1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official CPC & Bit-Tech Chimps Challenge 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 2 Feb 2011.

1. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

my immature 19 year old mind.... i knew it would come in handy some day :hehe:

2. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I have put this into the CC 20011 forum as an alternate suggestion to having team caps and it seems to be getting reasonable interest! It was sort of suggested from someone on here last year but I have built on it and stuck it up there to test the water.

Obviously this is based on 10x current daily PPD and not all the team will be taking part so its up to individual teams to generate and motivate their users to take part but I think it will be much more of a competition and more fun?? :naughty:

What do you think? :thumb:

3. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

sounds like a good idea

first thing that came to mind when i read about the 10x the 24hr average

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sounds like a good idea overall, but as said, got to avoid people doing that.

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

we need our selves some blade servers :)

Anyone fancy comming with me to rob IBM?

LOL

6. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

If your going to pay my leccy bill :lol:.

7. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

the leccy bill!!! i'll be in as long as someone else does my time when we get caught! i dont want to be the one who drops the soap in the shower, bends down to pick it up and then :eeek::eeek::eeek:

8. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Some multiple of their scores in last year's challenge?

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

This is a much better idea. Racing to an arbitrary number is pointless, EVGA will win easily. Teams should be measured by their ability to increase their PPD.

10. AnniGTI_Court

AnniGTI_Court What's a Dremel?

+1 Now I have a stable 920, I can get my old Core2 Extreme Edition up and running and use the 3 x EVGA 8800GTX which are still in their boxes.

coolamasta likes this.
  11. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

A multiplication of the teams current PPD sounds good, although perhaps for fairness it should be based on the average PPD of the month prior to the competition to stop less scrupeless teams lowering their target PPD just before the competition kicks off to make their target easier to reach.

coolamasta likes this.
  12. coolamasta

That sounds a good idea Christopher, will put that on the board :thumb:

Yes I agree, again will put that up on the board :)

James - do you think we can get something in CPC to try and recruit readers into joining in?
    Also because we are getting on this early this year it will give us decent time to get on top of our game? :naughty:

13. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Not sure If my comments are welcomed as I no longer fold for Bit-tech (I moved to Hexus as I'm more active over there), but I do still subscribe to CPC, however I'd love to be involved in this years Chimps challenge for Bit-tech.

I'd love to see a return to CPC doing articles about how to mod rather than just reviewing the latest hardware and games "a la PC Format" - An example of an article I'd like to see would be something on setting up a folding farm

1. Selecting the components (basic build/shared functionality server or maybe a dedicated machine that's now being replaced (Socket 1156 or Core 2 Quad etc).
    2. Cooling the components (from just cheap and chearful, watercooling it or A.N. Other suggestion like Peltiers, chillers etc)
    3. What PPD that can be expected for your hardware, and the effect of overclocking

Sure, this is me simply asking CPC to cover more modding articles, I'll admit that straight out the bag, but having a reason for that focus such as the Chimp challenge would be a great theme, and right in there with the current stuff covered by CPC.

Just my tuppence worth.... Sorry if this is construed as thread hi-jacking, wrong thread or just plain inappropriate.

Fold on dudes!

14. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It all depends on the timing really, what date does the 2011 CC kick off?

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hey tattysnuc, sounds like a good idea
    Since the folding team is quite a big part of Bit-Tech, wouldn't be a bad, nor outrageous idea o have an article on setting up a farm, including room for expansion, rather than just a single computer etc

Tattysnuc likes this.
  16. coolamasta

No official date/time yet but prob early May (5th last year)

17. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

If it's May time then we'll need to put something in Issue 93, as that goes on-sale April 14th. So, if we do, then are you happy to write a small (say around 300 words) intro to what the CC is and how/when readers can sign up? This would need to be with me by March 1st.

18. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

[​IMG]

Here ya go.

19. coolamasta

I am happy to write something up James if everyone doesn't mind me running the CC again this year. :) Otherwise im sure Saspro will help us write something up for the mag.

OOOooo I quite like that mate, nice work :thumb: Do you think you can get the "Chimps Challenge 2011" bigger so when its reduced to Avatar size it can still be read?

Also do you think you could get a CPC logo on the bottom left and shrink the bit-tech one slightly or something, whatever you think so both logos are there as its a joint folding team? :thumb:

20. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Looks like they are having a lively party! :D:thumb::clap: