1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official CPC & Bit-Tech Chimps Challenge 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 2 Feb 2011.

1. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Chimp on the left has relived him self over the amazing GTX580 :)

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Lol, Looks like I will have an extra folding rig ready for the challenge! Overall I am hoping to produce a minimum of 20k ppd (the new rig isn't going to be anything amazing, just a couple of 9600GSO's) but of course if I can afford I'll be adding even more hardware!

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Maybe the 24hr average in January will be a good measure for the 10x rule - too late to affect that one!

I will try get a few rigs going for this, not sure if my flatmates will approve though... was paying an extra $100 in the month last time round

coolamasta likes this.
  4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I would be more than happy to help write this if help is needed.

I know I haven't been too active since the last CC (it doesn't seem like anywhere near a year ago!) but I have been planning! :naughty: I'll be taking part this year and will hopefully be able to provide around 120K PPD for the duration of the challenge. And for those of you who knew my previous highest production capacity, yes, that is a large jump. :)

Last edited: 15 Feb 2011
    coolamasta likes this.
  5. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Well had to cut down the folding recently due to the leccy bill but been part of the challenge for last two years now. I will happily turn the folding rig in the garage back on for it. The 9800GX2 needs a workout :thumb:

6. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Same as me with the bills, and hardware failling .Sure I could get the old girl online for some more fun :)

7. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

I will be contributing a measly 2k ppd or so. The recession has bit.

Coolamasta did a good job last year and Saspro did a good job the year before in trying circumstances. Either one would be great this year.

If the average points thing is adopted, I think it would be a big advantage for the Canadians. Last year was their first in the Chimp competition and two Canadian folding teams produced a single Chimp team, finishing in third place.

I would like some rule so that whoever finishes last does not have to trudge on for weeks after the other teams have finished. Last year it was the Australians, the year before it was us.

How about those aussies? In the past few weeks, they have had a hurricane, a bush fire, and Queensland has tried to join Atlantis beneath the waves. They don't seem to have mentioned any of this on their folding forum.

8. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Might not be a high scorer but count me in and im sure i can stealth install it on a few relatives computers as they tend to use me as a free it department whenever they have a problem. This can be a wayof them giving something back, or so im telling myself!

9. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Count me in, production has been really low of late with moving house and everything but i'm sure I can fire up some more machines just for CC :D

coolamasta likes this.
  10. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Almost time for my annual change of avatar huh? Count me in.

Agree with Arthur, for consistency and experience, either sas or coola for captain (if they're willing).

My own preference would be for all teams to fold for 2 weeks to stop the extremes of some being finished in 2 days whereas others are slogging away for over a month. Happy for the captain to have as much latitude as they need on the rules.

coolamasta likes this.
  11. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Thanks for everyones input, will make peoples opinions known on the chimps forum and big thanks to those that will jump back on board just for the challenge :thumb:

Matt (Unicorn) is going to start mocking up something to put in CPC mag which we'll work on and get to James ready to publish :D

12. BJS

BJS What's a Dremel?

I'm in. Should be good for about 50k.:thumb:

I agree with what Phoenicis says. Certainly the rules need updating to give every team a fair chance, but I'm happy to go along with whatever the more experienced folders decide.

coolamasta likes this.
  13. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I've had a brain wave, what do you all think, I've posted it on the CC forum for comments:

Just been sat thinking, hows about this I just thought of - a week or 2 week drag race making as much PPD as possible in a set time frame with a deductible percentage based on the points produced from 3 months, I will use Dec, Jan and Feb as examples although I know we don't have Feb stats yet so I made them up! The average points are then worked out and 1% will grant you 1 chimp point, 2 random team examples:

EVGA - Dec: 444,136,941 Jan: 492,405,716 Feb: 476,616,633 making the average of those 3 months = 471,053,096
    1% average of that is 4,710,530 which is worth - 1CP (CHIMP POINT)

MaxPC - Dec: 123,616,586 Jan: 140,863,169 Feb: 122,323,665 making the average of those 3 months = 128,934,473
    1% average of that is 1,289,344 which is worth - 1CP (CHIMP POINT)

So say we have a 2 week drag race and EVGA do 242,000,000 and MaxPC do 68,000,000 points in that time, divide them by there 1% point scores as above making -

EVGA: 242,000,000 / 4,710,530 = 51.3 CHIMP POINTS
    MaxPC: 68,000,000 / 1,289,344 = 52.7 CHIMP POINTS

MaxPC wins!

The more I think about it the more I like it as it will be down to the captains to get as many of their team as possible to fold for the challenge, it will also encourage them to go else ware to get people on the team thus promoting the folding community and helping the science which at the end of the day is the most important. ;D

I hope all that makes sense, what do you think??

14. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That makes a lot of sense to me and seems very sensible and fair.

15. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

seems a little complex but makes it alot fairer. i reckon it could work

16. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

The maths makes me head hurt (it's been one of those days) but the principle sounds very good.

17. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

To be fair, teams don't need to know the maths, just that the higher they increase their ppd the more Chimp Points they get.

18. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Certainly worth putting the idea to the other captains.

I think the numbers used to calculate the ratio between historical points and Chimp Points would need to be made very clear to everyone before the race begins, but that shouldn't be a problem. Nevertheless, there will be complaints :sigh:

19. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

There will be complaints from EVGApes no doubt

20. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

I think this is the best idea, simple and fair, though I think 2 weeks is a bit long, perhaps 7 or 10 days.