1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other IE/Firefox/Safari/Chrome. Which do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jsheff, 17 Dec 2009.

1. seofu

seofu What's a Dremel?

For a while I was using safari and chrome, now I am back to firefox, FF was very slow, so I did a research on google , installed some plugins, now, my ff browser is very fast.

2. Zalophus

Zalophus What's a Dremel?

FF-
    Tried Chrome and found it offered no improvement, and in one case was actually slower, taking
    two steps to log off web mail vs one in FF.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I'm a massive fan of Firefox, and the recent update with personas (which are great) is a welcome one. However, I have a netbook and a main rig, and the netbook struggles with Firefox slightly, as such I tried Chrome for the first time today and it's brilliant! It's so much smoother than Firefox and gives my poor little Atom processor some breathing room plus the interface is just what I want; the lack of a bottom border and the barebones interface mean that it frees up valuable space on the small screen.
    I'm looking forward to Google's new OS more than ever now.

By the way, I have a strong hatred of IE after it grew perpetually slower and its interface became ever more outdated. New one's not much better either imo >:|

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Firefox usually as it's the one I started using after IE. Also it has adblock, without which I couldn't live.

Chrome being my secondary choice as it's very fast and the incognito mode works well (separate tabs, unlike FF). Some of the sites don't work with Chrome so I can't use it as my primary weapon of choice.

5. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I use opera at home, it does everything I want it to, fast, I never got into the whole add-ons doodah. At work FF.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I used to find firefox slow but the latest one is very good.

I switch between chrome and firefox, just got a funky new theme for chrome.

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Exactly... VERY GOOD POST!!

If your smart and intelligent,you can make ANY BROWSER secure.

I also use IE and i love it.. (I use MyIE2 as my browser which uses the IE engine)

8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Dear Dude111,

Could you do us a favour? Call Microsoft, ask to be hired, tell them you're smart and intelligent, and make IE secure?
    Sincerely yours,

- the German Government, the French Government, the Australian Government, me

PS: Why should the user be the one having to make the browser secure?

pimonserry likes this.
  9. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Microsoft loves sheep like you, stick with the default one that comes with windows and don't let anyone else in on the market.

'Other companies are evil they want to eat your children, microsoft loves you'.

Why would i want to find and fix vunerabilities in a browser ? If i had that skill i would be doing it for a living.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2010
  10. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Yes you can make any browser secure, oh wait except for the last 3 critical vulnerabilities in IE which all required zero interaction from the user apart from clicking on a link and could not be disabled without crippling the display of webpages.

On a different note, the one and only thing left that was pissing me off about Chrome is almost fixed, full granular control of elements of a page is almost here.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=16932

11. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Opera because ive been using it for longer than firefox has been around, and from a feature standpoint, opera was the first to bring tabbed browsing (and now they have visual tabs) and i love speed dial.

Not going to say much more because firefox biggots banned me from a forum back in 2006 for suggesting that opera could be a better browser than firefox ._. (which to my mind back then it certainly was from a speed point of view at the very least, right now i have no idea because i havent kept up with whats happened to firefox)

12. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Firefox with Xmarks and Adblock Plus installed.

I have been using Chrome lately, but I'll be heading back to firefox soon.

13. MugenUK

MugenUK What's a Dremel?

I use firefox, any time I try another browser I always regret it.

14. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

I've been a fan of FF for a long time and tbh its soo slow compared to dare i say IE. I must say that on my laptop and PC i have Chrome, FF, Opera, IE & Safari some times i just get the urge to use opera :lol:. But seriously Chrome is wicked fast!

15. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

I used to use IE 6 or 7. Then i began to dislike it little by little. It didnt let me open a no. of tabs also.
    Then used Firefox because it lets u block pictures and videos, which was very helpful to me at times. And it had the possibility to open a no. of tabs.

But now i mostly use IE 8. Its simple for me and didnt have a problem with it.

16. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

this thread needs a poll...

I use Firefox and occasionally Safari.

17. Jambo72

Jambo72 Playstuff.net

Chrome. Its simple, clutter free and so, so fast

18. ac4155

ac4155 What's a Dremel?

I use Chrome because its simple, has extensions, mainly the google extensions such as gmail and reader, and is also fast. Plus I like the speed dial new tab page, the bookmark manager and fact it does not have the bar at the bottom of the window meaning it is less cluttered.

Every so often I also use safari, opera and firefox but not so much.

opera has good customisation but other than that i find chrome better.

firefox has the extensions but I still prefer chrome.

and safari is good and has the speed dial but i like the simpler chrome version of it.

I used to have internet explorer and used it since 6 then left at 8 as soon as chrome beta came out. never looked back, its too cluttered, too slow and is too bogged down with its features.

AC

19. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Firefox mainly but Epiphany on my netbook as FF is a bit of a resource hog these days.

Really impressed with Chrome and tbh the new IE isn't that bad. It's the default browser at uni (though FF is an option and I'm never without FF portable anyway) but I usually just use IE. Maybe it would be different if it were my pc.

20. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

Firefox for now.

In the future, Chromium. I know it has extensions now, but on linux, Chromium apparently doesn't look at system font settings so the font rendering is terrible.

And in the distant future maybe uzbl, if I can stand the minimalism and learning curve.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2010