1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other IE/Firefox/Safari/Chrome. Which do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jsheff, 17 Dec 2009.

1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Chrome works for me, I managed to live without addons etc.
    It seems faster... clean.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Firefox. I likes me some NoScript and mouse gestures and other assorted addons and customizations.

Absolutely refure to use Chrome. Why? The advertisements. I hate the 'modern' white background and solid colors BS that almost everyone is guilty of lately, and the whole 'it makes my social network-centric life so easy! Updating my friends with every tiny useless detail of my life has never been so fun' bit. Almost didn't get Win7 because of the whole "Windows 7... it's happy!" ads. Every time I buy a product like that I just think how their marketing department must thing their ads worked and start cranking more out.

3. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=adblock

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=theme

And I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about regarding the whole "social network-centric" stuff......

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Watch some videos on Hulu, they have periodic ads for it. You get to choose sometimes between three different ads, actually. One about speed (which I can admit is a plus) one about being pretty (nice, but the way they portray it bothers me) and then another one about how you have access to Google's vast social capabilities.

edit: Speed, Style, and Simplicity I believe. Simplicity being the trouble one.

5. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

From this comment I'm speculating that you've never used Chrome?

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I too am confused. You didn't try something free because you're afraid that your use will contribute to it's success, and therefore other companies will start to make advertisements in the same style as that which originally advertised the product, even though you've never tried the product and have no idea whether it's any good? Would the enormous amount of truly horrible Scuderia Ferrari adverts and merchandise stop you trying a free Ferrari?

Anyway, tough luck. Chrome's already a big success so if the advertisers can claim credit for it, then you're going to see more like them...

7. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

Give me Opera anyday, with it's left side tab bar and visual thumbnails. I also like the 25 page speed-dial.

8. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Firefox for all general browsing, and I like the fact that you can effectively turn your history into your bookmarks with the yellow stars if you like.

Opera for Internet Banking and other stuff where I'd want a browser whose flaws were picked up and patched more quickly than IE's once a month unless governments protest.

To be fair to MS, I didn't realise they'd added a 64-Bit version of IE to the no-frills entry in System tools, when running Vista or 7-64. I only ever used IE for Youtube links so if I ever came across an IE-preferential site, then I'd use the 64-Bit version and will make that the shortcut on my Mum's laptop as well, since she won't use other browsers without coaching that's the best I can do on her PC.

Safari was all right, then I saw the last version of it for Windows was a 50Meg install - too large, so that's out now. It is a good browser, maybe I'll give it another chance some other time, but I was looking to cull 50Gigs of stuff before putting Win7 on here and every little helped.

So I like where we are now, you have real choice out there so I'm not into bashing MS too heavily - stuck with IE6 for a long time when Opera still had its ad bar across the top, for example.