1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's Windows Blue plans hinted at in job ad

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Feb 2013.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

If she opened Word by opening documents then does it put Word in the most used programs section? And if it does it assumes it is one of her top 5 or so used programs.

Nope, MS doesn't put shortcuts there. And as stated above there's no reason to assume it would be in 'most used'.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

TBH im not going to spend £400 just to find out what everyone knows (apart from you it seems)
    That Windows 8 is a OS for Tablets and touch devices NOT Desktop users with a mouse and keyboard.

Because M$ decided to shoot them self in the foot by not letting users choose how to use there devices.

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Windows 8 works very well on my desktop with my keyboard and mouse. Perhaps you're just using it wrong? And I'm pretty sure you're free to alter Windows 8 if you wish to use it in a different way; MS haven't stopped you from being to use the old start menu if you choose, they just haven't provided their own option for it.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Of course! Just have to look at your "most used" list.
    Two clicks away, Start and Word. Same as W8 with Start Screen.

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

@nexxo
    sure your not working for ms

every customer apart from the odd 2 (but they was computer competent and found 3rd party app to restore start menu ) win 8 confused the hell out of them and still is partly an issue when they get stuck on an random metro screen even after I have installed startisback

on an touch device its most likely ok to use

6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Enlighten me to what the future of computing is?

I reckon your referring to Microsoft take on it. Who knows what will happen if they keep going with this UI?

I have used it. And im not singing its praises. But then im not a fan of this UI

7. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I don't use Windows 7 and when I did I don't recall any programs like Word ending up in my most used list.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Read the rest of the thread :read:
    It has already been discussed that you can alter the OS, By forcing users into the FSSM its pretty clear M$ has intended Windows 8 for tablet/touch devices

Perhaps you're just using it wrong? Windows 7 be default stores and displays recently opened item/programs in the start menu and/or taskbar.

9. leexgx

norm it does after you have opened it enough times

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

So we agree that you can choose how to use your system and MS aren't preventing you from doing that. And MS have always been clear that Windows 8 was intended for tablet/touch devices as well as desktops.

It probably had more to do with me using other programs more regularly. The point still stands that Impar can't assume someone would have Word in their most-used programs list simply because they open word documents.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@Krazeh, Have you even read what has been discussed already ?

Or would you like me to point out where third party programs and the forcing of a FSSM on users is something average PC users may have problems with.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Then how come so many desktop users are perfectly happy with it?

And still she couldn't find it. Says something about the Start Menu, no?

Sure you're not working for Apple? Or is that a silly question? :p

This is.

Kudo's, you're the first in this thread to have actually tried a Surface RT.

Then again, as I have argued before, they may not. It is all speculation, no?

13. leexgx

there are things with apple I do not like as well (but that tends to be the mouse normally, but that is nit picking )

but with apple you just turn off things you do not like your not forced to use apple market you can just ignore it

I have an unused minimac (needs more ram and new osx installing) all other pcs are win7 and 2 win8 test laptops

14. Nexxo

You can simply turn things off in Win8. You are not forced to use Windows App market on Win8. Same difference.

iOS however...

OSX Lion was lambasted for being messy and confusing, a hotch-potch of previous OSX and iOS. Sounds familiar? And now we have Ubuntu Linux for tablets, with suspiciously Win8-like features and oh, look: a desktop option (for use with keyboard and mouse).

What we're seeing here is a convergence of tablets, desktops and laptops (and mobile phones). Until the hardware market sorts itself out a bit initial OS releases are going to feel a bit Frankenstein, a bit ill-suited to the device that may not have all the input features yet that the OS is tailored to. But you only need to use a Lenovo Yoga (any version) to get a taste of laptops to come. You only need to see the new Wacom drawing screen/computer to get a glimpse of future desktops. It'd a bit clunky now, but so was Windows 1 to 3.11. It will work itself out. Breathe in the paper bag, relax and enjoy the future of computing. It's bright.

15. leexgx

please stop :)
    I have an hole list of stuff I do not like on osx as well, but I can still use one the same as I can now as I could 15 years ago,
    if I had to switch to OSX now I really would have no problem with it for the most part (games)all I just need to buy an real mouse (the apple mouse sucks)

Linux (or should say distros ) are to fragmented to use really, I do not mind using command line or console but some of the commands on linux are stupid to type to fix simple stuff (programmers should think that normal users are going to use them) any way that's an topic in it self

I see using an computer from an normal user stance and I find windows 8 confusing and annoying to use when it should not be (yes I do know where stuff is now) but the fix is install startisback app, if I find it confusing to use, my customers would be clue less (the computer lessons would be useless or past 15 years of using windows that they had )

16. Nexxo

OK, again: apart from the Start Screen (which is not exactly rocket science) and the Charms menu, how is Windows 8 different from Windows 7?

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Any program that is used often goes in the list. It doesnt matter how it is opened, if you start the program or the program is started if you ckick a file type.
    You didnt used the last versions of Windows?

And again, where is the "most used" list in W8?
    About the StartMenu, No. About her selective blindness, yes.
    Where are the Microsoft provided options to disable Metro, Charms and StartScreen then?
    In 2019? :hehe: You really are an optimist. :thumb:

18. leexgx

nice (video, that looks ok to use really, icons around the screen No hidden sidebars or corners)

any way main thing is stuff is hidden when it should not be, things are not apparent what they do until you 1 find it by mistake or 2 you Google/youtube it

other issue is why do i have to use keyboard due to lack of touch screen (its not an apple pc so i should not need to use keyboard - that statement was about lack of right click on macs you had to press CMD to do it a bit ago or use an MS mouse that magically pressed CMD when you right clicked, think it still does)

where is the document folder in metro ? i have yet to find that yet (really trying to not google it :) ) guess i play with the laptops bit more

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There not happy with it hence the awful uptake, worse than when Vista was released.
    So far this is M$ biggest flop ever.

Windows 8 is basically windows 7 but with a GUI designed for tablets/touch devises that make using it awkward at best, and as the GUI is the main interface with your device i would say a hole lot has changed.
    Windows 8 bring nothing new technically to the table just a very disjointed, confusing, un-productive way of working.

20. Nexxo

Oh, I see. If Win8 doesn't work for you, it's the fault of the OS. If WinXP doesn't work for others, it's their fault. :p

Since when do you care who provides them? Wasn't Windows' greatest advantage that it is fully open and that you can install any software on it that you want?

Or you are being pedantic because you are lost for a good counter-argument. The date is arbitrary. The vision is not. But keep in mind that, you know, less than three years ago there were no tablets. Less than six years ago, no iPhone or derivatives. Look at us now. What do you think could happen in the next six years?

Still waiting to hear how, besides the Start Screen and the Charms Menu, Win8 is different from Win7.

And leexgx: the recent items for a program can be called up simply by right-clicking on the program icon pinned to the desktop taskbar. Alternatively, just open the run dialog box by pressing Win + R and type in "recent". There you can see your recent activities.

You can also create a shortcut of the "recent items" folder on your desktop and then pin it to the Start Screen. For this just right click on desktop and seclect New>Shortcut. In file location type the path C:/users/username/recent. You can also define a Hotkey for this from properties.

And after Vista we had Windows 7: huge success. So even if Windows 8 is not as successful as Windows 7 or even Vista, that does not mean Microsoft should reverse what it is doing anymore than it should have gone back to XP after Vista's lukewarm reception.

Apart from the Start Screen (which is not exactly rocket science) and the Charms menu, how is the GUI Windows 8 different from Windows 7?

Last edited: 20 Feb 2013