1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete MINI MOTO MAYHEM: Photo Dump

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 23 Mar 2013.

?

Which Colour

Poll closed 24 Sep 2013.
  1. UV Lime Yellow

31.3%
  2. Pastel Blue

68.8%
  1. Asouter

Asouter --------

Yeah that thingamajig is pretty cool and I'm well chuffed Phame is helping out :)

Last edited: 29 Apr 2013
  2. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Its a Fusion Faro Arm, my new toy! :D
    I will be purchasing a laser tracker for it so it makes it easier to re engineer parts.

Here is a the first off design for the res.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think Andy.
    I need to touch it up abit, like the outlet and inlet hose fittings.
    But is that the general shape you wanted?

Asouter likes this.
  3. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's spot on, I'll PM through the changes :D

4. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Looking great! Really like how the logo comes out of the res!

Just a small suggestion if I may :) I would give the top of the logo a slight 'arc' too. Not as much as the res itself, so you still get the difference in height, but just enough to not make it look as 'flat'. Just my opinion of course!

Asouter likes this.
  5. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Thats a good idea dude, im sure Andy will have a few more changes for me to do..
    Its only in design stage at the moment anyway.. :)

6. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers Azariel, That's an excellent idea. It would look a bit flat and the "arc" would soften it. Good thinking dude.

Okies just got in from work so PM on the way :D

7. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Model Update!

Ghosted Viewpoint
    [​IMG]

Rendered
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know Andy! :)

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Damn I love that res! and the Fusion Faro Arm... damn nice toy :D

Going to look awesome!

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

Ohh yeah, that hits the spot. Freakin awesome PM'd

10. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's Phames work and toy, but wow I can't get over how he's brought the design to life, Amazing

11. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Thanks dude, hopefully Andy will like the finished product! :D

Here is some different renders with LEDs and tube fittings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

That is really nice reservoir. :)

May I ask-do you plan to add some internal sections?

13. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers Pranja, on the original sketch there is a small piece of tube on the inlet, this will be fitted at a later date, I think I have already given Phame enough headaches for one day :)

14. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Hahah its fine man, any changes? :thumb:

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Nope we're there :thumb:

16. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Nice job on hiding the batteries and mounting the motor. I love the rez Idea beautiful work on both parts. Keep the updates coming!

17. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looking more and more interesting. I´m not a fan of these small bikes really, but what a concept!!

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers Mechh, I have had to revise how the motor is mounted, nothing too serious but i used quite a thin gauge of steel for the mounting plate, which flexed too much and I can see it moving when the chain puts the motor under load. I have been working on it today and replaced the strips with a single thicker plate which is very rigid and so all that flex has been removed. Will keep the updates coming, there's a lot to do.

Cheers Squid, It's certainly making the they old grey matter working, there's a whole heap of stuff to overcome but it's getting there.

As for the little bikes, I'm just into all kinds of bikes, at the moment I'm going through a sports bike phase, Ride an RSV Factory but I also race at weekends on little pitbikes, amazing fun and very competitive. It's what replaced the minimotos. Here's a Vid of them in action, I make a brief appearance on the second row on the grid, It might change your mind on how much fun these bikes really are. I'm in black and white leathers/ white helmet enjoy..

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 03/05/13

First things first I'm absolutely delighted to announce that Mini Moto Mayhem is now sponsored by

[​IMG]

A big thanks to Michael and welcome aboard. (I assume you have your own helmet)

So with the formalities done it's time to crack on with the update..

I mentioned that I had re-done the motor mounting plate, this was made out of a thicker gauge steel and now reduces the flex dramatically

[​IMG]

With that out the way it's time to focus on getting the seat unit mounted properly. The seat unit I have is from a different bike, no real worries there it means new brackets will need to be made for the it to fit properly, It is quite critical that it is done correctly as there needs to be no flex in the panels otherwise they'll eventually crack and break. I rummaged around in my sheds and found a hand full of fasteners from my sports bike

[​IMG]

Do you guys know the name of this type of fastener ? They are 1/4 turn quick release D ring DZUS fasteners (you're a clever bunch and already knew right ?) I'm going to use a lot of these on the body work to give it an authentic race bike feel.
    So I need a starting point to take all my measurements from, I will use the single mounting point near the headstock. I basically measured and bent a strip of steal, nothing flash but solid (still needs tidying)

[​IMG]

The sprung clip part of the fastener just slides into position

[​IMG]

The D ring part of the fastener is then poked through both holes and the spring gives a satisfying click and the assembly is locked into position, these are really nice and I'm amazed that they're not used on some of the car/hotrod based case mods.
    So here it is all in position.

[​IMG]

So that's the front of the seat unit secured, the back end still needs to be done (next update) but in the mean time when I test fitted the seat pad, something was niggling me.. the bolts just look plain ugly and needed sorting

[​IMG]

So after a bit of head scratching and a chat with the girl friend, she suggested that we could make a seat cover, I wanted it in red suede, but It would have to be a permanent fix, and so we settled on red velvet, So I was rather fortunate, the girl friend dragged out the sewing machine and upholstered the seat pad for me. Result :thumb: (The trick is to make them think it was their idea) This is a gorgeous colour and I'm going to have the frame powder coated in the same colour.
    Think I'll run the same colour Mayhems coolant too

[​IMG]

Ok Crackin on, it's time to address the mother board tray, remember the old PC that was gutted ?

[​IMG]

I cut out the the part marked out in black with my Dremel, the edges filed down and the whole thing sanded down. After a coat of primer, I riveted it back together and very happy with the result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saved the springy bit for the expansion slots ( Does anyone know what they're called ?) this was easily cut into it's new shape with a pair of scissors.

[​IMG]

So know it's time to see how it will fit on the bike

[​IMG]

I haven't ruled out using a riser ribbon for the graphics card, I need to check out how the belly pan fits as that will protect the mother board from boots/feet when riding the bike.

[​IMG]

That's all for now but just to say again, Freakin brilliant that Mayhems is on board, THANK YOU.
    (I now have a clear colour scheme and race graphics in mind) :thumb:

Last edited: 8 May 2013
  20. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Congratulations! This is some great news!
    Oh and nice progress by the way ;)