1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Make your own USB LCD controller!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ch424, 23 Jun 2006.

1. Mikkel

Mikkel What's a Dremel?

Is it hard to modify the code for more general purpose inputs instead of outputs?

Can I have the source code? mikkel324[at]gmail.com

2. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

Man, ive been asking and asking about this and finally i may be able to achieve something. i am about to try this out! wish em luck ill keep you update!

Very nice job !

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Mikkel, yes it is possible, and I've sent you an email, good luck!

kylelnsn, good luck! Post pics asap!

Thanks guys

ch424

4. kylelnsn

Well took the first step today, got compnents, well ordered them! and now i need the pcb? i would like about 5-10 pcb boards made up anyone willing? payment through paypal! Thanks ch424 for a class mod, i will keep you updated! i may even write a picture guide to making it! look foward to hearing from yall

Kyle

5. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking about getting some boards made, but wanted to touch base with CH424 and see if he'd be willing to send me the Eagle .brd and .sch files. Of course, if you're looking at selling them, I would think some kind of "token" should be offered to CH424 for all of his hard work :D (I know I would be more than happy to offer him a portion of any money I got from them).

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Guys, I'm afraid I can't sell bulk PCBs, as I have to make them at school, but you're welcome to make+sell them yourself... pay me whatever you feel fair... $1 per board?

One~Zero, I'm afraid I didn't use Eagle; I used Proteus Ares+Isis. I can send you some high-res bitmaps/pngs of it though? The parts are pretty standard, so you could always remake it in Eagle yourself....

7. kylelnsn

i need a BOARD please help i need 5 -15

8. One~Zero

CH4242,

Thanks. I should be able to see the layout alright with the board pic you did post earlier, but if you want to send some hi-res ones, that's fine too. I'll get to work on the board design in Eagle and hopefully have something ready this weekend.

Kylelnsn,
    I'll let you know once I'm done with the design. Getting them made takes a little while though, so it's not something that will happen "real quick".

9. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Guys,

good to see that quite a few people are using this now, I have been using mine for a while now and find it to be very reliable and handy.

It seems that there are a few people out there with the source code now. Im not sure how Ch424 feels but i would love to see any modifications posted back on this forum.

Also has anyone tried the code i recompiled for the 18f4550?
    just wondering if it works ok/

As for eagle files , please if you have designed the MB in eagle i would love a copy.
    Also i copy of the board with the I/O on it would be handy as well

I thinlking about redesigning the MB to fit behind a 5.25 Drive bay with a 2x16 LCD that i have. It would make it easier if someone has the eagle files as im not real good with eagle but i can make minor changes etc.

Also i would love to see other working examples .

Scorpia

Last edited: 6 Jan 2007
  10. kylelnsn

Sounds gd zero? im goign to try and get some money, then build a ghetto board myself? may work may nt, please keep me updated! and can you pm me whne u made some boards? thansk mate

11. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Scorpia, I think One~Zero is working on Eagle files at the moment... and I'd welcome any contributions to the thread... keep them coming!

ch424

12. One~Zero

I got a "basic" circuit put together with the PIC (minus the contrast, encoder and backlight portions), but not seeing anything. I've used Smartie before, so am familiar with it. It recognizes the PIC as a emulation demo (can't remember the exact words) and shows it as com3 in the system hardware. However, it comes up with a "unable to configure com3 properties" when I try to configure it in Smartie....anybody else encounter this problem?

13. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

what firmware is this?

14. One~Zero

Yours :D

15. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

My first guess is maybe the pic isnt programmed correctly.

But having said that is there anything at all on the LCD?

If it is totally blank this could be a good sign.it might be as simple as adjusting the contrast.
    edit: just read that you need to connect the contrast up. do this or you probably wont see anything.

If there is a row of black squares then the LCD is runnimg but the PIC hasnt sent it any info.

As for talking to the com port, try using hyperterm, you should be able to select the com port and then select any baud rate ( try 56k or 115k ) see if it connects. then jsut try typing to it.

Try some of those things and see what happens.

16. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I'd say what Scorpia said: you'll need the contrast for an LCD, but you shouldn't for your PLED screens - what are you using?

Also, I find that Terminal is much more helpful for debugging than HyperTerm, and it allows scripting!

ch424

17. One~Zero

I'm using the PLED, so "contrast" (pin 3) is just tied to 5v. I'll try it on another PC later to see if it works or not. If not, I'll try the terminal program. Very well could be the PIC too, but since it recognized it when I plugged it in, I figured it loaded the firmware correctly. Will let you guys know how everything goes.....

18. One~Zero

Worked fine on the other PC :D

[​IMG]

19. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Great work,

hhhmmmm those Pled displays look nice. Might have to look into what i can find.

20. kylelnsn

Any news on pcb production? please, or the eagle files and things? please guys?

Tags: