Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Thanks KidMod! I am sure they would love you too :p

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

You can buy some DayDream LED covers. They are made for Cherry MX switch with WHITE BACKLIGHT and can be bought here (for example):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DayDream-Cover-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlit/dp/B00KKW1ZG6

http://www.banggood.com/DayDream-LE...chanical-Keyboard-White-Backlit-p-925839.html

Choose the a color among the available ones (orange is one of them), they are sold in pck of 10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'll bet they diffuse the light more evenly too - that could spell the end for coloured LEDs.

4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

@Alekoy, are you making your own custom keyboards?

@ GuilleAcoustic, :jawdrop: I'm sold! Once I'm back from holidays.. Hello Ducky! :D I could even change the colour schemes if I get bored and not have to revert to dodgy backlit Corsair KBs.. :clap:

I'm guessing there's different keycap sets available for Ducky KBs, as they seem to be more of an enthusiast KB on some forums.. Would I be right on that?

5. GuilleAcoustic

If you want different colors, they also make assortment for 87 and 108 keyx keyboards. Just google for DayDream LED cover: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DayDream-Co...1404818947&sr=1-3&keywords=daydream+led+cover

For £13.78 you'll have:
    • 20 x Peach red
    • 20 x Orange
    • 20 x Yellow
    • 20 x Green
    • 20 x Blue
    • 10 x Purple
    • 10 X Pink

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

smartimports.net have started selling replacement HHKB keycap sets (because I asked them to start stocking them :lol:) and for less than EK - $60 + shipping for a full set.

I'm going to be ordering some - if anyone else wants some for their HHKB let me know and we can combine on postage :thumb:

GK

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got a TypeMatrix 2030 on the way, 'cos my knuckle is still giving me trouble. Figured it was worth mentioning in 'ere, 'cos it's technically mechanical - although it's membrane, it's scissor-action. Quite a departure from my usual board, so it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference.

8. GuilleAcoustic

Please drop a word or a PM when you have your hands on it. I'm suffering the same (11 hours of coding a day doesn't help), I'm very interested in your "review".

Great thing, the Typematrix is available with the Bépo layout. I'm also considering an Ergodox or a Maltron keyboard, but the price is quite high.

9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Do let us know how well you get on with that! I had one for a brief spell but I really couldn't adjust to it.

Yayyy another duckmini ALPS! My duckmini has montary blue switches in it. Though, it's in a hammer case and not the orignal duck case. are your caps off an SGI granite board? Annoyingly, I don't have a complete set for mine, it's got a mismatch of alps caps on it, looks alright, most annoylingly my 7x alps space bar (the only one I have) is quite bent out of shape! there is an SGI board available locally but it's £50, which I think is a bit expensive for the board, especially as I only want the caps off it.

Standard sets? or anything fun?

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I shall post back with the results. I'm a bit suspicious of the 'benefits' of a straight-edged matrix layout, but we'll see.
    I tried a Maltron; absolutely godawful. Not just because it's such a different layout, but because the build quality is atrocious. The vacuum-formed plastic chassis is nasty, the keycaps horrid, and the switches mushy. Plus, the keys themselves were arranged all higgledy-piggledy - clearly assembled by hand with no great care. Certainly not worth the cash!

Incidentally, the TypeMatrix is cheapest direct from the US. KeyboardCo wanted nearly £170 including VAT, while buying it direct cost just £85 (which will likely bump up to ~£110 by the time it's passed through customs) and came with a free silicon overlay printed with UK layout. I've just realised, mind, I should have paid extra and got a Dvorak overlay too - you can switch between the two layouts in hardware with a function key. Bah!

11. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Kits and custom :)

@Margo Baggins, How do you like the switches, I like the clickys, but they are a bit noisy :p

12. Margo Baggins

very noisy! I have, for some reason, loads of alps or alps clones that I could put on it though, I have some salmon clones, blacks, blues, and something else on a board that I can't remember. Though, I never have the time to do anything to my keyboards, due to moving house etc. I have built up a monumental back log of builds I need to do for customers.

Gareth - can you touch type Dvorak? I half learned colemac, but I am far from being able to touch type it. still need a little cheat sheet and about 5 minutes to adjust!

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

14. Gareth Halfacree

I've never tried. Tempted by claims of 50 per cent less finger travel, though - although I can see my productivity just plummeting during the learning period, so I'll have to schedule it when I don't have too many deadlines due!

15. Margo Baggins

Can you get me a blank set please? blank black set, just lemme know how much etc. when you know and i'll send it over.

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I can have a keyboard available for test in Yeovil on occasion (my folks live near there). Hit me up if you want - I'm away at the moment though...

17. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks for the advise, that'll save quite a big amount of cash.

Does anyone here have an experience with Matias ALPS switches ? They seem pretty cheap ($50 for 200e from Matias). Dell AT-101 are cheap an can be keycaps salvaged to dress those ALPS switches. Are they worth (still thinking about a DIY keyboard) ?

18. Margo Baggins

Yes on all accounts - the matias switches are nice, I quite like them, I prefer the older alps clicky switches. Though, if you get a Dell AT-101 you will bag a load of black switches, which, are not clicky, but they are very far from silent. The dell caps will fit on the matias switches just fine.

Just buy the Dell to start with ,and if you don't like the black switches get some matias switches.

19. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

Hi

Might be of interest to some reading this thread:

£69.98 - QPAD MK-80 Pro Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Red
    Also Cherry MX Brown

http://www.ebuyer.com/546110-qpad-m...aming-keyboard-cherry-mx-red-3200-mk80-uk-red

Found it on Hot UK deals, not sure if it's already been posted here. I've never had a mechanical keyboard, and can't really remember typing on the old ones. This deal seemed tempting, but can't really get my head around spending this much on a keyboard. People that have mechanical keyboards seem to swear by them though. What's the verdict on the MX-80??

20. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Never had one myself yet either.. But after borrowing one from an IT guy at work for 30mins and going back to the cheapie membrane ones, i've never wanted one more! :D And at that price (as long as the reviews say it's decent quality) why not go for it!