1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

No wireless mechanical with pointing interface exist yet for consumer market. Only 2 wireless mechanical keyboards exist as it is. One of them was only released recently, the Neo Zelia I posted about above.
    I suggest a Cherry g80-11900, or compaq 11800 and a long cable to use from the sofa. You can get them for cheap often on ebay, less than $35 and sometimes even new at that price.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  2. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

So what's a good keyboard with a UK layout? All the other keyboards I use are that layout so it would be a pain to have anything else.

3. IvanIvanovich

Filco, Das, Mionix, Cherry g80, Zowie Celeritas, Razer BW, and qpad MK all available as ISO UK. I listed them in basic quality from best to worst.
    ANSI gives you many more options though. It's not really that big of a deal to use different layout. I prefer ANSI, but have ISO too, and switch back and forth.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Have used ISO all my life until I got this Ducky keyboard in ANSI, hasn't taken long for me to get used to it, really not that bad :)
    And crompers also looking forward to hearing your thoughts, may have the option of picking a filco up possibly to replace my ducky, not sure if I can be bothered though.

Picked up a noppoo choc mini white last night, think it will be for the family (brother) since having used mine over christmas he really likes them, has brown switches, so hopefully the feel won't be too far away from what he has tried with my blues, but without as much noise, which is good since my mum is such a light sleeper.
    Also eyeing up a ghetto red poker, but just not sure how much I'd use more than one keyboard, and whether I'd only ever switch to make sure I was getting value for money :p

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

OK so i'm typing this on my filco!

First of all if anyone tries to tell you brown switches are "silent" slap them in the face, they are in no way silent! (although i am quite heavy handed and tend to bottom out on every stroke).

The fit and finish of this thing is awesome, its absolutely built like a tank. No flex, not one blemish, just matte black goodness (until I put some gaudy keys on it that is). I notice myself typing faster already and the precision in games is awesome, i never realised I had any problem with a scissor board but apparently i did! I'm finding the lack of ten keys a bit weird to get used to, just because of the shape of the board and the way i used to rest my hand when using the End or Delete keys i think.

That's another thing, I cant get used to how small this thing looks on my desk, its tiny!

pics (taken on a phone unfortunately)

[​IMG]

Next to my mionix 3200 to give an idea of size

[​IMG]

Lovely logo :)

6. GeorgeStorm

They are pretty much silent :p
    The white choc mini today for the family (brother) since he's grown to rather like mine while I've been home over christmas arrived today.
    Has brown switches, and it's far quieter than my blues, although that's also partially to do with the fact the noppoo has slightly higher quality keycaps, giving it a slightly lower tone compare to my cheapo orange ones :p
    Glad to you like, and you'll get used to the TKL format in no time, I don't notice it now, and infact I think full size keyboards just look too big :p

7. [PUNK] crompers

What did the five fingers say to the face?

*SLAP* ;)

i had a logitech scissor kb before this one and this sounds like a typewriter in comparison (yes i have taken the caps off to make sure its browns!)

i do love it though, especially the way i'm noticeably better at BF3 with this board (though still rubbish)

one thing that is a slight disappointment, i had read that this board came with the optional red esc key but alas it did not. Not really a problem when i'll be getting a keyset soon but would have been nice to have the choice

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
  8. IvanIvanovich

It's loud because you are typing too hard. Press the switch slow and make an effort to feel the bump. When you feel the bump, you stop pressing as they stroke is registered. No reason to keep pushing. Don't bottom the keys, it will increase your typing speed a lot, and reduce the noise a great deal.

Yes TKL is a little smaller, but when I use my Leopold, I am like what is with this giant keyboard. When i use a fullsize I am like, why is it the size of a desk? I get too used to my Poker. TKL and mini is way nicer for gaming though. Lets you have the mouse closer and more comfortable arms position.

9. [PUNK] crompers

I understand that, I've spent some time on geekhack too. At the moment thats how I type though and I'm not going to think too much about whether I'm bottoming out or not tbh. I'm sure it'll be second nature to not bottom out eventually

10. IvanIvanovich

True, if you have to be thinking hard about it, you will be typing at half speed. I had the opposite problem, where I always didn't type hard enough to register the keypress. MX red solved me that problem, I do ok on brown too since it is almost the same force.

11. [PUNK] crompers

interesting to know about browns vs reds, what other switches have you tried? i was intrigued by blacks but worried they'd be a pain for typing

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

EDIT: ninja'd

Learning not to press down all of the way when typing will slowly come to you (I'm still learning) but another option is to buy dampers for your keys, little rubber o-rings to fit onto the keycaps at the spot where they hit bottom. It helps dampen the noise and feel when bottoming out. I like having them because I game a lot and am constantly bottoming out critical keys.

13. IvanIvanovich

I own all 5 common MX switch. I have red, brown, blue, clear and black. For me as a light touch I find blacks fatiguing. Clears are too, but don't seem so bad to me even though they use the same springs as black. Blues are sort of in between. I don't get fatigue, but miss more keystrokes on them.
    I had black as my first MX, and they seemed lighter than all of the domes I was used to previously. However now that I am used to red as my primary switch the heavier ones just seem unnecessary to me. I hardly ever use them. I probably should just sell on those keyboards.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
  14. [PUNK] crompers

Yeah might give O-rings a try, will see how I go. I plan on ordering a set of keys from WASD at some point and I think you can have them fitted, obviously not hard to do yourself but may as well.

Just trying not bottoming out now and although I'm having to go slower can see what you mean, shouldn't take too long to master while typing, but gaming i'd definitely have trouble.

Topre next for you then?

As I thought, most people seem to find the blacks too hard for typing. Clears and reds are pretty much impossible if you want a filco, tempted by a KBT Race with reds though (oh god it starts)

15. IvanIvanovich

Lol. You must collect them all.
    If I was wealthier perhaps I would buy a Topre, but $120 keyboards is enough of a stretch, let alone $300+ ones.
    Clears are impossible on Filco as they have never made keyboard with them, but no problem on Leopold. Reds are pretty difficult on Filco as they only did a short run of them last year. Once again easy on other brands. CM Storm is best next choice. Made in same oem as Filco, same almost everything with tons of logos all over it though.
    Race looks pretty, especially the all white one with white backlight. Too bad the layout, It's not for me. I didn't like the choc for the layout either. Keys right of enter with no space between trips me up. I can deal with a lot of non standard layout, but not that for some reason.
    Which is really funny, I am complaing about this, and black switch and I bought an odd keyboard that has both 'faults' on a whim this week.
    Price was too good, at only 7.50gbp and has cool keycaps.

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

So do I buy the KBC poker for home gaming and casual typing or the Filco ninja tenkeyless?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

17. IvanIvanovich

If you DON'T play SC2 / other rts and rpg that use the fkeys a ton, I say go with the Poker.

18. [PUNK] crompers

depends what you are willing to spend really, i'd had a tax rebate and some xmas money so luckily was in the position to buy a filco, I've heard great things about the poker though, lots of people seem to have them and be happy with them.

19. GeorgeStorm

If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks, I may have one up for sale depending whether I like it or not :p

20. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

awesome keyboard :thumb:

i regret not buying a tenkeyless :wallbash: