1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's Windows Blue plans hinted at in job ad

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Feb 2013.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@faugusztin, No im not complaining about the full screen start menu, im saying when you are trying to use one OS for all devices you should be given the choice on how to use that device.
    If they allowed users to disable the FSSM and boot right to the desktop with normal taskbar/start menu it would go a long way.
    And if you a user with any sense a quick search on Google shows you how to boot a windows 7 install from USB3.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

But you can! You can disable the lock screen, set up boot so it goes straight to desktop and add a Start Menu plug-in. Presto: the Win7 experience. It's not even hard.

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Windows 8: the animated evaluation (checkit on YouTube). This is how the average user feels. Microsoft made win8 primarily touch, because that's what everyone is doing. Well in the mobile arena. Have any of you guy's risked sun exposure to see what the general public think? Because they don't like it. Don't worry though, Ballmer only wants to stay at least five more years. Which means he'll either redeem himself or tank the company. I'm not holding my breathe for the previous.

4. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

For guys like us it's not hard, for your average PC world visitor it's something that they would have to pay someone to fix it. I think businesses would just stick with what they have, actually i know they will.

5. Nexxo

The average PC World visitor doesn't care. They're the ones who are delighted with Windows 8.

It's niche users like yourself who are complaining. And you have the least reason to moan because not only have you got the skillz to hack Windows, it is something that you have always done before (if you haven't yet, there's something wrong with you. :p ).

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I couldn't disagree with you more if i tired Nexxo :D
    You only have to look at how normal users get on with 8 from YouTube clips to see how confused and frustrated normal users are with it.

Granted you can hack 8 to be more like 7, but why should users have to do this ?
    How hard would it have been for M$ to let the user choose on the first boot to use the new full screen start menu or the old style taskbar+startmenu.

No instead they decided to remove it totally from the OS :wallbash:, you cant force people into a new way of thinking you have to let them take there own time, and give them a choice.

As they say Rome wasn't built in a day but M$ want to mash together a tablet OS with a desktop one and expect users to instantly like it.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Nah, MS is the company that has the balls to say "**** it guys, this is the way things are going- and people may not like it now but sod them, lets be on the forefront and do it irrespective of if people initially like it".

If you want the old style then go get mods for it :)

I was disappointed when I lost my DOS prompt... im pretty comfortable without it though these days :)

edit: someone who can work out how to put a video on youtube is not the normal computer user ;)

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

No, your wrong. I fix computers for people and do the tech support at work, everyone I've spoken to has been negative about windows8. I've had people that were enthusiastic about win8 only to try it, then ask me what's going on. Windows became the monopoly because they catered for the common man and made it easy. The desktop isn't a tablet and that is what Microsoft failed to realise and work with.

9. Nexxo

Yet at the same time Staples and John Lewis product reviews for the Surface RT are almost invariably full of praise. Obviously you can mash a tablet and desktop OS together.

And these forums and many others are full of people thinking Windows 8 is great. Again, obviously many people (who try it) like it.

Perhaps there is a bit of a halo effect going on. IT reviewers say that Windows 8 is pants, so it must be. OSX is said to be user friendly, so it must be. Google Chrome is a more limited OS than either iOS or Windows RT, but reviewers think it is cool, so it must be. I have tried all of them, in depth, and all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Windows 8 is virtually indistinguishable from Windows 7. Sure, you have a Start Screen instead of a Start Menu, but that's it. You even summon it from the same spot. Everything else is identical. You can still use desktop shortcuts, you still have the same old file explorer and control panel. Charms? You literally never have to use them.

And here's a story of mine: a NHS secretary who spends all her working her days behind a PC once came in and asked where Word was. She couldn't find it --normally she just clicks on the Word documents sent to her. She had to be shown (explanation did not cut it) how to burrow through layers of cascading menus in the Start Menu (yeah, why the IT department just didn't pin Office I'll never know) because she didn't know that Word is in Office is in Programs. On Windows 8 she would have just hit the Windows key and there it would be: Word, in a whopping big tile. Click. Easy.

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Why do people struggle with the Metro / Desktop? As was said earlier in the thread the metro is basically the start button! What are people not able to do as quickly with W8 as they were with W7?

11. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

The shortcuts work the same, search takes a couple of extra clicks as the results are categorised so that you can't see them unless you pick the appropriate category.

It's definitely more awkward from the perspective of supporting non computer literate users because it's different.

My only issue with the OS changes is the division between Metro (or the interface formerly known as Metro) and the desktop is that certain programs behave differently dependent on where they're triggered from, IE10 being a good example. As an App it runs in a cut down mode and ditches certain plug ins (Flash audio being one) but all of them run from the desktop version. As I support web based applications primarily this is becoming something of an issue for me - I'm used to basing diagnosis on which program is in use, not which program and where it was launched from. If this is the direction Microsoft are heading in then it's likely to cause me more work which is something I'm never going to be happy with!

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Word was not pinned, Word shortcut was not in the Desktop, she didnt searched for Word.
    The same "where is Word" can happen with Start Screen (would she even press Windows key to go there?) once the initial screen is filled.

13. Nexxo

Not nearly as likely, as she would be familiar with the Start Screen (you know, it being "forced" on the user). It's the first thing she would see as she boots up in the morning. Scroll right and there's Office. Can't miss it. It's not buried three layers down in cascading menus between lots of other tiny icons and text (and yeah, she did search for if).

My point: in Win8 Word does not need to be pinned; no shortcut needs creating. It's just there, and it's obvious.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    So, since 1995 she didnt learned how to use Start Menu and now she would know how to scroll right?! You are an optimist. :D
    So tiles are not shortcuts now?

15. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Last edited: 20 Feb 2013
  16. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Some people are enthusiastic with their purchases, then realise that they don't quite work as they expected later - post review. Show me a follow up review that is as good or better than the original.

Whatever drugs your on. I WANT. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/indistinguishable or your understanding of the English language needs improving.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

For real ? you seriously believe a company selling a product is going to slate it, they would say anything if it means they sell more.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah, the duality :thumb:

And I'm sure it'a a better way to work on a tablet...just that I'm in an office full of monkeys with typewriters...well, officemachines. No touchytouchy, no lolcats, no youtube, no web , no huge clickytiles.
    Just Word, excel and Powerpoint and backward compatibility please and as little distraction as possible. As little schooling as possible as well, shooling is unproductive and expensive, you know?
    The amount of time and money invested training these people on office 2010, argh!

This, without additional software.

They neglect the "just working" base.

But that's a bit down to us techies and you reviewers as well.
    Everything has to be "socialy web", "cloud based" and "fun". Maybe Win8 is all of this, and for the consumer this is what is wanted (and needed).

19. Nexxo

Are you saying that browsing through a long list of cascading menus with small icons is easier than scrolling right through a single page with big, grouped icons?

They are big shortcuts that are pinned automatically. That's the difference.

Here you go.

OK, besides the Start Screen, which you can largely ignore or replace, and the Charms Bar, which again you can totally ignore, what are the differences then?

These are customer reviews, not company reviews. They are also consistent with the posts on several forums of Surface RT owners praising the device. The only people who criticise it, it seems, have never actually used one.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2013
  20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    How would she even know how to scroll the single page? She seems to not be aware on how to click the Start and click on the Word shortcut on most used programs. Two clicks, same as in Start Screen.
    And she didnt have a shortcut in TaskBar or QuickLaunch or Desktop why? Microsoft didnt put it there? Even so the shortcut its there on "most used".

By the way, where is the "most used" list on the StartScreen? I forgot... :)