1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete MINI MOTO MAYHEM: Photo Dump

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 23 Mar 2013.

?

Which Colour

Poll closed 24 Sep 2013.
  1. UV Lime Yellow

31.3%
  2. Pastel Blue

68.8%
  1. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Be careful, she might read this and still have your nuts for lunch!

I mentioned my dearest girl friend in my Pi build a few times, and after leaving the bit-tech page open on the iPad once I was in for a treat....

Anyway, looking great as usual! curious how the entire paint job in the red-ish color will look in combination with the velvet!

Ow and congratulations on the sponsor of course!

2. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers man, I'm chuffed to nuts to have Mayhems on board and good to have some support :thumb:

LOL, yeah i did own up to that comment and got one of those looks, yup exactly the one your thinking of right now... so discretion being the better part of valor, I'll change the subject (digging a hole here I think)

Only the frame will be powder coated in that colour, the body work will be a combination of blue and white and an orgy of Mayhems logos (tastefully done of course)

Cheers for following the build log Azariel

Last edited: 6 May 2013
  3. Asouter

Asouter --------

Update 08/05/14

Sponsored by

[​IMG]

On the last update I mentioned that I was working on the seat support, I have had to raise the seat by about an inch to accommodate the battery under the speed hump, but the upshot is that it's given me more room under the seat to fit the other battery and more room under the tank for "bits" too

To raise the seat I have used some old handle bar risers from another bike, they have been chopped in half, drilled and tapped. The supports are made from aluminium bar and again chopped to length,drilled and tapped. The bolts have been cut to length so I don't have unsightly threads sticking out from the frame.

[​IMG]

Fitted to the frame, it is really sturdy and I will be able to sit on the bike without the body work cracking.

[​IMG]

View from underneath the seat unit, The seat bolts directly onto the supports.

[​IMG]

With the seat supports fitted, I can now locate the second battery tray, yes with new cutting discs I got round to making the second one.
    I looked at the old case that had been chopped up and decided to use the rolled edge that the panel latches onto, this will maintain the angle of the top of the frame, it also adds some rigidity to the support and will stop it sagging under the weight of the battery.

[​IMG]

I have riveted the brace to the battery tray, it's temporary fix, and will be disassembled for finish and paint (the parts list is growing rapidly for finish and paint) the rivets are nice and flat and won't interfere with how the battery sits.

[​IMG]

Finally both batteries in place, you'll notice that the front seat support will make a rather handy retainer for the battery, the rear battery will need a strap to hold it in place.

[​IMG]

With the batteries and the motor now fitted, I will now look to fit the motor control unit, get it wired up and do a test ride...:D

4. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Don't you dare go elsewhere matey, I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I did up a mini moto for my Dad for ornamental purposes (Foggy Petronas Racing rep) so I have a double interest in your build!

5. Asouter

Asouter --------

LOL, The log will still be posted here, but I think it's time to spread my wings a bit

Foggy Petronas, flippin eck that's blast from the past, it must have been difficult getting that turquoise paint matched up.

6. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Didn't worry too much about exact colour matches. Was an old scraped, rusty Chinese bike that I picked up for next to nothing but turned out ok after completely stripping it, polishing and spraying.

[​IMG]

Asouter likes this.
  7. Asouter

Asouter --------

AWESOME...Cracking paint work

The bike I'm using is an old Chinese one, I think it would be a crime to chop up an original Italian machine. The bikes are so small that they do make wonderful ornaments, Mini Moto Mayhem is going to have some fantastic paint work. The paint will probably (read will) cost more than the bike... Oh well.

Thanks for posting that, It will give people a better visual of a completed bike :thumb:

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice progress & expensive upcoming paint job :D look forward to it, you got a nice range of very different projects racking up & all done to an awesome standard. :rock::dremel:

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

10. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 21/05/13

This update is about getting the motor running and getting some drive to the back wheel. I have been down Maplins and got some connectors, I couldn't get the other connections to fit what was already on the motor control unit. So simple solution, change them for something readily available.

[​IMG]

I have an old three pin fan extension, so I will rob the connectors to use with the throttle.

[​IMG]

I have removed the brake and brake light connections, as there is mechanical brakes fitted and I really don't like the idea of an electronic brake, I really don't think you have the same level of feel as a good old fashioned pads and disc set up.

[​IMG]

So, first things first, I fitted the motor control unit onto the top battery tray, a positive on one battery was connected to the negative connection on the other battery. This will give me the 24 Volts that I need for the motor.

