughly what the definition is.

It doesn't matter if it makes no difference to me, can still be innovative.

Corky is asking for innovations that it brings to the table, as in ones people will actually notice/care about, this is difficult to quantify due to people using computers in different ways, noticing different things etc, so it's not easy to do, which I think may be part of the issue you two guys are having right now.

Then again it's entirely possibly I've completely misunderstood what you guys are going on about, in which case, carry on :) (carry on regardless please, I'm enjoying it)
    Edit: aww :(

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Let's recap:

Innovate = introducing a change or doing something in a new way;
    New = having no precedent
    To bring to the table = to offer, present or contribute (whether it is of benefit is not part of the definition).

And I would not be so conceited to argue the definition of words with a professional writer.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Word!

*nods sagely*

:lol:

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry for behaving like a pig, after taking some time away to talk to someone i realise that i failed to control the aspie side of my nature, that is no excuses for my behavior and I'm truly sorry to everyone whom i offended.

Particularly I'm sorry to you Gareth, for my repeated attacks against you. It's no excuses that i wasn't aware that what i said had been perceived that way, and i apologise for allowing things to escalate out of control.
    I'm not sure what else to say for fear of making things worse again, so i will just leave things with my heartfelt apology.
    It was never about the definition of words, it was about peoples perceived perception.
    But i think i maybe going off on one again, so I'm going to exit stage left.

10. Gareth Halfacree

I appreciate that, and I accept your apology. With that, I'm happy to forget it ever happened.