1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

^ Same here, wouldn't mind one which has backlit keys too. I'm thinking of the Filco tenkeyless one though, I like the small footprint it has.

Looking around I don't think there's any tenkeyless mechanical keyboards which have backlit keys, right? Or am I looking in the wrong places :(

2. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Have a sniff about the GeekHack website, theres some real clued up keboard gurus on there, if there is any tenkeyless mechanical with backlighting those gurus will know about it.

3. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Unicomp bought out a lot of the old IBM tooling equipment that IBM used for manufacturing their keyboards so there is a link back to the old model M's really. I had considered importing a few of the Unicomps into the UK but in the end bought a batch of IBM Model M's, renovated all of them, sold most and kept the best 2. They are stuck in the loft nowadays as I prefer the Filco UK 105 keyboard.

Itchy

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Last edited: 6 Jan 2012
  5. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

thanks for the advice guys

is there 0 difference between tenkeyless and non-tenkeyless, apart from the missing number pad?

also, i do a mix between gaming and typing. would cherry browns suit me best?

one other thing, has anyone here used the ninja version? where the lettering is on the bottom of the keys not the top? it looks cooler but i dont know if it would make it harder to type on (obviously being used to them being on top for so long)

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

There is no backlit tenkeyless yet. Ducky shine is probably the best backlit available presently. Race and Pure may be good alternatives if looking for something smaller, choose the best layout for you.
    Browns are generally considered the safest choice for first MX switch keyboard. They are a very middle of the road switch. Not quite linear, not too tactile and a lighter force level.
    Only you would know if the legends on top of keys is necessary. Do you still need to look to be able to type?

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Before diving into the depths of the internet I'll defer to the pool of knowledge developing in this thread:

Anyone know of any tenkeyless boards with MX red switches? I'm strongly considering the Leopold FC200RR/AB since I can get it for $100 shipped but don't want to get too pidgeon-holed into the idea that it's the only option. Filco seems to make one but I can't find it anywhere.

8. IvanIvanovich

Other option MX red, CM Storm Rapid. CM storm about same price, $99. Filco was very limited run. If you find it, likely to be really overprice since so desirable.
    Leopolds are really nice though.
    edit: I forgot there is a new one, Keycool. These are really cheap at around $60. Seems to be a bit of question on quality control, but at these price you can expect some. Seem to be Leopold factory seconds or something.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2012
  9. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

you say there is no backlit tenkeyless, sorry were you implying that the standard IS backlit?

i did not know this. i think that has made me want to get that actually then

10. IvanIvanovich

Standard which? Please be more specific, not sure which keyboard you asking about.

11. Blue Fiend

Blue Fiend What's a Dremel?

Sloth just get the leopard. There the same quality as Filco. However you may want to wait for the new verison of them to come out.

12. GeorgeStorm

j4mi3, if you're asking whether the full size keyboards come backlit as standard then no, they don't, only a couple of models are.
    Not seen the keycool before, looks interesting for a first mech.

In the end, I'd just for the leopold, well worth the monies.

13. IvanIvanovich

New Leopold FC700 not out until spring probably though.

14. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

the standard majestouch

this one.

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=646

thanks for the poster who just informed me that it wasnt.

you said this

but i think you were answering someone else's question i thought it was directed at me

15. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker Minimodder

Yeah, I chanced upon the Unicomp years back while looking for Model Ms. My main gripe would be the matrix configuration. Playing games sometimes activates the Input Method Editor.

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

17. GeorgeStorm

Anyone looking at getting a keyboard, I may be selling my Noppoo Choc Mini with Browns, let me know if you're interested :)

Reason for sale is the purchase of a poker with ghetto reds, and hopefully a TKL Filco with Blues (prefer them to browns, love the noise :p)

And not sure on the keycaps, most of the ones I've seen have been ANSI layout.

18. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I am interested.

How much?

19. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

how much? and how old is it? and i take it perfect condition?

20. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Hmm would it be blasphemous if I were to settle for the Corsair K60? It seems a lot of these keyboards are either aren't sold in a lot of places or have to be bought through a group buy on a keyboard forum :confused:

The Vortex Race that was linked earlier would've been ideal but it looks like that group buy has finished now :(