Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Is that wireless mod likely to work with a Quickfire Rapid?

edit - the reason I ask

Best price I've seen for Rapids in a while.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've got a lovely Trust USB board here matey, I reckon it'll be in your price range. It flexes about 30 degrees when you twist it, but it outputs alphanumeric codes into your computer which is all you can ask of a $3 keyboard.

It has to be a Brio:

[​IMG]

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I'm not too sure, I would of thought maybe it does. From my understanding of it - it's a new pcb and controller, so it needs a plate and a case, which might work from a QFR. I've not watched the videos properly though so I don't really know!

I do think it's quite hard to put together though.

you spend $ now and not £? You are a full keyboardian haha.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nah, if you can't get 45 degrees out of it, it's not a genuine Trust board. Don't try and palm that cheap sh!t off on me.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

And why wouldn't you like Filcos lol. Drop me a message sometime bro and we might well be able to sort something out ;)

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I know it's probably not going to be that simple.. But which companies tend to have the replaceable keycaps? Apparently Corsair use a weird size, so you can't just swap colours etc.. So that's put me off their MKs a lot.

7. GeorgeK

Varies a lot really - all companies make some boards with odd sized keycaps tbh... You'd need to be more specific than which company.

8. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I'd previously just assumed that there was a set standard key size.. But i've learnt that's far from the truth! Is it more a case of get a keyboard you like then hope that something comes along that can fit on it?

9. GeorgeK

If you ask here before you buy we can tell you if what you're looking at has standard sized caps. What sort of thing were you after?

10. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I'm looking for a 66%-tkl.. I'm currently using one of these untill I get paid and can afford a MK:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/qwerty-qk-188-micro-black-usb-chiclet-style-keyboard

The lack of Del key is driving me mad, although I love the compactness of it.. I dont think I could ever go back to something as big as a G15!

I could stretch the budget to about £150 (but that'd be inc postage/shipping) so it's a bit tight for a lot of boards.. And i'm not that fussed about ANSI/ISO.

Also, i've managed to find out that one of my work's IT guys has a MK with Browns, and it's great to type on! (Contrary to what I thought when I borrowed Shirty's switches!) So I'd be looking for Browns/Reds..

I loved the look of the Corsair RGBs as I could set orange backlighting, but there's no talk of the TKL version.. Ideally i'd like to switch out some of the caps with Orange keys to match my build!

11. Margo Baggins

Orange is the best one!

[​IMG]

You can borrow that exact keyboard if you want. it's browns, with some orange caps to boot. only thing is it's hard modded to swap left control with caps lock. Up to you, you can borrow it for a couple of weeks/until you get your board if you want.

12. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Oooh.. It's a beauty! :D Does it have arrows though? (Looks like a numpad TKL, but i've seen some with a fn button to make them into arrows/del etc)

13. Margo Baggins

The way it is at the moment, the 4 arrows are illuminated on the right, that means they are just working as arrows, and above that is the home cluster with del/home/end etc. when you turn numlock on, the block on the right turns into a numpad, and the arrows/home cluster are no more.

It's not really a beauty :p it's a cheap CM board that I use at work hehe. With some REALLY shiny keycaps shined by my hard working fingers.

14. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

That sounds like a great layout for me! And it's cheap you say... :hehe:

EDIT: Just seen one of them with orange caps like I was originally thinking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, if only I could find some of those with the letters done on them (I'm a noob typer! I need my keys..)

Last edited: 4 Jul 2014
  15. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

The owner of this orange / black rig should change the mouse for this Roccat's one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Jul 2014
  16. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Just out of interest.. Does anyone know how LED backlit keyboards have the LED's put on? I'd LOVE to have orange backlighting.. But I dont think that'll be happening as I haven't seen any which have orange LEDs. :duh: Well, apart from the RGB ones!

17. Margo Baggins

What do you mean?

they go through the switch and get soldered onto the PCB. You can in theory have whatever LEDs you want, because you can just unsolder whatever ones are on there and replace with whatever colour you want. Bright components sell the 2x3x4 orange LEDs on ebay and they are £1 per 10, those are the ones you want and they have about the same forward voltage as a red LED, I probably wouldn't buy a board with white/blue/green LED and change them to orange because that will overdrive the orange LEDs a bit, but I would happily swap red to orange.

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

The KBT pure comes with Orange LEDs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Margo Baggins

So does my poker 2 :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

And of course Cooler Master only has the red backlighting with Reds, not Browns! :rolleyes: I may just have to go and switch some things around on an existing layout.. There goes my savings again! :hehe: At least the LEDs are cheap..