1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Maple's Colossal Problem; CPU whining

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 21 Jun 2012.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

i already got some mx4 i thoguht the coolermaster paste wouldve been decent

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Clean off the Cooler Master stuff from the CPU & heatsink, apply a rice sized amount of MX-4 and spread it all over the CPU with something like a credit card. Reset the push pins on the cooler and then re-seat. If the temps are still high then the pins may be worn and are not applying enough pressure.

3. maple

maple Minimodder

actually the pins are messed up i will send pic

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

:duh: <mythbuster> Well there's your problem! </mythbuster> Don't spend any more money on anything but a new cooler and don't use your PC till the new cooler is fitted, you could do some damage.

5. maple

maple Minimodder

as you can see here i spread the paste, this was actually the P4

[​IMG]

6. maple

maple Minimodder

7. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Not the worst application of TIM I've seen (the whole syringe...) but your better off getting a second opinion, TIM application isn't my forté...

And yeah that cooler is useless now. You can probably try bending it back but I wouldn't trust it.

8. maple

maple Minimodder

above pic shows what i mean with pin being messed up, every intel cooler i tried gives that though

9. maple

maple Minimodder

well how to do it? thats what happened to my tx3 on my G530 but on the tx3 it snapped...

10. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I'd put a bid in on this, it'll be much better than the standard cooler in temps and noise.

maple likes this.
  11. maple

maple Minimodder

thanks will see what it goes for, but surely the stock cooler can cool the c2d at stock speeds

12. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

It will but that broken pin will not hold the cooler against the CPU with enough pressure and will give you the skyrocketing temps that you're experiencing.

Edit: Just noticed the Artic Cooling heatsing uses pushpins also so it may be worth looking at this which has it's own brackets and mounting system

13. maple

maple Minimodder

problem is every intel cooler i try to put on that happens to it

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Have a look at the Thermaltake Contac 21 I posted in my edit, it uses screws and a backplate.

15. maple

maple Minimodder

thank you for your help mate repped

but what is your method/way of getting on the pushpin coolers and does it ever happen to you?

lancer778544 likes this.
  16. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The only pushpin coolers i've used are the custom ones that come with the newer Artic Cooling heatsinks so I can't give you any help there sorry.

Oh, and thanks for the rep :thumb:

17. maple

maple Minimodder

amd coolers are much better to install

18. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I'd like to disagree with you there :p The problem with AMD sockets is the orientation of the mounting bracket with some coolers, case in point, my AMD system with my Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro. Because it mounts using the same holes as the standard bracket, the cooler in my system points up rather than front to back. In your other thread about the Hyper TX3 and the Freezer 7 Pro, if you'd have said it was going on an AMD processor I would have recommended the TX3 without looking at any graphs as it doesn't matter about the socket orientation as it'll mount either way but the Freezer 7 Pro will only mount the same way as the bracket so you may be lucky and have a horizontal bracket or unlucky and have a vertical one. My useless Cooler Master V10 will also mount either way but the less said about that thing the better...

19. maple

maple Minimodder

i meant to install it yes the orientation sucks in a pc i did before the fan was chucking heat at the psu

20. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I've not had a problem with intel socket coolers, but I skipped the whole c2d thing, moved to a laptop and consoles, never really saw the at work either. The newer I series ones though are easy enough, just slowly and patiently is the way I do stuff. I tend to double check everything before I do it, that way I don't make as many mistakes, and trust me I've made my share of mistakes when I've rushed stuff.

I hope I don't sound condescending now as that is not my intention, but I don't know your background and level of experience etc. But is it possible that you have a motherboard mounting post somehow in the wrong place, and that is causing the pin to bend on insertion. Or perhaps you are trying to insert the pins in their locked position. (ie when down rather than up) again don't take this the wrong way, I'm trying to be helpful.