1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Maple's Colossal Problem; CPU whining

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 21 Jun 2012.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

To be fair my post was more generalised confusion :hehe:

Carrie and hamza_tm like this.
  2. maple

maple Minimodder

whats coercion sit, i tried many times aswell as someone else too i give up with these screws its very frustrating

3. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

The screws are indeed those pictured, they come from coolermaster themselves and were never used

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Basically lots of pressure to force the screw in.

5. maple

maple Minimodder

tried that, they just wont budge in more than slightly in

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Use a drill, it can apply much more force than you can. By drill I mean with a screwdriver like bit, not a standard "make a hole" bit :lol:

Shirty likes this.
  7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Do they stop even with the most amount of force you use? Or does the screwdriver slide out?

A) you may have rounded the screw head off.
    B) your screwdriver might not be the best fit for the screw head.

They are total buggers to fit sometimes i know, but they are the correct ones and they do fit. They just need a lot of persuasion.

They need enough pressure and force so that they chew away some of the plastic when screwing in (self tapping).

Try another screw that you havnt tried yet and try a different screw driver.

8. maple

maple Minimodder

hmm will give it another go buts its well frustrating

9. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

I fit some CM fans to my case, the screws self tap. They literally need to be screwed hard enough (there's a joke in there somewhere) that they chew into the plastic and drive themselves in.

10. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Maple, if I'm installing new fans I like to cut a thread into the holes before trying to mount the fan. You can push the screw harder so it starts to cut easier if the fan is outside the case, just make sure you don't push so hard that you snap a corner off :)

Oh, and make sure you cut a thread in right holes, you don't want to have to cut another 4 threads in the other holes :hehe: Most fans should have arrows on them showing the direction of the airflow and generally, if the fan is going in the front or side of the case you'd want the fan blowing in and if the fan is going at the back or top of the case you'd want the fan blowing out :)

Last edited: 26 Jun 2012
  11. maple

maple Minimodder

thank you for your help, put wd40 on them and after a tight squeeze finally got them in

*New Problem*

Now that they are in, ( i put them in my 'beast pc' to try them) and before putting them in my pc was silent now its really really noisy, is there any way i can lower fan speed, i checked in the bios but there is nowhere i can lower case fan speeds, and is there anyway i can turn of the blue leds?

12. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Some motherboards will allow fan control, usually under the "PC Health Status" sub-menu or something like that. If your motherboard hasn't got that facility (i'll check the ASRock board now) you can always buy a fan controller and control them manually. Add it to your wanted list and you may get lucky :)

With regards to the LEDs, no but if you want to disable them permanently you can cut and insulate the wires to them. Again, put up a wanted post, someone might be willing to do a swap for some non-led fans.

Edit: Just looked and the ASRock motherboard can only control the CPU fan. I also remembered about voltage reducing cables for fans which should quieten them down a bit. You can pick 5 of them up for £2.37 here.

13. maple

maple Minimodder

at the moment fans are in my beast pc with asus board and theres no way of changing the fan speed, i dont want to perma disable leds, i like them but just not all the time, wont the light run out one day or something

okay will put a fan controller in wanted thread

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Have a look at my edit about the voltage reducing cables too, Maple. They may work out cheaper than a fan controller :)

15. maple

maple Minimodder

thank you, so do they just supply the fans with less voltage which in turn makes it spin slower?

16. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Correct. Its normally around 7 volts which will make a difference from the full 12v they would normally get.

17. maple

maple Minimodder

*New Problem*

I turned on my pc today and no picture and got worried thinking my 4850 which i just got from here recently, i restarted it and same problem so i changed the cable instead of using dvi to VGA i put in dvi to hdmi and it works but as i said before with dvi to hdmi the picture is so blurry and crappy so i used the vga but now it wont let me use the vga since its just black screen

18. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

Got your PM Maple but been away all weeked. Not sure about the answer to this but one of the wiser ones may be able to answer it.

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

No it won't

(not for a pretty looooooooooooooooooooong time)

20. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Just try DVI/HDMI cable again and fix up your settings until the picture is OK