[​IMG]

This has highlighted a small problem with the battery and wire being visible through the frame and it looks awful. I hadn't removed the brackets from the frame in that area, so I can use those points to mount a small panel.

[​IMG]

It's an awkward shape. I placed a piece of card behind the frame and drew around the inside of the frame to get the shape I needed.

[​IMG]

With the panel cut out I can use it as a template and transfer it onto a piece of white plexi, a logo will be placed there and so I will be searching for another sponsor, I have someone in mind and hopefully they'll see the potential of having their brand on the bike, rather than their products hidden inside a case.

[​IMG]

That's all for now, but the bike is running and i have been out for a ride, I will share the results on the next update. I've been to busy giggling to myself to get a video done but I will sort that out, once I've stopped having fun on the bike :hehe:

11. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Can't wait a video of EL mini moto. Awesome. :)

12. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Looking good Andy, you should get your res pretty soon.. I have had so much to do, what with the laser, staff and workshop moves.. Will sort it out for you soon! Sorry for taking so long, wouldn't normally!

I love this build! :thumb:

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice cover solution. :)

14. Asouter

Asouter --------

I'll post in the next few days, I have to wait for the weekend...just really busy

Cheers James, No worries about the res, I know what it's like when you're busy :)

Cheers Wayne, I was going to get it cut professionally with a inlaid Mayhems logo, but that's quite an expensive way of going about it when a plexi panel and decal will do just as well. Just hoping for a different logo to put on it, The Mayhems logo needs some company me thinks. :)

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 30/05/13

A quick update on progress, just tying up some loose ends on stuff that's been done and not added to the log.

First off is the radiator, I've gone with a small 160mm Rad. This gives me more options on mounting hardware, This is fitted with some simple brackets cut out with the dremel and screwed directly onto the frame

[​IMG]

The rad now sits inside the frame and gives me more room to mount the motherboard tray, I'm going to angle it so that it follows the line of the frame. The previous idea of mounting it flat kinda dragged the whole bike down and I wasn't completely happy with it, so now it looks something like this

[​IMG]

That bottom engine mounting plate can now be chopped off, it was the one thing about the frame I really didn't like as it was just poorly finished and a bit of an eye sore.

I have made up a rear seat pad this is just for show and will be upholstered to match the seat, I have changed my mind on the colour and have some new material but that's for another update.

[​IMG]

I have fitted the ignition barrel, I went with this option because if I had just gone with a kill switch I could imagine the first thing people are going to do when they first see the bike is twist the throttle and the bike will be off the table .... so key needed I think.

[​IMG]

Nothing too difficult just a hole with a slot to stop the assembly spinning when the key is turned. It does give it a nice feel to be able to turn on the bike with a key.

[​IMG]

Next up is the PSU, I had this rather nice unit from Silverstone delivered today.

[​IMG]

It's a nice little unit and should supply all the power I need, with it being so small I can fit it exactly where I want it and the brackets shouldn't be to hard to figure out.

[​IMG]

There's a few cables so be sleeved but i already have some sleeving, but that's for later. This pic should give you some idea at just how small this PSU is

[​IMG]

It's going to fit into this space here, I do need to remove a few of the tubes either side, but it will allow me to run some of the cables through the frame.

[​IMG]

That's all for now... apart from the where it's at pic :cooldude:
    (the vid I promised will be posted tomorrow)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 31 May 2013
  16. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

This is awesome!

I want to sit on it and just drive. I know it is not finished,but look uber cool. :D

17. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Looks great! Not too sure about the seat material though, but I think you already said you were going to replace that :)

I vote for white 'leather' with grey stitches :p

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Great work Andy. Lookin nice and mean.

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers Pranja, just off now to do the vid, but best of all no deadline :)

What do gay stitches look like ? ohh just had to re-read that. The white leather is a good idea and grey stitching would be very cool, however the cover needs to be able to come off to allow the seat to be removed/fitted, the material is stretchy and helps alot with that.

I have some nice blue crushed velvet, it will imitate Aurora 2's swirl effect... the bike is very much gonna be Mayhems inspired with colour, White and blue with some nice swirly flake.

Cheers Andy, There's so much left to do. It's a good job I like my bikes, otherwise I'd be running out of steam. Talking about jobs Congrats on getting that job yesterday :clap::clap:

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Thanks mate. Was such a relief more than anything. Was a great end to the day after ordering a butt load of aluminium (i cam highly recommend aluminium warehouse, they're cheap as chips and will precut to the requires size) and a few watercooling bits. However i now have to go buy some shirts and stuff for work from primark. But, you know, priorities an all ;-)