1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other IE/Firefox/Safari/Chrome. Which do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jsheff, 17 Dec 2009.

1. TempGong

TempGong What's a Dremel?

I use Safari on my mac mini only because it's native and does the job done the way I want it to. However, some times I get really frustrated because I find it lacking on hot keys and other stuff that the (full bloated) firefox handles like a piece of case. Firefox was/will never be a good option for mac users and Chrome is useless because it uses the same engine as Safari, Opera, on the other hand, might become some day the best option if it manages to blend more naturally with the OS.

On my archlinux netbook I use firefox (with kde) because of the extra stuff I want on the road as well as home. Although, thats the case because I use the netbook for surfing/music/video only.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I use firefox for the tabs on the bottom (tabmixplus), weather (forecastfox), download status bar (same name), downthemall and xmarks

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I use chrome simply because I don't use add ons. Use to use Firefox but it felt too busy. Chrome is very simple. IE wasn't bad, liked the multi coloured tabs but every now and again it would crash on me. It felt slower than the others too. Only problem I have with chrome is that some advert on this site causes it produce an error message. Simple click it goes away tho and life continues.

4. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

But it IS broken.

OK not really broken, but it is slow to open, slow to use, is the browser that is targetted most by hackers.

Have you tried Chrome? Once you do, you'll realise IE does NOT load pages instantly. It also does not open new tabs instantly. It also does not initially load instantly. Once you have experienced what it is like to actually have new tabs be created instantly, IE becomes unusable.

Anyway, to each their own, sorry if it looks like I'm having a pop at you, I'm not :) Just saying that, yes, IE works, but it's shabby, and a bit second-rate.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

just installed chrome and it loads no faster than my FF, so i don't care for it.

FF for me, stuck in my ways!

6. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Chrome. Because, although the latest Opera Beta might be faster, I want a small, fast browser that serves one purpose. I want email? I have Thunderbird for that, and love it. Firefox was good, but the problem was that it really did get bogged down every so often. It still is a great browser, but the extra speed of Chrome in all respects is what gains my respect.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I use Chrome as its faster at loading the pages on the sites I use. Also I like the home page where it saves all your previous/most visited pages, which makes it easier for loading multiple web pages.

Simon

8. Dragnoer

Dragnoer Is a nice person... really

Firefox because I like my addons, and out of force of habit,

I use Chrome on occasion, especially on computers that are not mine and don't have FF already. Chrome installs and dowloads a bit faster.

I avoid IE like the plague, the last version I used for more than a installing FF was Ver 5.0

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Opera - because it's faster and better than all of those.

10. livesabitch

livesabitch life is what you make it!

Chrome for me! Speed!

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I am still a great fan of Firefox, its does things the way I like, opening things in new tabs is a lot more reliable than Chrome*, extensions - I know Chrome has them too, but there are some that they don't have. Multilinks (draw a box rounds links and it opens them), Distrust (like Incognito but you don't have to open a new window),Close and Foget (open a tab that you don't want in your history? click the button. No need to remove and entire day's history) and Chatzilla.

I do use Chrome for Wave though - its much faster - and on my old laptop - uses less resources. Not that Wave helps, it has been known to use 600MB of the laptop's 768MB in one go!

*I often fine that ctrl-click opens a new tab like its supposed to, and then the current tab loads the new page too! infuriating.

12. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

For me its FireFox and IE, I like compatibility with MS products (CRM, Sharepoint etc) but thats a product of my job.

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I use FF because it has a lot of plugins, visual theme etc etc and for TabMix + I can put my Tab at the bottom

14. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

This should have a poll. Anyway, I've been using chrome since it first came out on PC, absolutely love everything about it, the minimal interface, my quicker loading and rendering, and now it's on linux as well I've completely abandoned firefox.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have recently made FF and Opera equally used browsers on my MacBook. As well as finding more usage for Safari:
    CSS3. 'nuff said. i prefer Opera, but there's no CSS3 support (besides RGBA colours) that i could find yet. FF has more options, and Safari has some more.

16. gizmocat2009

gizmocat2009 What's a Dremel?

security concerns with chrome

I don’t quite understand why Chrome is gaining so much popularity as a browser for all sorts of surfing, including online trading etc. We all know that Google stores all our information regarding search queries and mails. I personally would not trust Google Chrome for the purpose of secure surfing. IE 8, on the other hand, is far more trustworthy when it comes to that sorta stuff online.

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Firefox purely for the number of addons and customisability.

18. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

It depends whether you let paranoia, rumour and unsubstantiated gossip rule your decision making. I don't, and judging by the fact that Chrome seems to be pretty popular these days, nor do most people. I would much rather have a fast, ultrasecure browser, which is Chrome, than shitty IE - which is a slow hackfest.

19. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

If you're going down that road, your ISP has more information about your surfing habits than Google does.

20. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Chrome for just about everything.
    Firefox for the odd website that chrome has problems with

Firefox at work due to flashblock/adblock.

IE will get a look in if i click it by accident or the missus uses the pc