1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress outcaster - Updated 30/11/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by RedManc, 9 Oct 2011.

1. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Youre building on a 2600k right?
    With an Asus board?
    Dude the EFI in these new boards makes OCing SOOOOOO easy.
    THe fact that your chip in UNLOCKED gives you the hint that OCing is intended. If youre not OCing then why buy a K chip in the first place?

Are you trolling? :p

2. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

genuinly never overclock and had no intention of doing so but .... I guess ... ok ill do a little.

more to the point am I going to need another radiator!>?!?!

I'm still not convinced ill be able to turn it on :)

3. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

So heres five little photos for you ... warning they are garbage due to the fact it late and my lighting is terrible but I hope you enough anyway :)

I've been working on the Power Supply sleeving for a few day. Erm warranty voided :duh:

[​IMG]

Remember to mark your wires BEFORE you start removing them no matter how excited you are about it! :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

The tools i've uesd to sleeve :hehe:
    [​IMG]

TADA!! :eeek::eeek::jawdrop::jawdrop::eeek::eeek:
    [​IMG]

I'm 97% happy with how this has turned out I love the sleeve, just waiting to see if the power supply still works and I think I need to heatshrink again after a little more practice :D
    [​IMG]

4. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Pretty nice for a first time!!! Good continuation!! :)

Don't worry, there is a first time for everything!! ;)

5. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thankyou!

Yeah, just been out to the shop and picked up a psu tester.

Good News - PSU Tester Works!

Bad News - PSU Doesn't Work!

Looking into the manual now ... looks like it wired back up wrong which is odd as my drawings suggest differently but then again the manual is probably right!

6. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

So after 4 hours +, 5 new crimps, more shrink, 1 Lamptron modding tool atx pin remover.

I took these pictures!1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh the big blue light means its working!!!

7. dmcgrath

dmcgrath Master of Pancakes

Following this one now. Always fun to see a first mod come together. And you're doing yours a LOT faster than I pulled mine together.

8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

What you lack in photographic skills you gain in BLING ADDING though :)

9. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Hi Red Nice work ..

I was looking through your intro and noticed the bit about adding a second rad, I have the same cpu / mobo / 8gb of ram(air cooled not wet) and two 580's watered down and oc'd slightly, in series through a 360 rad I just added three phobia spacers between the lower set of fans and the temps are great.
    You probably won't require a second rad.
    :) Like the log ... looking forward to your update

10. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Very good for a first mod - going to follow this one.

Oh, some advice, coming from my own "mistake": sleeve 1 wire at a time - in that way you'll never have to put markings on the wires to see where they belong. Muuuuuch easier that way, trust me...

11. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and comment, although I guess you have bags of free time now ;) Should have an update soon.

Thanks for the help, I think ive decided against the second radiator if it isn't enough which by the sounds of it it might be more than enough I could always aircool the ram ... Mhmm nah not shiny enough!

Advice is always appreciated however late ;) I think I figured out how I ballsed it up so much, seems I numbers the wires up looking at the front of the connector and reinserted then looking at the back whilst also upside down .... yeah it didnt go well :D

I have done some work on the case over the last few days and Ive been naughty again and not taken many photos but i'm going to try and get some up in the next hour or so :)

Thank you for watching and commenting!

12. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Got a little bit carried away as Ive said with the installation of things so thought id post some pictures before I finished it and you saw nothing :)

I hate that I have had to used anti-kink springs but that pipe just wouldn't stop kinking not matter what length it was cut to!!!
    [​IMG]

Ive moved the BLu-Ray to the bottom 5 1/4" bay so make room for the radiator fittings and because disc drives at the top are sooo predictable :D
    [​IMG]

Ive installed two of the HDD's with scythe HD stabilizer II's but think i might purchase some hiromu or whatever they are called as they look a lot better, also want one for the SSD (over kill but i'm worth it ;))
    [​IMG]

Whilst being VERY tired last night I was messing around with tubing and for some reason which now makes no sense what so ever to me I came up with this superb idea !! :idea:
    [​IMG]

Removed the Res from its temporary home, I'm going to install it underneath the 5 1/4" bays with the oulet dropping vertically into the pump. Also going to buy a 90deg fitting for the radiator outlet to attach to the res.
    [​IMG]

As you all know I'm new to this world and I am a little concerned about fittings, when the hose is installed should the compression fittings close flush to the screw fitting or should there be a little gap...

Thanks for looking and commenting again :)

13. Nutman

This reminds me of another great piece of advice: get a PSU tester. No matter how hard you try, you'll **** it up eventually. ;)

14. OC Maximus

OC Maximus What's a Dremel?

Looking very nice so far. Nice job mate!

15. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Nope they will not close flush. There will be a small bit of thread still showing.

16. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I will live each day by this motto Nutman :D ... I want to buy more PSUs to test now :)

Thank you for the praise Maximus its nice to know whos watching :)

Thanks for the help mav, should have asked this much earlier ive scratched a fitting trying to use needle nose plyers to shut them nevermind! :D

So guys and girls, im waiting for a couple of new deliveries.
    One from our Slovenian friends at EK and another from the guys over at Scan .. should should have picked this one up but I free delivery through bit-tech for the wins!

Not a massive update but I haven't been completely ideal this past week or so.

Yukky stock cables...
    [​IMG]

... mhmm another shot of yukky cables!
    [​IMG]

Ahhh MDPC goodnessS!
    [​IMG]

All sleeved and shrunk! I also painted the connectors with the trusty sharpie!
    [​IMG]

Got a fan controller, mounts and some adaptor fittings on route!

17. Nutman

Neat. However, you're doing the same "mistakes" as me: on some of the wires the sleeving isn't close enough to the plug - and the heatshrink isn't the same lenght.

But all that is kinda hard to master - it ONLY comes with practice.... and it's kinda nit-picking. ;)

18. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I going to spend more time this weekend hopefully sleeving some other cables So hopefully ill get it even better this time. But in the mean time .. UPDATE!!

Sleeved my dads glasses and my own ... sweeet!
    [​IMG]

Got my fan controller .. bit disappointed that the brushed effect goes horizontal and the case it goes vertical but I might have semi solution when it comes to fitting it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got my adaptors from EK shame they don't do black nickel adaptors yet but I don't think the difference to noticable to the untrained eye.
    [​IMG]

Shocking photo of the leak test which is going on behind me but it almost midnight and im tired!
    [​IMG]

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Glasses sleeving is genius! Awesome mod too. White, black and hint of red is always good and sometimes great :thumb:

20. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thank you Throbbi! My dad has stolen sleeve for his glasses ... hope I can finish the build :D

I have just reconnected the pump to carry on testing and it seems the pump is broken!!

Instead of continuously spinning It is pumping in short and irregular bursts :wallbash::wallbash: